Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #211
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Some of the off-road was intense slippery rocks with an added bonus of a sheer cliff and no guardrail.
Although there is no guardrail, in the video I notice a bit of barbed-wire to tear you up before going over.

Anyhow, no thanks needed. It was a pleasure having you. Next best thing to being on an epic ADV and posting daily RR's is to play a small roll in one.

That and the garage looks so nice full of ADV bikes.

Glad to hear your alright after playing a bit of bumper cars.

Keep on keepin' on!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #212
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Although there is no guardrail, in the video I notice a bit of barbed-wire to tear you up before going over.
This is true. However there were also spots with nothing but a slippery slope. Should you be working Greg?
Romanousky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #213
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

First order of business was breakfast.

Cool bridge on the way to breakfast:

After that we headed out in search of a new/cheaper Hostel because we decided to stay here for two more nights. After 5-6 different places we found the perfect joint. And there was a 1200R BMW to boot.

Then back at the original place is was time to survey the damage seeing as I got fricken creamed yesterday. Subframe and the saddle bag mount that I built seem to have handled the blow very well. The steering stop is non-existent but we’ll worry about that later. Bars seem relatively straight given the circumstances.

Just a touch of blue paint from the truck:

Decide to load up and ride the 6 blocks to the next hostel. During this short trip is when I realize my front rim is bent along with some nice tire tread on my front fender. I must have collided directly with the real wheel of the truck….but still managed a large dent behind it….maybe that was my body doing some additional cosmetic work.

Well shit guys… THIS IS WHERE I COULD USE A LITTLE HELP from all you experienced riders. I’ve never bent a rim before. The biggest question is can I finish the trip like this. Will the tires wear too abnormal? Will I be going through front wheel bearings like crazy? I will try to get a short GoPro video uploaded to show the extent of bending.

I’ve inspected the disc and it seems to run true within the caliper but I don’t have a dial indicator to do anything too detailed.

I’ve ran the bike up to my max cruising speed and the handlebar vibration seems to be minimal. When I lightly apply the brake I cannot feel any “surging” like I would if the disc was really out of flat. It seems rideable but any insight from you guys would be much appreciated. Also, I’ve never laced a hoop to a hub so if it is very difficult for a beginner it is probably out of the question…..however I am mechanically capable. Anxious to hear back guys!!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #214
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
Bent my front rim on my DRZ some time back although it wasn't by hitting a truck Guess my biggest problem was that going more than about 35 MPH on the street the bike would kinda pogo stick along and there was no way I could get any distance like that. In the dirt I didn't really notice anything and the tires didn't have much chance to wear before it drove me crazy. Didn't seem to hurt my wheel bearings or spokes although when it came time to install a new rim a bunch of the spokes were seized and I will assume yours may be as well. You may have to buy some spokes and nipples and cut the old ones out. After a bunch of research I opted for a little stronger rim and I think I bought it on Ebay, of course in the interest of time maybe you could just find a new assembly and continue your voyage. I am using a Moose and it fixed me right up for about $100. If you are not mechanical then I would find a local bike shop that will help you lace it up. I wound up learning a bunch from You Tube and a local bicycle guy. Not really hard to do but you have to put down the cervezas and really pay attention...well at least I did. Hope you get her all fixed up real soon! Try one of the hundreds here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Moose-Ra...6d3f27&vxp=mtr
Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #215
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Thanks for the help buddy. I don't have time to ship something in from the states but I might be able to find a hoop and some spokes in Panama City....or someone that knows what they are doing to try and straighten it out. Sounds like yours was a lot worse than mine. the bike does not pogo down the road so maybe all is okay. My biggest fear is that the rim is weekend and the next tope that I slam into at 60 mph is going to taco my rim.

Appreciate the help
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #216
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Bent Rim

I can't really give you a lot of technical advice, but if you can make it to Panama City, you should be golden. If you can make it to Medellin, Colombia, you would be even more golden. They have a whole street dedicated to motorcycles.

One of the guys that I knew was riding a bike with solid rims when he hit a pot hole in Honduras and bent them both. He had to replace one, but he was able to pound the other one back into shape and re-weld it. I'm %100 positive that you can find a solution if you look hard enough. It may not run like new, but it will run!

If it gets really bad, put out an SOS on advrider. If someone is travelling to Panama anytime soon, they may be willing to bring you a new rim if you send it to them. I've also seen that happen.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #217
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Bent Rim Pt 2

Oh and lacing and truing a hub to a rim isn't too hard. You may need some special tools like a spoke wrench and truing stand, but there are probably a million youtube videos on the subject.

And finally, congrats on surviving the crash! It's a great feeling when you can just bounce up and walk away like nothing happened, right?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #218
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Oh and lacing and truing a hub to a rim isn't too hard. You may need some special tools like a spoke wrench and truing stand, but there are probably a million youtube videos on the subject.

And finally, congrats on surviving the crash! It's a great feeling when you can just bounce up and walk away like nothing happened, right?
I did bring a spoke wrench but left the truing stand at home....pretty easy to make one of those though.

I think I can easily make it to PC and Medellin but I was planning to ride up into Guajira peninsula in Colombia after docking. We'll see about that one.

Jumping up after the loud crunch and hitting the pavement was like heaven on earth. I couldn't believe and felt totally invincible. So glad I was fully suited up. Makes all the hot sweaty days in heavy gear and MX boots worthwhile.

Thanks for chiming in Bryce! Best of luck to you. Pura Vida buddy
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #219
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

Yup,

If that's the worst of your worries, you're good.

Are you sore today?

Do some research about the wheel truing. Ideally you would want a stand, but in a pinch you can fab something up with wood and your axle. It doesn't have to be 100% by any means. If you don't have a spoke wrench but your nipples aren't stuck (har har), you can get away with a crescent wrench. Just be easy on them. Worse case go to a welding shop and have them put a slot in a piece of metal the same width of your spoke nipple. Hell, they could probably fix the wheels but don't plan on it being great either.

With a few hours of work and thinking out side the box I'm confident you can get it to be 90%, if not 95-98%. Just make sure to very closely inspect the hub and wheel for damages, cracks, etc.

JB/epoxy a mold of the steering stop and be done with it. Cast doesn't weld well (or at all really).
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #220
nmtrialsguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Glad to hear you are OK! I would think the forks may be tweaked a little also. I would loosen things up and do your best to kind of see if forks function correctly, up/down, and if in alignment. Loosen bottom pinch bolts, spin wheel apply brake quickly it will center the wheel do it a few times then carefully tighten pinch bolts. It would also seem likely that the handlebars would be bent, but that's not a biggie. Best of luck, have it checked out in PC if it acts squirrely.
'12 KTM 500EXC
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #221
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Yup,

Are you sore today?

JB/epoxy a mold of the steering stop and be done with it. Cast doesn't weld well (or at all really).
Yes. For some reason my groin muscles were very sore as was my shoulder that hit the truck. That was yesterday. Today I'm feeling back up to par minus the rum seeping through my pores.

Cast is quite tricky and I imagine there is a decent silicon content in the triples so I'm not even going there. Brought some JB so I'll stick it on and see how long it lasts. Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #222
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
I would loosen things up and do your best to kind of see if forks function correctly, up/down, and if in alignment. Loosen bottom pinch bolts, spin wheel apply brake quickly it will center the wheel do it a few times then carefully tighten pinch bolts.
Done! Forks seem to properly function but I guess time will tell. Thank you
Old 03-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #223
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Feeling quite sore today I opted for a paved drive higher into the mountains from Boquete to check out some waterfalls. The drive was nice but it was very misty up in the higher elevations. There seems to be clouds of mist coming over the mountain tops from the Caribbean side but it all evaporates before it can touch the ground (at least in Boquete).

We walk across a suspension bridge and start the incline. A half mile of slippery rocky slope later we come to a shack where now we have to pay some guy to continue on. Another mile up a muddy trail and then 100 yards down sloppy footing in my superd Sidi hiking boots and we made it to the waterfall. It was nice but Im starting to reach a state of boredom with waterfalls.

Back to the bikes we make a quick getaway and find a Botanical Garden to walk through.

Then Marnix and Lisan show up at our hostel and we celebrate their one year on the road anniversary with too many beers and a couple bottles of cheap rum.

Alex and I made a nice dinner of enchiladas and steamed broccoli/carrots over white rice. The Dutch enjoyed the Enchiladas.

SOBERANA Beer.....the jokes in the can

Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #224
trevd
n00b

Oddometer: 3
It was nice but Im starting to reach a state of boredom with waterfalls.

HAHA... If you want real boredom I can send you pictures of the snowbanks in my yard that I've been looking at for the past 3 months.

Fantastic ride report! Seems like you're having a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Trevor
trevd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #225
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Yo! Just sent you a PM about the Independence. Looks like you're having fun.