Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #376
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Honda does not want to be stuck with a bunch of unsold bikes and the Grom is in an untested new market segment so they are probably being conservative with the numbers they bring over. I think they may be surprised with the demand for this bike. If that's the case, they can increase the supply the next year but someone else may come out with some competition in the meantime. I'd like to see some more choices in small, simple, fun and inexpensive bikes.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #377
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
maybe except they had about 45 deposits within day of announcing it and over on HondaGrom.net they currently have a list of over 100 folks who have put money down on a bike that wont be here until August. I am sure nation wide there are many more who have put deposits down. My local dealer is small and he has six, the closest Power dealer has 13 deposits.

If Honda doesnt see the buzz this bike is creating by now they are really missing the boat.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #378
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,633
" I'd like to see some more choices in small, simple, fun and inexpensive bikes"

Yeah, me too. From Honda I would like to see the Cross Cub (both street and off road version) and some kind of traditional scooter with a manual transmission in the 125-150cc range. All of those bikes would be great everywhere but on freeways, including long steep hills
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #379
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
but someone else may come out with some competition in the meantime. I'd like to see some more choices in small, simple, fun and inexpensive bikes.
Kawasaki KSR would be super easy to bring in.

Honda's own APE 100 (Tho I would rather have disc brakes from the Grom)

Though not a direct competitor Suzuki Van Van 125

Yamaha doesn't have anything that I know of currently but we could always hope for a return of the YSR. Maybe in 125-150 trim
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #380
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
Another that I found that isn't a Grom but made me wonder which one of you FF's did this??

Ok...Back to on topic
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #381
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 172
i think the KSR is why honda made the grom, they are both about the same size, horizontal motors, 12" wheels and similar styling

now that i think of it isn't the KSR the most common grey market bike in America? i know of one importer that's entire business is shipping KSRs all over. every now and then you see a used one for sale

slightly off topic(i may make new thread)
i wonder if i could import a yamaha t110 from mexico, they're $1200 MSRP so after paying all the taxes and such to bring it in the US it should be around $2000, or this supercub http://translate.googleusercontent.c...1gF5HxTtScz2uA
i can't find a price on the honda though

minimotos95 screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 12:54 PM
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #382
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
" I'd like to see some more choices in small, simple, fun and inexpensive bikes"

Yeah, me too. From Honda I would like to see the Cross Cub (both street and off road version) and some kind of traditional scooter with a manual transmission in the 125-150cc range. All of those bikes would be great everywhere but on freeways, including long steep hills
Maybe we can return to the "good old days" when small bikes where in.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #383
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

It would be amazing if Honda brought the Cross Cub over. I'd have my money down in a heartbeat!

I think it's still a possibility with them giving us the Grom, maybe not anytime real soon but the Grom has been out in other countries for a little while under MX125 correct? Maybe test the market with the XCub the same way then offer it up.

I can only dream. :)
Indy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #384
Dezzie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Honda made the grom/msx due to Chinese copies flooding the market and making clones in poor quality of there original designs, even so there popularity is massive in Europe which has added fuel to the fire, hence they have produced a new bike with 4 patents to make copying harder but this wont stop china etc making crappy versions!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #385
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie View Post
Honda made the grom/msx due to Chinese copies flooding the market and making clones in poor quality of there original designs, even so there popularity is massive in Europe which has added fuel to the fire, hence they have produced a new bike with 4 patents to make copying harder but this wont stop china etc making crappy versions!
clones of what? the ZB50, that's a bit smaller? or the classic hondas like the 14" ST and CT70's? honda can put some of that blame on themselves for discontinuing those models. they still make honda money when someone buys a gasket kit or other genuine honda parts. i'm sure the all new motor is to avoid clones why else would they make such major changes to a proven design.

i'm curious does the MSX use the same motor mount layout as the crf50 and china bikes? i imagine some people will want to swap in a daytona DOHC motor

i can't wait to make an impulse buy on the first crashed grom i find while i have spare cash. by by carburetor, hello 120 wide 12"s and EFI.

i still haven't found a picture of one with dual sport tires but i can imagine it looks good... here's one with barkbusters i found on google images

minimotos95 screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 10:02 PM
Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #386
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,633
Honda still makes the Trail 110 for the Japanese market, just the way it has always been. Dual range transmission, extra gas canteen, you can't tell it from the '70s models sold here. But I see absolutely zero chance of that bike every coming here. Today's younger riders would consider it boring. It was intended for off road use (though still street legal) and came with off road tires. The Cross Cub comes in 2 different models, one street model, and one trail model. I would love to get my hands on a trail model. They are not dual sport bikes, you have to take it slow and easy. But they will haul a weeks worth of gear back into just about anywhere, and climb just about anything, and they are low enough that you can put your feet on the ground.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #387
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Here is a few Chinese clone bikes:

http://www.motobuys.com/monkey-ib-championdax-l.html

http://www.motobuys.com/st125-p-skyt.html

And check out this one:

http://www.motobuys.com/st125-trv90.html
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #388
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
clones of what? the ZB50, that's a bit smaller? or the classic hondas like the 14" ST and CT70's? honda can put some of that blame on themselves for discontinuing those models. they still make honda money when someone buys a gasket kit or other genuine honda parts. i'm sure the all new motor is to avoid clones why else would they make such major changes to a proven design.

i'm curious does the MSX use the same motor mount layout as the crf50 and china bikes? i imagine some people will want to swap in a daytona DOHC motor

i can't wait to make an impulse buy on the first crashed grom i find while i have spare cash. by by carburetor, hello 120 wide 12"s and EFI.

i still haven't found a picture of one with dual sport tires but i can imagine it looks good... here's one with barkbusters i found on google images
Groms come with 120 front and 130 rear and EFI.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #389
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

is there a trail 110 clone on the market? i'm off to google that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
first two are pretty run of the mill clones, i don't see how they would prompt honda to make a new bike one full size class bigger?
that rv90 clone is pretty cool, it has honda clone motor to replace the 2 stroke you can't find parts for. the price is up there compared to a real rv90

i'm just saying how would the clones of smaller bikes make honda, make the bike the size of a KSR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
Groms come with 120 front and 130 rear and EFI.
i know this but i like to run identical tires front and back(am i the only one?). 120s are in stock at almost every shop. putting a 130 on the front may slow the turn in or rub the fender? if you run identical tires on both you only have to keep one spare on hand... though those vee rubbers(right?) might be worth wearing out before swapping.
i wasn't intending to misinform that it came with 120/70-12 front and back

does anybody know how many watts the stator is putting out?

i've been reading that the rear suspension is in the stiff side, but it looks like there's already aftermarket shocks available so that shouldn't be to hard to fix.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #390
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimotos95 View Post
i know this but i like to run identical tires front and back(am i the only one?).if you run identical tires on both you only have to keep one spare on hand... though those vee rubbers(right?) might be worth wearing out before swapping.
Never thought of that. I keep spare tubes for my dirt bikes but not my street bikes and I have no spare tires on had, never have.

Guys in the UK are reporting that the stock tires are crap in the wet or even if the ground is damp.