Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #151
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Without any sleep we loaded up and were on the road by 7:30. Today we head for Rio Dulce. Looking for a border town to stay in before reaching Honduras there proved to be few options.

Rio Dulce was supposed to be an easy ride after studying google maps but the bold yellow roads were most definitely not paved. Up and down the mountains passing little Mayan villages on terrible roads we traveled.

Really fantastic scenery and after dropping 10psi out of each tire my ride was much more comfortable.

During a break Al spotted these and told me they were used to make chocolate. I completely disagreed but really didn't know. I though the chocolate bean pods grew from a trunk and were more white in color. Really don't know.

Know idea what it is. Just happy I didn't get bit or stung while retrieving it.

Small town of Cahbon that we got lost in:

She is still holding up:

Lago Izabel:

There are small sections (10-20 ft) of packed clay that will have a tiny stream over it that is slicker than KY. Around a corner I encountered one such pass and the front tire slid right out from under me at about 25 mph; hit the ground hard and slid a bit right in front of a traditionally dressed Mayan woman and her child. They just stopped and stared in awe. Wanting to take a photo but I felt rude so just picked up the bike (with much struggle) and checked for damage. Minor bend to the HDB guards and the Wolfman luggage was scratched but not torn so saddle back up.

Finally dropped down on to “Highway” 7E that runs along the north edge of Lake Izabel only to find that it is gravel. At least it was a rather straight road and I could manage 55mph on the gravel for the majority.

Some guys working a lot harder than myself on highway 7E:

Almost hit this fat bastard:

Road straight to the Backpackers Hostel because Alex is quite excited about it. I read my share of bad reviews but it is located right on the water and he wants to fish. He watches the bike and I check the rooms/rates. The rate is good ($15) for a private room for the both of us. The room is not so good. About the size of a king size bed with two singles in it. Planked walls and floor I feel like I’m in the little house on the prairie. Sheets do look fairly clean so I suck it up and pay the woman. You better f*cking catch something Alex.

With overpriced food and drinks I ate/drank and watch Alex not get a bite.

Then the owner clued us in on “Movie Night” at the Yacht club just down the street. For $6 we had chicken Florentine with steamed veggies and mashed potatoes with country gravy….and a free cocktail to boot. Sat and watched a portion of some movie (The Beasts of Southerland…I believe) while we dined with the power dropping out 2 or 3 times.

Also found some mammoth toads just behind the yacht club (poor photos but the size of two fists).

Back in the room we plugged in a fan and tried to sleep. Just a sweaty mess on a mattress that was like a supersaturated sponge not wicking up a drop. It was wicked hot and every time the power would drop out my eyes would fly open desperately hoping the jerk off f*ck’in with the transformer has something more than a high school diploma. The dogs also seemed to be fighting in this pleasant little river town as well. No sleep for two nights in a row. Having the best time of my life!

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #152
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Not able to sleep I was drinking terrible coffee by 7 in the morn. I will say that the Backpackers can make exceptionally good hashbrowns….and that is all.

Two hours later we hit the border. The only reason I stopped at the Guatemala exit was because someone was waving a stack of money telling me to get my passport stamped. These are the guys that want to exchange your money at a poor rate on the border. Stopped and quickly got a stamp and exchanged the few dollars I had left. Then was told that we passed the customs 4 miles back. Raced back and checked our bikes out of the country.

My last photo of Guatemala:

All along the road they were “mowing” the side of the highway. Machetes, tough wrists, and backs. My last photo of Guatemala was a good old cattle herding up the border highway.

The Honduras immigration and customs offices were barren. Literally nobody but us. Probably 45 minutes to get our passports stamped and bikes imported ($35/each for bikes, $3/passport).

We debated taking an off-road route in Honduras that goes through the mountains and ultimately allows us to avoid the murder capital of the world (San Pedro Sula, Honduras). Both options seeming dismal we took some advice and headed for the city.

I grabbed a map and handed it to Al. He opens it and says, "these idiots printed it sideways". Are you kidding me Alex? Rotate it! He thought Honduras was tall and narrow....not wide/fat. this is what I'm working with here people.

Before we got there we had to try to the Ceviche on the carribean side. Nice Yacht club on the side of the road (absolutely empty) served us shrimp ceviche but nothing that compared to La Ticla, Mexico.

The road entering Honduras was really quite nice with many rivers and different bridge designs (somehow only got one photo).

With weapons at the ready and intercoms "On" we entered San Pedro Sula. And exited 20 minutes later. Nothing like the Mex/Guat highway/city relationship. This was actually a highway with very few traffic lights that really allows you to breeze right through without entering the city center. I'm glad that Honduras was able to figure this out.

Drivers are still crazy and potholes are more prevalent but overall I was quite happy with it. Sixty more miles of pavement and we pulled off at Lake Yoaja for the D&D Brewery.

We were turned onto this place by Marnix and Lisan and figured it couldn’t be too bad of a stop in the middle of Honduras. Found it quite easily with GPS coordinates and rolled into a tiny parking lot. Al waits with the bikes and I walk down to a small swimming pool with a kayak in it, a donkey on the side, a tuk tuk, and various other accessories and people around the pool. I knew we found the right place! I find the owner and he says, “just hold on a few we’re shooting music video….you wanna be in it.” Sure why not. After some missed takes we got a very nice cabin for the same price as the shit hole last night.
After we washed up we got to see the final take of the video (can’t remember the song). I chose to stand back and do a little taping as well….pretty ridiculous.

Of all of the beers I have had in Oregon this is some of the best stuff around. These guys do nice work however the food is not exceptional. First night in Honduras I would call a great success.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #153
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

During our stay at the brewery we did make it to a coffee plantation which wasn’t very impressive but they had some rickety bridges and neat flowers.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #154
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Woke up, had some amazing coffee at the brewery and planned to stay an additional night. Quickly found out that they were completely booked up for the weekend so we set out to see a waterfall that was quite impressive.

On our return to the Brewery it started pouring rain on us and we were completely soaked. First real rain of the trip (besides my trip to Lake Atitlan). Checked the weather and it called for 2 more days of hard rain. I wasn’t willing to stay here for 3 days and coaxed Alex (against his will) to ride it out all the way to our next border town of Choluteca, Honduras.

By the time we loaded up the rain subsided and we had a nice ride for the first 2/3’s of the trip. The last third was through an extremely hot desert/mountainous terrain.

Just drove all the way through so now we are ready to cross into Nicaragua tomorrow morning. Can’t say I saw anything in Southern Honduras that caught my eye besides about 30 KTM yielding yahoos going the opposite direction just north of Tegucigalpa.
Quickly found the hotel that I researched the previous evening and settled down for a rest and internet duties.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #155
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
...I think my mountain house chili mac was better than anything they were producing...

...insomniac roosters
Good stuff, that ChiliMac!

And what is it about roosters in small villages? They've got a contest to see who starts first, seemed like most of the time they'd get going about 3 am...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #156
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Good stuff, that ChiliMac!

And what is it about roosters in small villages? They've got a contest to see who starts first, seemed like most of the time they'd get going about 3 am...

I dig the chili mac but I think the beef stroganof and chicken and rice are the best. Especially when you're sh*tt'in in the woods

I hope this rooster thing isn't the norm...I need my rest!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #157
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
One of my favorites, so far:

Check the expressions in the crowd--great work!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #158
MRED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I have not heard you mention donkeys braying in the morning.
That sound mixed with dogs and chickens will make you want to go home.
Rev'It! Dealer since 2003
http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm
MRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #159
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Quickly found the hotel that I researched the previous evening and settled down for a rest and internet duties.
I think you're doing an outstanding job keeping us informed. I certainly appreciate your effort. I know it's not easy.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #160
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Good, soft ear plugs at night. Makes sleeping with the donkies, chickens, dogs, and howler monkeys easy.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #161
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRED View Post
I have not heard you mention donkeys braying in the morning.
That sound mixed with dogs and chickens will make you want to go home.
Thanks for the warning! Haven't gotten the braying yet but I did pick up some earplugs. Glad your finding time to check this out Don....there is only so much cheek pain a man can remove from this world

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #162
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
I think you're doing an outstanding job keeping us informed. I certainly appreciate your effort. I know it's not easy.
I really appreciate the comment. It's nice to know that someone is watching over my shoulder.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #163
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Good, soft ear plugs at night. Makes sleeping with the donkies, chickens, dogs, and howler monkeys easy.
Just got some. It is surprisingly difficult to find. Everyone sells the fancy plastic ones for swimming....go figure.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #164
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Time for another border crossing!! Roll out of the hotel on an empty stomach with high hopes of a painless border crossing for lunch in Leon, Nicaragua.

First thing you notice (or feel) is the last 20 miles of the CA-1 highway before exiting Honduras. It looks like a meteor shower recently pummeled the highway leaving large craters for unsuspecting motorcyclists. Oncoming traffic is bobbing & weaving all over while you are trying to overcome the big rigs blocking your view of said holes. Many spots have trees hanging over the highway leaving Paul Bunyan’s (if he were to golf) divot marks hidden from view. I just eenie meenie miny mo left or right and gas the throttle pulling up on the bars hoping for the best outcome. Try holding the camera with one hand taking photos AND dodging these things.....

Arriving at the border we got the usual money exchangers and also other folks that speak decent English that want to “help” you locate all the facilities and guide you through the process. I figure I can make an attempt on my own and then come back if I fail. Just about to pass immigration we are flagged down by another one of these guys on a moto. He takes me to the counter and I get my passport stamped out of Honduras. Then we walk to the other building and he gets my bike exported from Honduras with another stamp to the passport. All finished up he went to get Alex….didn’t even ask for any money. And for that I gave him a reasonable tip which he much appreciated.

Alex had been waiting for me watching the bikes swarmed by children bagging for money. Al gave them some change so when we swapped positions they weren’t going anywhere. I don’t do handouts except for very rare occasions and these kids were well fed….no soup for you.

When Al got back to the bikes some women were pushing us to pay $12 for something that said Segura Central America Travel. Safe travel?? What the hell is this! “dude it’s importing your bike to Nicaragua on the Honduran side….I read about this somewhere”. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK. They took our money and after recording info from our DL’s and Title/Reg they gave us a receipt.

Back on the road, across the border, we hit the fumigation zone. The fumigator originally waived us through to a booth just passed his operation. Thinking it was immigration we waited for a while confused as all get out and multiple people telling us to go to different building we had no idea what to do. Then out of nowhere some little kid off the street tells the fumigation guy that we need our bikes sprayed. Politely declined, then more adamant, then the fumigator got a bit testy with me and I gave in. It was obvious this was a line for the truck drivers only and we just stumbled into it on accident. $3 later we departed to immigration just up the road. $12 got my passport stamped relatively easily. We swap positions and I find more kids bagging for money. No comprendo…No comprendo…No comprendo….Silence (on my side). They on the other hand continued on until Al came out with a passport stamp.

Onward….to the next checkpoint where it was explained to us that we still need to go to the customs office and import our bikes. At which time I now understand that I purchased Insurance…..not importation.

I am absolutely burning up inside with my gear on as we head back to the Aduana. Standing in line with 15 truckers I get light headed, heart racing, just about to black out. I drop to a knee and pull off my jacket and breathe while everyone stares. Regaining composure and a cooler internal temp I supply the necessary paperwork (Title/Reg, DL, Passport) and wait for 15 minutes while it is processed. Very lazy individual…didn’t even verify the VIN on the bike. Then I get to go outside, sit in the sun, and listen to the kids ask for money while Al does his thing. Total cost to get out of Honduras and into Nic was $27.

Only 2.5 hours total to exit Honduras and enter Nicaragua but it felt twice that and was by far the worst crossing to date.

The ride to Leon was nothing exciting, just very hot and got to stare at a volcano for the majority of the ride.

Signed up for a nice Hostel (Via Via) that I searched out the night before. $20 for private room/bath. Beers under $1 and great food. I asked the waiter to choose something good/local for me and she brought me a large bowl of fried chicken and French fries. Not exactly a refreshing first meal of the day after sweating a Liter of my fluids but it was damned good Pollo frita con papas.
The heat took a toll on me today so I’m just absorbing some unsalted fluids and resting a bit.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #165
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

D&D Brewery

I almost forgot the clip from D&D Brewery......only in the middle of Honduras!

'01 DRZ 400