Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
guzziknight OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Trailering question...

Hi All,

I'm going to need to trailer both of our scooters soon. In a couple of weeks for a short ride to our new house, then in September for vacation.

Here's my problem: I've tied down my motorcycle plenty of times with no issue, but I can't figure out where to tie the scooters down. With all the body work, I don't want to damage them. The handlebars are shrouded in plastic, so that's out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yaniv
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
You don't say what type of scooter you want to trailer. We use Canyon Dancers on the handle bars. Some people use Jetting bar ends http://shop.jettin.com/Blue-Aluminum...uminumblue.htm with grooves for tiedowns. I suspect there are other brands as well. For the rear I use either the grab bar appropriately protected to strap down on most of our scoots.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
Hi All,

I'm going to need to trailer both of our scooters soon. In a couple of weeks for a short ride to our new house, then in September for vacation.

Here's my problem: I've tied down my motorcycle plenty of times with no issue, but I can't figure out where to tie the scooters down. With all the body work, I don't want to damage them. The handlebars are shrouded in plastic, so that's out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yaniv
I use a Canyon Dancer Bar harness on the handlebars and soft ties on the passenger grab rails and then four tiedowns.

Here's a pic of the bar harness:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
guzziknight OP
Adventurer

My bad. A Buddy Blackjack and a Scarabeo 200.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I removed all the front plastics and put them in the trunk. Then I was able to easy strap down my Cub clone on the trailer.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #6
Dualsport4ever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I use a Canyon Dancer Bar harness on the handlebars and soft ties on the passenger grab rails and then four tiedowns.

Here's a pic of the bar harness:

+1 on the Canyon Dancer. Outstanding product. Soft ties in the back work nicely.
Dualsport4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Canyon dancer hit the switches on my Reflex. I hooked a tie down over each grip and a tie down between those.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I use a tie-down strap I got from ebay years ago. It works fine on my scooters and solves the problem. Search ebay with "motorcycle handlebar tie-down".
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
guzziknight OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll go with the Canyon Dancers. I think they're adjustable, right? The Scarabeo will require the XL, since the bars are about 36" apart. I want to be able to use them if we upsize the bikes at some point. Is there any issue with buying them big right now?
Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Dan V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I have a couple of pairs of tie downs that have loops on the strap that I put on the hand grips, then snug the scoot down by sitting on the seat and compressing the forks. If I am going for any length of time I will take another loop, bring it thru the loops on the grips and back on itself, keeping the tie downs from pulling the grips off. If that contacts the bodywork, I tape a microfiber cloth on the strap where the contact is. Essentially does the same thing a canyon dancer does. I think that is what Mark is saying above.

If your tie down straps don't have loops, you can always use soft ties on the grips. One tip - I will strap the front wheel to the chock/rail to ensure there is no back and forth movement of the scoot. That keeps things from loosening up.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Get a pair of Canyon Dancers and be done with it. The problem with using the soft loops on the grips is that they not only distort the grip, but can break the plastic throttle tube - ask me how I know!
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Don't over compress your scoot's suspension. That way lies no only messing up the suspension but bending your handlebars and other "damage" attributed to canyon dancers or other handle bar harnesses. Your scoot should be using its own shocks and suspension to absorb bumps. You only need it tight enough that it there is equal support on both sides so it doesn't fall over when you turn or hit rough roads. Securing the front wheel in a properly fitted and secured chock means you don't have to worry about cranking down anything, just secure the rear against sideways slipping using rails or screwed down 2x2 along side the tires and balanced straps.
Buddy 125
Ride reports: My Blog
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Don't over compress your scoot's suspension. That way lies no only messing up the suspension but bending your handlebars and other "damage" attributed to canyon dancers or other handle bar harnesses. Your scoot should be using its own shocks and suspension to absorb bumps. You only need it tight enough that it there is equal support on both sides so it doesn't fall over when you turn or hit rough roads. Securing the front wheel in a properly fitted and secured chock means you don't have to worry about cranking down anything, just secure the rear against sideways slipping using rails or screwed down 2x2 along side the tires and balanced straps.
+1 on being careful about over-compressing....these arent MX bikes. And securing the rear properly takes much of the stress off of the forward straps.

And by all means never transport on its center or side-stand.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
Front only

I was taught to tie the front end only.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,656
I disagree about tying the front only. If you get hit or the trailer gets hit, what's going to keep the rear of the scooter from moving significantly ? That's where the weight is and you don't want that getting loose.