Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Hughes500Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I have been using a REI Camp Dome 2 for a while now. It's good quality, packs down small, has two poles that are the same size (makes setup easier) and has plenty of room inside. And it is only $100 (plus another $25 for the footprint). Here is a photo without the included rain fly on it. -Steve

Hughes500Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Ba

With tents, you'll regret going really cheap I'm afraid.

If you have equipment that is easy to use and functions well .............. you'll be apt to use it more often. I'd shoot for something more "middle of the road" pricewise. I think high quality expensive four season mountaineering tents are usually overkill for bike camping ......... unless you are going to be doing a LOT of it.

I agree with looking at REI and Campmor. But if i were you, I'd go to the vendors section here on ADV and look for the thread for Full Throttle Camping. Every Fall/Winter they have a "yardsale" and try to move stock to get ready for next year. They have some great deals on some quality gear. I've also found the reps there to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 450
Don't buy

Don't buy for a one week trip.

I've owned the Timberline (a good, cheap tent), a North Face ( a good expensive Tent) and currently have a Mountain Hardware. If your not sure what you want and it's for a one week trip I would suggest renting. Talk to the people, set up what they recommend or offer and go with what works for you.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,526
I got a killer deal in Flea Market for an expensive ($400+) tent from Mountain Hardwear. It is pretty light, but it packs pretty big, even $40 tent from Walmart fits in a smaller sack. It also has a low roof and the material is very thin, although I had no problems with it. While weight is the top priority for a backpacker, I'd look for a tent that packs small for bike travel.
For the best bugs and moisture protection pick a mostly mesh tent with a separate rainfly.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
We invested in a good tent last year for our trip to the SW. we bought a Marmott from REI. We had it setup in the store so we could test it out and see how big it was.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
REI used to rent tents but don't know if they still do that. I bought my first one -- an older model REI Half Dome -- on eBay from a guy that was upgrading to a newer model of the same tent. Price was right, tent was well cared for & perfect, so I figured if I didn't like moto-camping I could still sell the tent for what I paid. I used that tent for years. In fact, I only bought another one to get more headroom. The older REI Half Dome is still a hard tent to beat. Several other mfrs make a similar model.

Who knows--you may find you like camping enough to do it more. Especially if your equipment holds up & you have a good experience.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
I usually get out once a year for a week long trip and have found a Coleman Hooligan 2 more than adequate for my needs. It's got space for your gear inside, a vestibule and a rainfly that extends to the ground. It's not the smallest tent around but if you have the space it will serve the occasional 3 season camper well for <$60. If you don't believe me read the reviews on amazon.

2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT

tastroman screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 11:37 AM
tastroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
jharrod79
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I did a lot of research before I bought my tent a couple of months ago. Cost and size were the deciding factors for me. I bought the REI Quarter Dome T2. It was about 250 dollars at the local REI store during a sale. When it's in the bag, it fits in the factory BMW GSA panniers with less than a inch to spare. It has two doors, so you don't have to climb over your companion when exiting or entering. It has two vestibules for storing wet gear outside, though they are pretty small. The sides of the tent are almost vertical which makes it feel very large. The only downside that I've found after about twenty nights of camping is the pole set up can be a little tricky since it's one unit.

If money wasn't a concern, the Big Anges two person tent would have been my first choice.
jharrod79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
mudpi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
To everyone doing a lot of motorcycle camping,

Am going to spend a week in the summer riding in VT and camping at night. I need to get a tent but do not know what to get. Are the cheaper Walmart tents ok for this or do I need to go a little higher like the REI tents. I don't want to be wet if it rains but don't want to spend too much for a maybe once a year tent.

Any suggestions?
I have been told that REI are tree huggers that are making laws to keep adv riding to the roads and out of the woods so I will not support them Campmor is a good place to buy a tent. I have used a Timberline for several years like the idea that you do not need to thread poles. sets up as an a-frame
mudpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Buy what you want and buy from the place you feel comfortable, but DO NOT ignore the less expensive tents you can find at WalMart and other like outlets. The people who say inexpensive won't work don't know of what they speak. Based on my experience, and many others! Waiting to be pounced upon, I remain a loyal ADV'r!
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,064
Buy decent quality first, get something with a little more room than you think you'll need. If you are stuck in it while raining for a day or two you will be thankful to have enough room for your gear and to move around a little bit too. Last, the fewer number of poles the easier it will be to set up.

Camping is fun and relaxing if you have the right gear !

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...get a hammock and sleep happy.
I've heard that they don't take kindly to them at national/state parks and such because the tree feels pain when you tie a rope around it or some such eco-nonsense.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
GearHd6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I have an REI Passage 2 (about $160) that has performed very well for me. It's roomy for just one person but I wouldn't want to have 2 people in it. I have been in some heavy rain with and have had no leaks. Make sure you get the matching ground cloth.
GearHd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
Buy decent quality first, get something with a little more room than you think you'll need. If you are stuck in it while raining for a day or two you will be thankful to have enough room for your gear and to move around a little bit too. Last, the fewer number of poles the easier it will be to set up.

Camping is fun and relaxing if you have the right gear !

Mike
No, buy CHEAP first. Find what you like and don't like about the cheap tent, throw it away then buy the expensive tent that has the features you want.

Buy the expensive tent first and it doesn't work and you are stuck with your mistake for a long time.

And do a couple of overnighters first - any new tent and a two week camping holiday is asking for grief.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
Got2Moto
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 505
Kelty 2.1

+1 for Campmor. I have had lots of good dealings with them.

I purchased this Kelty 2.1 for solo camping about 6 years ago
using it a few weeks a year in both dry/hot and stormy weather.

Lots of mesh and a great rain fly with plenty of room for my gear
including an extra long big Agnes bag.
And I really like having the two doors.

Real fast up and down with alum poles and packs away great on
my 650. (About a 22" long loaf of bread.)

Plus if I ever will sell it, It wouldn't last much more than a day
on the ADV flea market re-cooping about 1/2 my investment.

Now, Pads on the other hand, I've gone through many looking
for the right one for my older bones. I hate not sleeping soundly.

Have fun out there! Noth'n like bike camping!