Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #181
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
I stayed at Joxis (are the hot gals from spain still there helping the dad) then we moved to the narco drug mansion on the beach and since the just bought it we got a deal. As far as food goes try the lil pescadero or the place behind the main church there. There is a cool waterfall to see on Isle de Ometeppe and i highly recommend to stay at .... Let me get back to you on that.
Of course the hot gals are no longer here. Plenty of hookers though! Ill have to check out this narco mansion.....and the fish joint. Right now I'm stuck on the Iguana bar because the sell Baja California fish tacos...and they are quite comparable to those of Baja.

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #182
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
A a DRZ owner thinking about longer jaunts with it, I am encouraged by the travels of you two. Best of luck, and keep the posts coming--great stuff!
I say go for it! This bike is very much capable of long walks with heavy abuse mixed in. Thanks for the well wishes

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #183
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Dropped off laundry and headed in the southerly direction for more off road, secluded beaches, and a oil change. I accomplished all three. Then laundry, internet research for where I’m going tomorrow, then rum & coke.

Did meet up with my uncle in law who I have never met. Been living down here for the past 15 years. I think he has his shit figured…..less work more sun…more fishing….more golfing…

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #184
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Off to Ometepe island. The island is located in Lake Nicaragua and consists of two volcanoes (one of which is quite active; Volcan Conception). No problem getting to the port in San Jorge. Pay a gringo tax to get through the gates ($0.40), then pay a port tax for the motorcycles ($0.50), then pull up next to the ferry. Alex goes for it and just rolls the bike onto the ferry. I prefer to wait, figure out what needs to be paid, etc…. so that they can’t just charge whatever the hell they want at the otherside (already met a guy that this happened to). So I’m waiting and watching Al when this guy comes up to me dressed relatively nice and says it’s $10 do get the bike on. With no official paperwork handy I just said no I already paid and start rolling the bike onto the ferry. Of course he wants to show me where to put the bike and follows along behind it while I hope he doesn’t steal anything. I park the bike and he starts asking for the $10. I pretend like I don’t know what he is saying….as he is badgering me one of the boat crewman walks buy, hears him talking, looks at me in a serious sort of way and rapid fires some Spanish at me. Then the original guy looks at him and says something to the effect that he has it handled and don’t worry about it. Crewman walks away while this idiot continues on. After some silent treatment he moves on to Al…..”don’t give him anything dude, this guy is full of shit.”

Eventually he walks away. During the crossing the official guys came out and had us pay for actual tickets for the bike and person ($3/bike, $2/person). Later on during the ferry crossing I spoke to a Canadian couple that were driving down here and that guy conned them out of $20. These are by far the most shameless people I have met on the trip. It just disgusted me when one of the crew was actually going to help swindle me out of money for this jackass.

We finally dock on the island (San Jose del Sur) and the unloading process was actually painless and fairly quick. We head north to drive around Mount Conception.

Nicely shaped volcano with large lava flows that are still smoking along the side of it. The nice road made of pavers ended shortly after passing through Moyogalpa and turned to a hideous rock strewn road that was full of horses, pigs, and cattle.

10 miles later the road morphed back into smooth pavers and a mile after that I felt the rear end getting rather sloppy. First flat tire in just over 5,000 miles of traveling!

I roll into a tienda that has a ceiling over a dirt car park area and ask the later if I can work on my tire. She says no and tells me to go to the mechanic up the road. I explained I would like to do this myself and may I please do it here. NO! Well I guess I won’t be shopping here for my stay on Ometepe.

I push the bike 50 meters down the road so that I have some shade under a palm tree and get to work. Quickly find the problem and get the tube out of the tire. The heat has me rather impatient so I opt for a new tube and I’ll patch this one up later.

A kid on his way home from school stopped to chat and watch. I think his biggest interest was my motorcycle gloves. He wanted them to play goalie on the soccer field. Sorry bud these things are like gold down here.

An hour later we’re rolling down the pavers and locate Lil Morgan’s Hostel….looks like a real dump and very heavy on the flies so we head back to some hotels that we saw. A little negotiating gets us 50% off but it is still rather expensive for us ($40).

We unload the gear and setoff to the Ojo de Agua. We had heard that these are “really neat” blue pools full of minerals and perfect for swimming. Not so. The pools had a bluish tint but it was walled in with concrete. This was not a natural wonder but a shoddily built in-ground.

Due to bumping into a crowd in SJdS that received a parasite from the seafood on the island I went with spaghetti and Al had the Lasagna. Not too bad.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #185
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Jumped out of bed today and headed out to ride around the south volcano. Again, a tremendously rough road that tried its hardest to bend my front rim on a few occasions. Arrived in San Ramon and pulled up to the gates that led to the waterfall. The guy wants to charge for us plus another charge for the bikes. A little tired of the shameless “rip off the gringo shit” so I tell him what he should do for the rest of the day. I’m here for the ride anyway so I’ll just keep on roll‘in. The rest of the road never let up.

During one stretch of road next to the beach a group of wild horses were hauling ass down the sand. I raced in front, jumped off the bike, and ran down to snap some photos.

Back at the hotel we decided to load up quick and fly to the port to catch the first ferry. Arriving in town they say no ferry until 2:30 because of a sand bar that has to be dredged. Having skipped breakfast I am ready kill local horse so I cruise up main street and spot a place full of gringos waiting for the boat. I try to order breakfast but they say too late. I opt for a hamburger. Looks great when served…a couple bites into it I questions the source of the meat….very fatty, not cooked enough….half way through I give up because I know this isn’t going to end well.

We drive back to the other port and try our luck there. Next ferry is 3:00 but at least this port isn’t crawling with people and it has a nice view.
Stomach starts to hurt after waiting about an hour. Al starts fishing to no avail. I drink water, a little soda, try to stay out of the sun. Meanwhile the soldiers who ride on the ferry show up and let us know we don’t have reservations. For the next hour Al fed them beer and cigarettes and magically we showed up on the list and were allowed to roll the bikes onboard.

I thought the rough seas would be enough for me to get rid of the burger but it wasn’t coming up. I laid in agony. An hour later we disembarked and I had a miserable ride back to San Juan del Sur.

Shortly after this I started with minor vomiting bouts. Soon turned into projectile vomit. Then escalated to PV with simultaneous diarrhea. Absolutely exhausted with no bodily fluids remaining I tried to pass out.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #186
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Shortly after this I started with minor vomiting bouts. Soon turned into projectile vomit. Then escalated to PV with simultaneous diarrhea. Absolutely exhausted with no bodily fluids remaining I tried to pass out.
Man, that's rough. Hope you are feeling better. It's cool that you got to go out on the island though. I had to skip by it to catch my boat in Panama. Maybe I missed this earlier in your thread, but are you guys planning on crossing over into Colombia from Panama?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #187
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Man, that's rough. Hope you are feeling better. It's cool that you got to go out on the island though. I had to skip by it to catch my boat in Panama. Maybe I missed this earlier in your thread, but are you guys planning on crossing over into Colombia from Panama?
I'm glad I got to do the island but it really wasn't as cool as I was hoping for. I would much rather be doing Patagonia as you are...I'm not sure the weather will allow me to be in the area by the time I get down there. So yes, I am going to Colombia. i already changed the date of my sailboat from March 7th to the 21st. Speaking of which I need to get over this bug and back on the road! Best of luck to you Bryce

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #188
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
Whew, get well soon amigo.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #189
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Yup lil morgan is a s hole, no shortage of Stoners, ponchos, and trustiferians ( rasta kids with trust funds)
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #190
nmtrialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Looks like you guys are better at the liquid diet! Hoping your Spanish lessons helped a little in understanding what's up with the bogus "toll" charges. We plan a trip to Baja next year, knowing that understanding Spanish isn't vital, but helps...wife installed Rosetta Stione on my PC, so I guess I should learn a little! Anyhow, continued best wishes and stay thirsty my friend!

nmtrialsguy screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:49 PM
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #191
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Looks like you guys are better at the liquid diet! Hoping your Spanish lessons helped a little in understanding what's up with the bogus "toll" charges. We plan a trip to Baja next year, knowing that understanding Spanish isn't vital, but helps...wife installed Rosetta Stione on my PC, so I guess I should learn a little! Anyhow, continued best wishes and stay thirsty my friend!
I found Micheal Thomas (sp?) was better. Audio tapes.

Rosetta seemed very slow to the point you get fustrated, then it throwed me in the deep end.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #192
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Yup lil morgan is a s hole, no shortage of Stoners, ponchos, and trustiferians ( rasta kids with trust funds)
That is exactly what it was. I can't imagine being a parent and giving this things that barely pass as a human being any of my hard earned cash. It is quite frustrating to be honest.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #193
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
It has been quite the change for a guy that strictly drinks only on weekends. I might be taking the "vacation" a little too seriously. Combined with my absence of 4 days/week in the gym I should be in prime fighting condition when I get home!

Best of luck on your trip through Baja....it really is a great place to be riding. Spanish is overated.....unless you're trying to get laid

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #194
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Made it to Costa Rica today!!

Border Crossing: Not nearly as bad as we had heard. Leaving Nicaragua was a pain in the ass because locating the correct buildings in the correct order is all but impossible. I finally hired a “helper” who whisked me from office to office to complete the exportation. When getting the passports stamped (I use a plural “passports” because I carried around Al’s paperwork while he watched the bike) my “helper” told me I had to pay $12 each for the stamp. Bullshit! I just read online last night that it ranges from $2-$4 to stamp out of Nic. After a bunch of arguing my broken Spanish got both stamps for $4 total. Total time to exit was 1 hour.

The last 10 miles of Nicaragua were interesting. We saw what knocked out our power yesterday, flipped over vehicle, and landed is some sort of fly territory....they taste disgusting.

We had heard from a number of people that getting into Costa Rica could be a 4-5 hour project especially on the weekends. It took us a total of 90 minutes to get through with the bikes. This is a much more organized/official process than any of the other countries w/nice facilities as well. It cost $30 each in total. That is how much the bike insurance cost. No other fees at all.

The road was nothing spectacular upon entering CR. Mostly desert with sporadic palm trees and lots of road construction. After an hour or so we stumbled into Liberia and 3 recognizable signs popped out; MacDonalds, Burger King, Papa Johns. My stomach is still in knots especially when low on food and we hadn’t eaten yet today. A burger is not exactly tickling my fancy by I opt for a whopper value meal anyway…..it was delicious.

Thirty miles later we turn off the main road toward Lake Arenal. I short while later it turns to hard pack dirt with a bit of loose gravel on top. The landscape is rolling fluorescent green hills with ominous clouds passing overhead. The flowers are bright crisp colors accented by the clean cut fields that the cows are roaming on in the background. This is postcard perfect Costa Rica. I have yet to visit a country that actually looks like the flier….truly breathtaking.
We arrive at the lake, the dirt fades to concrete, but the view gets even better.

Slowly cruising around the lake we stopped and grabbed some coffee at a café with a beautiful view. Best cup of Joe I have had on this trip…period.
The prices aren’t exactly where I would like them to be but so far I LIKE COSTA RICA.

We checked a few hotels but nothing working for us. Then we stumbled upon some property lots for sale after driving up this hill. This is us parked on one of the lots. We strongly contemplated camping here but thought twice about it being our first night in CR, the land is not public, and with all the leaf cutter ants on the ground who knows what else comes out at night (yeah we’re big pussies).

Moving along we found Toad Hall about half way down the edge of the lake. Asked for room price, didn’t quite fit the budget so the nice lady starts explaining where in La Fortuna we should be able to get a place. After a little more friendly conversation she decides to give us their 3 bedroom house rental for about half price. Sweet! Really friendly folks, great view, nice place, good food, and really cold beer all at Toad Hall on Lake Arenal (more shamless plugs to come).

Saw a Toucan off the balcony up in the tree:

And in the evening we grabbed an awesome pizza and watched the A-Team while creepy crawlers surrounded the place.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #195
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Woah. How big was that guy?

I didn't see too big of bugs when I went south. Few snakes 1-4ft long, a coupel trantulas, and few gigantic ants, and one spider that was probably 4.5 inches round. That thing looked like it could eat me.

We're lucky here. No big bugs so yea, seeing huge things down there make me wonder which ones to worry about. On the CDT we bumped into some Cali guys and they said scorpians aren't really much to worry about. My whole trip I kept an eye out for one of those!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote