User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
jamoka3 OP
Veritas Aequitas

Oddometer: 25
Heated hand grips... Do they work...?

I'm looking for a set of heated hand grips for my bike. (Something cheap and easy to install of course!) I just wanted to know how effective they are at speeds of about 50-65mph, and riding temps between 25-40 degrees F. Or are they more for slow back woods riding?
Any suggestions, or input will be great!
jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
KankakeeBenjamin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
I have heated grips which are nice. I also have heated glove liners which I think provide more/better heat. If I had to choose between the two I would go with heated glove liners. My 2cents
Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
The best I have found so far is: heated grips combined with Hippo Hands. I wear summer gloves year round now.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.

TheWorstKind screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 08:48 PM
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Absolutely!

You becha! The backs of your hands may still get cold, but I've used "Hot Grips" on my last 3 bikes (18 years) & wouldn't have a bike without them. The speed is immaterial, they heat up in minutes & keep your palms & fingers warm. I've never felt the need for a heat controller, if the switch is conveniently placed, it's easy to just flip it on/off when they get too hot. The beauty is that they are always on the bike, just a flick of the switch away, unlike the warm winter gloves that are still hanging on a peg back in the garage because it was so warm when you left this morning! As mentioned here, they work even better, in combo with hippo hands.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,340
Every bit helps.

I replaced the grip warmers on my sled with high-output elements, then took the OEM ones off my sled and put 'em on the bike. It's not gonna keep your hands toasty-warm, but it certainly offsets the cold weather and lets you ride longer than without warmers.

Other thing to consider is power requirements - it's all my electrical system can do to support a headlight on low-beam and the grip warmers.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,337
I'll never have another bike without heated grips
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
kdo58
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
polly heaters

i have these they work for snowmobiles and work great on my bike and they are cheap
http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph200.htm
kdo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,810
i use them in the winter even in california. i use them anytime the temps get below 40 otherwise my hands go numb without them.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Yakima
Whee! Wee Strom

Oddometer: 314
Just put on my first pair. Terrific. Now with winter I added a pair of ATV "mitts". The combination is perfect. I use my standard summer weight armored gloves and my pinkies stay toasty warm on the lower of two grip heater settings.
Installation involves a relay, taking off your grips, some thorough cleaning and that's about it. Not at all difficult.
I bought Symtec. Shop around for best price.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I have been using Hotgrips for several years. It makes cold weather riding more enjoyable.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
gixxersteph
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
just finished installing Oxford Heaterz about 30 minutes ago. Fair price on Fleabay - 4 temp settings. We'll see how they work but I've had one form or another on most of my bikes. I prefer grips to gloves 'cause they are always there.
gixxersteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
I have heated grips on the KLR... they are great. I do think I will take them off though and get heated gloves/gear. My main reason is they are bulkier than I like, and they need to be replaced because they are worn out. On top of that my finger tips still get cold when it drops into the 20's.
KustomizingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
I have been using Hotgrips for several years. It makes cold weather riding more enjoyable.
I've installed Hot Grips on about 5 of my bikes, including my current ride. They keep my hands warm into the mid-20 degree F. range wearing leather work gloves and on the low setting. I rarely use the high setting.
The simple high/low switch that comes with the grips is adequate and there are waterproof housings that will thread onto the toggle switch if it's in an exposed location.
The best price was on Amazon but Twisted Throttle can be good also.
This farkle is a no-brainer.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I've used several types, but for me it's a no-brainer. Heated gloves are good, but not as nearly as comfortable as standard gloves, and they often pick up wiring faults over time.
My impression after two sets of Gerbing gloves is that they are built to a price, not the best quality glove on the market.

Heated grips are always on the bike, and I've found no issues with keeping my hands warm in temps well below 30 with decent all-weather gloves.
As another poster mentioned, hippo hands or similar do an excellent job in combination with heated grips.

Finding the right glove also makes a huge difference, as the backs of your hand can get cold while the palms get toasted. A good quality snowmobile glove (not the cheap junk sold most places) has much more insulation on the back of the hand and fingers, and a thinner palm / inner to allow the heat to be transferred more efficiently.
They are also designed to allow warm air to circulate better to keep the entire hand warm.

If you are short of electrons, the 'in-grip' type (grip with embedded elements) like the Hot Grips (the branded product) or Oxfords are far more efficient, as the bar wraps leak substantial heat into the bar. One downside of the Hot Grips I've used in the past is that they are relatively bulky, the Oxfords are much less so, but probably don't insulate as well.

For me, I far prefer having an electronic controller (the Warm n Safe are my favorites) as it is much easier just to set to exactly the temps you want and then focus on the ride. Plus the electronic controllers are much more efficient than a simple 2-setting switch or rheostat type, which usually bleed off the extra electricity into a resistor.

FWIW.
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #15
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
I'm looking for a set of heated hand grips for my bike. (Something cheap and easy to install of course!) I just wanted to know how effective they are at speeds of about 50-65mph, and riding temps between 25-40 degrees F. Or are they more for slow back woods riding?
Any suggestions, or input will be great!
I have both heated grips and heated gloves. I like the heated grips with my summer gloves to take the chill off in cool weather but in serious cold weather nothing can compare to the warmth and comfort of heated gloves. At the temperatures you mention, if you are riding any distance you will need heated gloves and probably a heated jacket liner. With a heated jacket liner heated gloves just plug into the cuffs of the heated liner and no extra wires are needed.

At those temps and speeds you would be much better off with heated gloves if you are traveling any distance. Heated gloves however are 2x to 2.5x the price of heated grips. Heated gloves heat the back of the hand and the fingers, the parts that get really cold. They however need to be plugged in. Grips heat the palm of the hand and in those temps you will also need insulated gloves to travel any distance. Insulated gloves and heated grips work against each other. Gerbings and Warm&Safe are guaranteed for life against wiring faults

outsidein screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 05:36 AM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote