User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Looking at a used LC4?

I was asked this morning via PM about what to look for when buying a '02 KTM 640A.

As I had a bit of time before I had to go do things and stuff, I wrote back what I think is a good, although not necessarily complete by any means, list of things to look for... and an opinion on buying used LC4s in general.

I thought I'd share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.B.
Hello Creeper. I thought I'd ask you since you seem to be very knowledgeable in regard to the KTM 640's. There is a 02 KTM 640 Adventure with 12,000 miles on it for sale in my area. I've ridden with the guy once. He's asking $5000 for the bike. I'm going to go take a look at it tonight or tomorrow. He says he faithfully maintains it and does a complete tear down every winter. What should I be looking for? Oh the bike has new rims due to a recall as well.
Thanks
B.
The price is a little high for an "average price"... but if it's as well maintained as you say, it might be worth it.
If I were to offer up my '03 for sale, I'd have a hard time parting with it for less than $7K... proper care and attention plays a big part in bike values as far as I'm concerned.
A used but exceptionally well maintained (the phrase "adult owned" pops to mind) 640A can be worth far more than the "average bike". One that is mistreated by the owner... and "treated" to a once a year service in a shop by some uncaring, pimple-faced, I-pod listening, text messaging instead of talking like a normal human-fuckin' being, low IQ punk.

For a '02 to be worth $5000, bearing in mind that they take a bit of a hit compared to '03 and later due to all the improvements that occurred in '03, it would have to be very, very, very clean.

I always look first at chain and sprockets... they should look near new, with a well lubed and properly adjusted chain.

Get down on hands and knees with a flashlight and look for leaks:
  • Beneath the countershaft sprocket.
  • Around the upper left corner of the head rocker cover.
  • Around the front left exhaust flange.
  • Around the head and base gasket area.
  • Around the kickstart/shift shaft area.
These are the most common leak locations for any LC4.

Look also for:
  • Weepy fork seals.
  • Leaky shock absorber.
  • Condition of brake pads and rotors.
  • Condition and tension of spokes.
  • Front/rear wheel/axle alignment.
  • Exhaust system cracks and leakage.
  • "If the air filter looks like a botany experiment gone awry"... the owner might be a redneck. (Thanks to woodsrider for that tip!)
  • Fuel system leakage and signs of staining.
  • Condition of all rubber hoses... cracks and leakage.
  • "Vehicle alignment". Meaning... sit on the bike and look at bars, forks etc... does it all look straight to you?
  • Condition of the engine oil.
  • When you're on the bike, and you bounce up and down on the suspension... does it squeak and squawk or is it quiet and "fluid sounding".
  • Check that all hand controls and lighting work.
  • Check the adjustment and condition of the clutch cable, throttle and de-compression cables.
  • Check for headlight lens cracks... they are expensive lights.
When you start the bike, bear in mind that LC4s are noisy engines on a good day... but you shouldn't hear any "defined" loud noises, just a bunch of general muffled clicks and clacks.
Put a rag over the muffler with the engine runnning... the engine should have some noise, but not sound like it's eating itself alive.
  • Ask about valve lash adjustment frequency and if the owner has noticed any trends in valve recession or any surprise increases in lash.
  • Ask about oil and filter change frequency... at least every 3K miles or less is preferable.
  • Ask about steering head bearing service, rear suspension linkage service... and about water pump seal failure and repairs.
  • Ask if the transmission bearing has been upgraded. (Thanks Rad!)
  • Does it have the recall front wheel? (This applies to '01 thru '03 640A only) (Thanks Drifty!)
I'm running out of stuff off the top of my head.... so at this point, you're on your own.
LC4s prior to '03 get hosed a bit, but only in comparison to '03 and later. The earlier 640As were, in there time, the pinnacle of competition grade, single cylinder, DS-Adventure bikes.
When you look at buying a used KTM... consider you are buying something more than a disposable, ride-it-till-it-blows-and-toss-it-on-the-scrap-heap motorcycle.

The current model LC4 has come to an end. I'm not suggesting that fact rates a premium for a used bike... but a nice example of an '02 deserves a continued place in the world, IMO.

Best 'O luck,
C

creeper screwed with this post 11-15-2006 at 10:09 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Lostsoul
Tormented and restless

Oddometer: 32
My recommendation is (if you can possibly afford it) is to go with the newer bike. I saw that a 05 with 80 miles on it recently sold for $6,600.00 and they ofen go for less. If you’re already looking at around $5,000 for the 02, I would go the extra for a newer bike.

In my opinion, these motorcycles are kind of like dogs in that the original purchase price turns out to be fairly insignificant when you take into consideration the time effort and money you will more than likely put into it over the course of ownership. I wouldn’t quibble over a few hundred dollars up front.

Having recently purchased a 01 with very low miles (1200) and paid under 4k for it, 5K seems a bit high. My friend (Badfish2) also just bought one (may have been Gaspipe’s old bike) for around 4K

I can tell that it is one the most fun bikes I have owned. I am confident you will be so happy with a 640 Adv. After you ride it, you will soon forget what you paid for it.

My .02
Good Luck!!! Woof woof
Lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #3
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
It may have been in Creeper's post, but get a specific service, repair history. Problem areas are; leak'n top cover, water pump, leak'n fork seals, breaking spokes. Did it have a main bearing upgrade done and who did it?
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
It may have been in Creeper's post, but get a specific service, repair history. Problem areas are; leak'n top cover, water pump, leak'n fork seals, breaking spokes. Did it have a main bearing upgrade done and who did it?
I did mention everything you listed Rad... but that damn transmission bearing! I always seem to forget that.

Thanks for mentioning it... slipped my empty little mind
Old 11-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,031
Good advice, here.

If it's an 02, see if the front wheel has been replaced under the recall.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
In addition to the above, it also might be telling to take a peak at the air filter. If it looks like a botany experiment gone awry, that might be indicative of generally poor maintenance on other parts of the bike.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
Good advice, here.

If it's an 02, see if the front wheel has been replaced under the recall.

Yep Drifty, FB mentioned that in his last sentence, and why I don't... but good to point it out, as much like the tranny bearing, I would have forgotten it.

This was my intent for posting... I can't remember everything off the top of my head and as I don't know "FB" from Adam, I didn't want to invest too much time and effort into doing what would be his research.
But after considering what I had down already, I figured that if I posted it, then other knowledgeable folks would add in there own bits and pieces to consider.
Some exceptions to this would be posts that are irrelevant to the intent.

Maybe when this has run it's course, I'll take what has been added and insert it into the first post for a fairly conclusive list of things to check on an LC4.

C
Old 11-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
If it looks like a botany experiment gone awry, that might be indicative of generally poor maintenance on other parts of the bike.
A very good point and suggestion Woodsie. So... mushrooms and moss in the bottom of the airbox would be a good tip-off.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
... posts that are irrelevant to the intent. ...
Is that a reprimand or an invitation?

(bookmark)

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Is that a reprimand or an invitation?

(bookmark)
You tell me pookie poo... what do you think it is?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
A very good point and suggestion Woodsie. So... mushrooms and moss in the bottom of the airbox would be a good tip-off.
But... they might be very tasty (survival supplies).
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
jeez, this should go to sticky land, or the info stick thing. great info, dont forget to tip, sport fans.

Creep, so ya dont like us I-pod users? dont tell me your zune user
Old 11-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
and low IQ......i resemble that remark.......

gotta figure how to save this.....
Old 11-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #14
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
jeez, this should go to sticky land, or the info stick thing. great info, dont forget to tip, sport fans.

Creep, so ya dont like us I-pod users? dont tell me your zune user
Geeezzz... sooo sensitive.

Unless you are a 19'ish, workin' in a bike shop service department, sidewalk commando tattoo'd, nose-pierced, I-pod listening, text messaging instead of talking like a normal human-fuckin' being, low IQ punk... I don't think the reference pertains to you pookie.

Ah... What's a zune?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 AM   #15
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Never buy a used LC4 from anybody who has used it the way it is meant to be used, period !
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote