ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
30 day temporary registration - colorado

Does anyone have any experience getting a 30 day temporary registration permit from the Colorado DMV

I have just been refused entry into Mexico as the registration for my Colorado plated bike has expired. To get the registration renewed is potentially impossible (im english/travelling on a POA/title still in previous owners name/he is also english and is in England) and if it is possible will be a very lengthy process (up to a month).

As such the 30 day pemrit may be the quickest and simplest solution but after hours of researching I can only find this page with information:

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/142/...-30-day-permit

This says it is possible but gives no information as to how you actually obtain the document.

Can it be obtained online/over the phone?

Does it have to be done in person and if so does it have to be done by the actual owner or can anyone with the right documentation get it?

Hope you can help
mfbx8ds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,963
30 day permits are for cars. I don't think it is possible to get one for a motorcycle.

This seems confusing, do you or the previous owner have an actual Colorado address? If you bought the bike off of him, where was the bike when you took possession and why didn't you register and insure in in your name before riding off on a bike with an expired plate?

You may be able to do this: https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dm...al/welcome.jsf
but you would have to register in in the name of the guy that you bought it from and you still may have trouble crossing the border since it's not your bike on paper.

Good luck!

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Quote:
Can it be obtained online/over the phone?
No.

Quote:
Does it have to be done in person and if so does it have to be done by the actual owner or can anyone with the right documentation get it?
The buyer (you) or someone you've legally assigned Power of Attorney in the USA to must present the title, bill of sale, insurance, and ID/proof of residence at the Hades known as the DMV office in the Colorado county of your residence.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
You may be able to do this: https://www.colorado.gov/apps/dor/dm...al/welcome.jsf
but you would have to register in in the name of the guy that you bought it from and you still may have trouble crossing the border since it's not your bike on paper.

Good luck!
If you try this, the poor chap who sold you the bike incurs a *ton* of legal liability. Don't go this route without their consent.

You may want to PM Neduro - if there's a legal way to make this happen, he'll know how to get it done.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,622
You can get a temp tag for a motorcycle but they are very picky and you need a pretty good reason (seller didn't sign a bill of sale, etc) for them to give you one, at least in Douglas County. I highly doubt they'll give you a temp tag because your tags expired and are on a trip.

They definitely won't do it over the phone. Is there any way to get it registered and plated back home and have home mail you a plate and tags?

Also in the state of Colorado you need to contact the county DMV of the person you bought it from since unlike many other states vehicle registration is handled set and collected by each county for the residents in that county.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

OK - i should probably give the full details of my predicament

- I am an Englishman with an English motorbike license
- I bought a KLR650 off another Englishman in Chile last april and have ridden it up to the Guatamala/Mexico border
- He had bought the bike and registered it in Colorado and then ridden it down to Chile - it still has the colorado number plates
- It was impossible to transfer the title papers so we obtained a power of attorney which is what I have used for all my border crossings - the bike is still in his name.
- The tags have expired
- I do not have an american license or know anybody with an american address

I have been doing all my research regarding whether or not i will be abel to get the bike into the States - it never occured to me that I needed up to date registration to get it into Mexico - and to be fair I cannot find a single forum that states registration papers are needed - only the "title document OR the registration papers" are required - and I have never been asked for registration papers before.

yesterday i got refused entry into Mexico - she asked to see the registration papers - i refused - we argued and eventually i showed them - they were out of date and this is why my entry was refused

I am still in very good contact with the previos owner but he is in England.

We cannot renew the registration online as the expiration date is over a month old.

Was looking into getting the 30 day permit but will this not be possible?

If anyone has any solutions im all ears - conmsidering all avenues.

NB - they have a record of when the previous owner entered it so forging documents may be unwise as they will have records and maybe even photocopies of all the documents.

Can somebody else renew the registration and send the documents down to me?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
Quote:
Can somebody else renew the registration and send the documents down to me?
This might work, but not without hassle...

An 'agent' might be able to go to Colorado DMV and renew the Colorado registration on behalf of the owner of record (your buddy in GB).

CO motor vehicle titles and registrations are run by each individual county. It would likely need to be in whatever county the previous owner's address is listed as. You would need to pay all back registration, plus late penalty ($100 max if I recall?), then possibly send the documents down to you in Mexico.

Whomever tried to do it would almost certainly need:
  • Copy of the expired registration
  • Proof of insurance for the vehicle, in owner of records name.
  • Funds to pay DMV
  • Go to the Colorado DMV office in the County that the bike is (was) registered in.
They might also need:
  • Some sort of power of attorney from owner of record authorizing them to renew.
  • Copy of drivers license for owner of record.
By owner of record, I mean the guy who sold you the bike, as it sounds like you never transferred the title or registered the bike in your name.

Colorado DMV telephone is (303) 205-5607 if you want to talk to them about it. I'd leave out the part about it no longer belonging to the guy who has it registered, or I'll guarantee they will do nothing for you!

pfb screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 01:14 PM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
To the OP, a Colorado resident could "buy" your bike but would need all the title to do so signed by the original owner and then send you the plate. You would however be riding around a bike not in your name.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

two points

1) does the bike need to be present to be able to tranfer the title - it sounds rediculous but i could leave the bike guatamala, take a bus to arizona, put the bike into my name, get up to date registration and then come back - rediculous i kow but running out of possibilities.

2) how complicated is to renew the registration by post

"By Mail

• Locate your renewal postcard, or contact your county clerk if you haven't received one yet.
  • Remove the blue address decal on the renewal postcard and affix it to an envelope.
  • Include a check for the amount listed on the renewal postcard. Be sure to write your license number on the check.
  • Include emission test certification, if applicable.
  • If you don't receive new registration stickers within four weeks, call your county clerk."

This is taken off the dmv website - the previous owner used a friends address in colorado - if i can get a "renewal postcard" sent to him (or even better if he already has it" - would it be impossible for him to send off for the new registration.

Thanks for everyones help

My other option is i just chuck it in a van going to the states - crappy end to my trip but never mind.

Duncan
Old 01-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbx8ds6 View Post
two points

1) does the bike need to be present to be able to tranfer the title - it sounds rediculous but i could leave the bike guatamala, take a bus to arizona, put the bike into my name, get up to date registration and then come back - rediculous i kow but running out of possibilities.
If you try registering in AZ, you'll definitely need proof of US residency. Additionally, you'll need to have an out-of-state VIN inspection, meaning the bike needs to be physically present in the state where you register it.

More Arizona-specific details from http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/script...gory=2&Keyword

What do I need to title and register my out-of-state vehicle?

Completed, signed title application (see #6)
Level I vehicle inspection, if out of state title and/or registration is missing (see #18)
Out-of-state title (or registration, if title is held by lienholder)
Out-of-state license plates
Lien clearance, if applicable
Payment of all applicable title and registration fees (see #2).

Quote:
2) how complicated is to renew the registration by post
Renewal by mail by the seller will probably be complicated since there is now a late fee associated with the renewal (more than a month out of date, right?). I doubt the DMV will send the seller another postcard since it's an automated system, but if he still has the one sent for the current year, he can give it a shot. Problem is, the plates will be mailed to the CO address on file. If he's willing to do so, he could try using the online renewal system.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 05:05 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

bus to colorado?

online re-registration is not possible wants the expiration date has passed
Old 01-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbx8ds6 View Post
bus to colorado?

online re-registration is not possible wants the expiration date has passed
That's probably the easiest, but you'll still need proof of your valid CO address (like a utility bill in your name) to get a CO drivers license. I'm pretty sure CO doesn't register vehicles sold to non-residents, but your friend could explain how he used someone else's CO address to get around that.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 06:16 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
You could get the old owner to agree to "renew" his plates if he hasn't sent in any notification he sold it to you. That will take a while to get back though.

I still think you best bet is to "sell" the bike to a colorado buddy, have him do all the paperwork, them be off with the bike to Mexico.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,963
IF, you could get someone to throw the KLR into a truck or van to cross the border I bet that once you are a few miles past the border control you could ride all over Mexico with the expired plate without a problem.

Getting out of Mexico may be a bit more difficult but you could probably do the same thing to get across into the US.
It would also be easier to find an American driving back north, especially if you make it over towards Baja.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 725
Personally I would NOT ride around Mexico with an expired plate and registration. Really good reason to get the cops to pull you over and you will be in a world of hastle. Don't mess around in Mexico. They don't play nice.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote