ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,823
I would go to the border, ask them what's required that you can do to get this bike back to the U.S. via crossing Mexico....if it can't be done, it's a KLR - walk away from it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbx8ds6 View Post
- It was impossible to transfer the title papers so we obtained a power of attorney which is what I have used for all my border crossings - the bike is still in his name.
Why was it impossible to transfer the Colorado title to you? All the seller needs to do is to note the mileage and sign the title. The buyer then writes his name on the title and the bike is legally yours. You do not even need a notary any longer. Why was that impossible?

Once the title is so transferred you can apply for license plates wherever you are a resident. Until you do that, both you and the seller have some legal jeopardy.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,291
Ugly situation.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,904
I'm with Blake, go back to the border. But don't offer any information except that you are passing through back to the US, you may get a different answer. If not, play dumb, ask for help.

When we crossed the border in November, one of our guys brought an unplated CR250 (in a trailer) and rode it the entire time without any hassles including passing the military check points many times. None of us ever had to show registration or even passports to get back into the US.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #20
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I would go to the border, ask them what's required that you can do to get this bike back to the U.S. via crossing Mexico....if it can't be done, it's a KLR - walk away from it.
This is probably a good idea.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
This was a great idea. Have just walked in the baking heat from Guatamala to Mexico having to stop every 5 metres to explain to another official that im not actually entering the country and am only coming to ask.

Eventually managaed to ping some questions off to the aduana concerning my three potential solutions:

1) I am not allowed to truck the bike across Mexico - letalone truck it in and then drive it myself to the States

2) The Aduana officer said he would need to check the 30 day temporary registration document from Arizona but that considering it is viable in the States he could not see any reason why it would not be sufficent for me to cross Mexico with thi - HURRAH

all i need to know now is how easy it is to get this - is it available for bikes from outside of Arizona?

3) A bus to Arizona is $100 - not the end of the world

A fourth optioon was also proposed - that I put the bike into my name in Guatamala (with Guatamalana registration, titles and number plates) - am just about to go and see how much this would cost.

Out and out the 30 day temporary permit fro Arizona would be a massive result.

Duncan
mfbx8ds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
I still think you best bet is to "sell" the bike to a colorado buddy, have him do all the paperwork, them be off with the bike to Mexico.
Hey man

Im a bit confused about this proposal - if i sold the bike to a buddy in colorado then all the paperwork would be in his name. The regisration would be solved but then the title would be the problem surely.

Also I dont actually know anyone in Colorado - would anyone relaistically be willing to go to this much hassle to help a stranger?

I am genuinely interested in this option - just trying to get my head around it

Duncan
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Why was it impossible to transfer the Colorado title to you? All the seller needs to do is to note the mileage and sign the title. The buyer then writes his name on the title and the bike is legally yours. You do not even need a notary any longer. Why was that impossible?

Once the title is so transferred you can apply for license plates wherever you are a resident. Until you do that, both you and the seller have some legal jeopardy.
This is sufficient to proive property in the states but in South America where nobody speaks English - trying to prove the bike is mine just because I have signed the back of the title (which is completely in English) probably would not have been sufficient.

Then, is it possible for an Englishman to register a Colorado plated bike whilst he is in Chile?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #24
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Sounds like this may be your best option. I wonder if they would let you hang on to the Colorado title after switching it, that would allow you to re-register the bike once you got into the US easier if you wanted to.

A fourth optioon was also proposed - that I put the bike into my name in Guatamala (with Guatamalana registration, titles and number plates) - am just about to go and see how much this would cost.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,525
Arizona will still require an AZ VIN inspection since it is an out-of-state (CO titled) bike. They're not going to give you temporary *anything* until you have a title in your name.

Guatemala requires proof of vehicle ownership and a Guatemalan residence, and you'll be charged a 10% import tax and a 12% value added tax on the value of the KLR, which should be somewhere around two kittens and a jar of acorns.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:12 PM
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,525
At this point, you're probably better off taking the damn thing apart and shipping it in a few boxes back to the states marked "parts"...

Guatemala City UPS
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,047
ok, time to think like a local. How do folks get stolen bikes titled so they can ride it around? Figure that out and you are golden. Sounds like the plan to register it locally is a good one. You can travel in America on Mexican plates any probably many others FYI.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

mfbx8ds6,

Where did you go? It's winter so I hope that you post up and let us know if you figured out a a way to continue your adventure.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #29
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
mfbx8ds6,

Where did you go? It's winter so I hope that you post up and let us know if you figured out a a way to continue your adventure.
Tim, he's over in the West Forum trying to get info on an AZ temp permit.

Dave
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #30
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Thanks Dave.
What are you doing over there?

I hope that works. I was hoping that he was too busy riding off into the sunset to post.