Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #826
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
When I went to see the Grom, I was on my DRZ.

It later occurred to me that the ride I took that day would have been fine on the Grom. I didn't ride any of the gnarly rocky woods trails. I hardly do that any more anyway, thought that is what I have the DRZ for.

I did about 25 miles, 80% paved, the rest easy maintained dirt roads. Mostly under 45 MPH even on the pavement. There were a couple of miles where I did 55. I usually don't go faster than that as my DRZ is geared down so much lower than stock, for the rocky woods that I hardly ride in any more.

Right at the end there was less than a mile on a multi-lane road where I did 60+ but really didn't have to. I was going to make a left at the next light to turn into our development and wanted to stay in the left lane where I already was, so I goosed it to keep ahead of traffic. I could have slowed down in the right lane and let traffic pass, and then shifted to the left as I approached the intersection.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #827
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,941
Perhaps when I see it up close I will understand. For now, seeing pics of it and grown men towering over it, I don't get it.

To those of you who get one, hope you have a blast on it!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #828
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 748
$3k yes, $4k no.

I went to a nearby-ish dealer on Tuesday (~70 miles away, I can see a Honda dealer from my backyard, but they did not have any Grom's yet) after a friend let me know they had a Grom in stock.

Here's a few crappy cell phone pics of my 6'5", 230lb self on it:

I already knew I wanted one so I didn't look at it very long before asking the store manager for their no B.S. out the door price... $4350.50

I was expecting closer to $3500 OTD, I want one (or two) in a bad way, but there is no friggin way I'm willing to pay that much for it. I brought home another little Honda today instead, DMC XR100 (120cc big bore xr100 engine in a CR85 chassis)

The Letter J screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 11:16 PM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #829
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post

I already knew I wanted one so I didn't look at it very long before asking the store manager for their no B.S. out the door price... $4350.50
6'5" !!! ...and sitting there on the bike you look like you could have a lot of FUN on the Grom.

I would have paid the $4350.50 no problem as long as I got to buy it from David Letterman and hang out with him all day.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #830
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav101 View Post
6'5" !!! ...and sitting there on the bike you look like you could have a lot of FUN on the Grom.

I would have paid the $4350.50 no problem as long as I got to buy it from David Letterman and hang out with him all day.
I'm glad I wasn't alone on the David Letterman doppelganger!

I'm not in a huge hurry to buy one as I've got 5 bikes (3 of them minis) so I'll just keep poking around at different dealers if I'm in their area and see what their OTD prices are. If a more reasonable price presents itself, I'll probably jump.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #831
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
....I was expecting closer to $3500 OTD, I want one (or two) in a bad way, but there is no friggin way I'm willing to pay that much for it
My interest in one is price-sensitive. I would not want to pay too much in additional fees to get one. Right now they are "hot". The one at my local dealer was pre-sold before it even arrived.

My local dealer has gotten shy on stocking bikes after getting caught with a lot of unsold prior year's inventory when the Great Recession hit. The sales floor isn't as full of Hondas as it used to be, and I think they are particularly wary of new models that may or may not sell well. When gas prices spiked they stocked up on scooters (not a new model but something they ordinarily didn't sell much) and then had a lot left over as gas prices dropped or at least leveled off.

They only ordered one Grom.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #832
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
I went to a nearby-ish dealer on Tuesday (~70 miles away, I can see a Honda dealer from my backyard, but they did not have any Grom's yet) after a friend let me know they had a Grom in stock.

I was expecting closer to $3500 OTD, I want one (or two) in a bad way, but there is no friggin way I'm willing to pay that much for it. I brought home another little Honda today instead, DMC XR100 (120cc big bore xr100 engine in a CR85 chassis)
$4350..
I am due to pick up a '14 300 ninja in the next few weeks as a parts model. When I talked with my guy there yesterday he was all abuzz about this thing. They are only allowed 4 but claims this will be a big deal. Said I should consider this as well as the 300 for parts..
But $4000 + I don't usually play in this type of market so I am doing my research now but that seems like a lot of cabbage for 125cc
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #833
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Wicked YSS shock install.

You need to get the back end up. I accomplished this with the cheap Harbor Freight paddock stand with the pads on it. That worked well.

Remove the right shroud. It doesn't say in the manual, but you also need to remove the left shroud for easy access to the upper shock bolt head.

Remove drive chain cover, rear brake reservoir from the frame, regulator/rectifier and stay from the frame.

Of course the tail will settle when you get the bolts out. A second pair of hands would have been helpful here, and during the installation of the YSS shock.

Install in reverse order. It was a bit of a pain for me to shoulder the tail up while trying to install the shock and feed the bolts in without seeing. But I succeeded. I also wound up having to remove the Tyga can to facilitate getting the shock in. I don't know if you will need to do that with the OEM can.

I will test fly it tomorrow. I installed it with the factory settings. Just seeing the spring, I anticipate a stiffer ride. It was a bit soft for me and my weight with the OEM shock. I don't know anything about setting these things up, so I will probably take it to a friend who does know. Torque values for the upper and lower shock bolts are 34 ft/lbs.

Pics of the install.

Look Ma, no shock!

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #834
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,328
Looks good , thining about getting 1 of these for me , I meen my 5 yr old son

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #835
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
Grom racing class:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...1&e=231b0ef1fe

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #836
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,647
$4350 is an absurd price for something like this. It's a little kids toy. Now if it were a youth sized competitive MX bike that would be different. I can get a brand new TU250 or DR200 OTD for that kind of money. What could they possibly come up with to add $1350 to the MSRP? Hopefully many that think they really want one will change their mind when they see the actual price. There are Kymco and SYM scooters of twice that displacement for the same price, OTD. I guess I've had enough fun laughing at this thing. I'll leave this thread too.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #837
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
http://www.rodspowersports.com/
Lincoln, Ne...$3224. Further reading contradicts the advertised price with an asterisk*. DMV fees, sales tax, and Insurance on top of that. Price of fun I guess.

Warney screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 11:56 AM
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #838
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I guess I've had enough fun laughing at this thing. I'll leave this thread too.
Excellent idea.

To each his/her own. I think it's a super cool little bike, and anything is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. Period.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #839
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Excellent idea.

To each his/her own. I think it's a super cool little bike, and anything is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. Period.

You are absolutely right Goodcat....value is very personal. The buzz Honda has creted with this is priceless and judging from past history with the Mini Trails of the '70's price isnt a huge impediment to sales when the product has the right mojo.

Jerryh criticizes the price of everything....he doesnt get it. There is a market for these toys. They arent appliances to everyone.

Yes, its a very cool little bike. Wait till the other Asian mfrs tool up, it'll make for a whole new category of PTW.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #840
SuprGeek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
$2849 out the door in Corinth, MS I live north of Atlanta, was totally worth the drive. To be fair, note that I'm gonna pay sales tax here when I register it Tuesday.

Re: Value, I'd have bought two if they had them. It's comfortable, sporty, just powerful enough, and ridiculously well made. Spouse asked why I needed it... I laughed. There's nothing about this thing that anybody needs.

Did I mention that it's stupid grin inducing?
SuprGeek is offline   Reply With Quote