ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
Thanks Dave.
What are you doing over there?
We have a townhome south of Tucson as our winter getaway. It appears we brought the Colorado cold with us as the daily highs for the next 4 days haven't been this cold since '71
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
I hope that works. I was hoping that he was too busy riding off into the sunset to post.
i wish this was the case - it is looking less and less likely i will be able to get the arizona temporary visa but as such my two best options are that i find a way to renew the registration online or that i take a bus to colorado - renew the paperwork and then take a bus back - yes this sounds rediculous but would only take a week and cost about 300 dollars

thanks for the support - and dont worry the adventure is far from over
mfbx8ds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

VERY VERY EXCITING NEWS

I have just got off the phone with the Arizona title and registration office. I told them my story and they guarantee that if I come to Arizona with all my paperwork they will grant me a 30 day temporary registration. All i need to do know is get a 100% guarantee from the Mexican Aduana that I will be allowed to enter with this document.

I have also found a guy returning a jeep from southern Mexico to the states who may be able to give me a cheep lift.

One quick query though.

Do we think it would be better to go to colorado with all my paperwork - put the bike in my name and then cross with new registration and title - this would cost alot more money but with official registration would be guaranteed entry into mexico.

Can i even get a title for the bike in Colorado if the bike is not present?

Duncan
Old 01-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #34
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =o&o> View Post
If you have a Colorado title, current 'proof of insurance' in your name, and can give them a Colorado address (maybe even the one the previous owner used?), you should be able to walk out of DMV with title, registration, and license plates in your name (while the KLR is in Guatamala).

What is the zip code in the address used by the previous owner? Let us know your schedule, and someone here might even be able to run you around when you get here.

Alternative suggestion: If you scanned and emailed a copy of the Colorado registration (in the prior owners name) to someone here, they might be able to walk into a motor vehicle office and get a license plate renewal in the prior owner's name and 'overnight' it to you? There would have to be a current 'proof of insurance' in the prior owner's name for this to work. I could check into this for you... PM me...
Hey man

Ive just sent you a PM

The zip code on the address is CO 80135

Your suggestion that somebody may be able to renew the registration for me would out and out be my best solution - if anyone has any thoughts on this proposal would be great to hear them.

If this is not possible then I will be coming to the states sometime next week - the Arizona tmeporary permit is obviously more attractive as its easier to get to - but if this is not an option i will be coming to Colorado and may be taking you up on the offer of lifts.

Is it illegal to hitch-hike in Colorado?

Duncan
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #35
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbx8ds6 View Post
Your suggestion that somebody may be able to renew the registration for me would out and out be my best solution - if anyone has any thoughts on this proposal would be great to hear them.
CO requires Power of Attorney for someone other than the title holder to renew the registration.

scroll down to form 2175
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

[QUOTE=AnnieGS;20465755]CO requires Power of Attorney for someone other than the title holder to renew the registration.

If i got a power of attorney written up here in Guatamala and posted it to a third party in Colorado happy to do the leg work would this be valid?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #37
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Quote:
If i got a power of attorney written up here in Guatamala and posted it to a third party in Colorado happy to do the leg work would this be valid?
The guy back in England is the only person who can renew unless he assigns POA to someone in the states. You are not the owner so you can only register the bike, not renew. BUt POA works for that, too.

Owner on title (guy in England) assigns POA, then POA holder can renew in owner's name. But this doesn't do you much good since Mexico wants you to be on a bike that you legally hold title to.

You, buyer, no name on current title. Assign POA, POA holder can register for you if you provide them all the necessary documents (title signed by seller and buyer, proof of CO address, proof of insurance).

The big problem you face in using the POA form is finding a USA-registered Notary in Guatemala to witness and sign the POA form. If you can get to the US Consulate office, they might be able perform this duty for you...I don't know if your non-US citizenship will be an issue.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 12:13 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #38
mfbx8ds6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by =o&o> View Post
Let us know your schedule, and someone here might even be able to run you around when you get here.
Incidentally anyone who is happy to help will get to hear the thrilling story behind how i ended up with this "home made pannier" down in Patagonia - and yes that is the back of a toilet

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...psc094a1c8.jpg
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,767
This just gets more interesting.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #40
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

$1,750 of clapped-out heartache.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Incidentally anyone who is happy to help will get to hear the thrilling story behind how i ended up with this "home made pannier" down in Patagonia - and yes that is the back of a toilet
Quote:
Kawasaki KLR, 650, 2001.
Asking Price: $2000
This thread just isn't complete without a picture of the OP's $2,000-for-sale, expired registration, never re-titled when purchased and toilet tank equipped KLR...

pfb screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 09:38 AM
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
This thread just isn't complete a picture of the OP's $2,000-for-sale, expired registration, never re-titled when purchased and toilet tank equipped KLR...

Now that's a walk-away if I ever saw one . With the problems he's facing, I wouldn't spend more than a day trying to figure it out. Catch a bus.

Dave
Old 01-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,972
That looks worse than mine when I sold it. I only got $1200.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #44
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,869
I'm a little confused!!! Having lived in 3rd world countries I know for a fact money speaks...ummm say a few hundred in the right hands and away you go with Guatemala Title, and tags...LOL I would maybe ask a local attorney they will know the right hands to grease. Might cost you a few bucks...but if your dead set in riding up through Mexico it might be worth it.

Another option, just end your trip and maybe spend a week or two down there selling it to some local that again can grease the right palms to make things right or not worry about it and ride it the way it is.

Worst case you walk away from a bike maybe worth $900...probably less even due tot he headaches it would have to title, register and plate. Not the end of the world by any means.

Oh and thank you for Adventuring around...so few actually do.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #45
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805058