Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #226
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 306
Glad you and Al are not all fkd up from that crash with the pickup driver. Hope you get your wheel fixed up. My DRZ had custom lowering job done on it and it has terrible head shake, I feels the wobbles too.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #227
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevd View Post
It was nice but I’m starting to reach a state of boredom with waterfalls.

HAHA... If you want real boredom I can send you pictures of the snowbanks in my yard that I've been looking at for the past 3 months.

Fantastic ride report! Seems like you're having a great time. Thanks for sharing!

Trevor
Thanks Trevor! We are having a blast....it all seems to become relative after a bit. I guess i just need to think about what I would be doing at home....sitting in a office playing on a computer and griping about the constant rain of Oregon. So you are correct, I have it much better in my current state.

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #228
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Yo! Just sent you a PM about the Independence. Looks like you're having fun.
Replying now....thank you for your time to share the experience!

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #229
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
Glad you and Al are not all fkd up from that crash with the pickup driver. Hope you get your wheel fixed up. My DRZ had custom lowering job done on it and it has terrible head shake, I feels the wobbles too.
Al has the lowering links on his and I am SO glad I didn't do that. He really needs suspension work if he wants to keep that. The bike is bobbing and weaving all over the place...especially in the corners. I hate riding it. I need to start a list of all you Bend folks because I love riding over there but have nobody to do it with. Really going to try hard to find work in that area when i get back.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #230
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Today I slept in and then went over the bike adjusting the fork/wheel alignment and tightening some spokes.

The owner of the hostel (and K1200R) decided to put on a Potluck BBQ where he would grill up all the meats and guests can bring sides. Nobody brought sides and nobody needed to….this was quite the feast!

And by the way....if you travel to Boquete I highly recommend the Hostel Refugio del Rio. It is very nice, the owner is cool, and it is the best hostel we have stayed in.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #231
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Something I failed to mention about yesterday is our efforts to find a different mode of transportation to Colombia. One would think this would be an easy and straight forward process since there is no road to get there. It is not!

There are only a couple of sailboats that are willing to take motorcycles that sail about twice per month. The other option is to fly the bikes and ourselves but this has been ruled out because it is much more expensive. Not only that but we have a place booked in Medellin for a specific time so even if we flew, then we would have to burn up a weeks worth of time which is even more money. Another option is a cargo ship but the paperwork sounds like a nightmare and will probably cost close to the same as the sailboat.

So alas, we are sticking with the boat. The reason it was questioned is because of a number of recent and terrible reviews on the particular boat we have chosen….didn’t exactly choose it was the only one available. Everything from disgruntled drug attic captain, to not enough beds for the entire crew, to terrible eating conditions, to the purified sea water that isn’t exactly purified, to paperwork hassles, to questionable loading process of motorcycle (it may take a swim), etc… And on top of this the weather patterns in the San Blas islands is “sub par” this time of year. I believe our Dutch compatriots have opted out of the ship and are going to fly the Africa Twin…I don’t blame them, the cost difference is minimal given their situation. Don’t worry guys, we don’t hate you for it.

And moving onward….We just packed up today and road 240 miles to Coronado beach area.

You know it's Sunday when there burning heavy amounts of trash and catch the fields on fire:

But first Al ran out of gas so we drained one of our spare liters into the tank, rode a few miles and ran out again, the 2nd and last liter was just barely enough to get us to a station. I told him to by the Aqualine but OHHHHHHH No...Al does his own thing

Anyway, a friend of a friend lives here and we were able to crash at his pad….and drink his scotch….and eat the delicious meals prepared for us….all while having a fantastic view of the Panama coastline. Thank you very much Steve for the hospitality.

His lives on the 26th floor of this badboy:

view from the guestroom balcony:

I like this view from the tread mill better than mine back at home...wanna trade?

Pool, pingpong, foose ball, hot tub, swimming pool, etc.... all on the top floor

My drink of choice....haven't had this in quite some time:

Straight down from my balcony.....right on the course!

My wheel seems to have handled the trip just find. The front end doesn’t start shaking until about 60mph but we cruise slightly less than this so it’s not too bad. I’ll still try to get a fix in Medellin where the resources are a bit more plentiful.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #232
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Up and out of Steve’s high rise we headed for the big city. I had a few Hostel options picked out so we wanted to grab our room and then head for the locks on the canal.

I should be used to the plan not working out by now but I still get frustrated. It’s really the temperature and traffic that does it to me. But all the hostel options were booked full.

I even stopped at the hostel that is in charge of catering to the people that will sail on the Independence to Colombia. We still don’t know where to show up for this boat even though we have emailed multiple times. Here is my conversation with the gentlemen at the desk who was in fact wearing an “Independence” T-shirt. “So where do I need to be and when do I need to be there to sail on the Independence on the 21st? You should go the day before the boat sails so you can load your bike. Okay so I’ll show up on the 20th; where do I need to go? It’s about 1-1/2 hours from here. Okay, so if I leave from PC 2 hours early then I should be fine. Maybe 3 hours because it’s really hard to find. Okay, so where do I go? Well….I’ll right down some instructions. Okay great.” He hands me a piece of paper with about 8 turns listed….no street names, no north/south, nothing. And then starts helping the next in line. There is really no point in asking further questions because I have little patience for stupid answers but I continue on disregarding the whole “where am I supposed to go to spend my $1K” question.

“I understand that this is the middle of nowhere so where can I stay after I load the bike the day early. You can sleep on the boat. No I already asked the captain this and nobody is allowed onboard early. Well there is nowhere to stay so you can sleep on the river bank.” And thank you sir for your time and exceptional help that you have been able to provide me with this afternoon.

From there I drove around to other Hostels all of which were booked through what appeared to be a crime riddled area and settled on a fancy $40 hotel room right above the sex toy shop. There is always tomorrow right….

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #233
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Ahhh Panama

Looks like good times, penthouse to the hotel above the sex toy shop. Diversity is key
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #234
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
WTF? You mean to tell me there is nobody taking advantage of this? Guess I should just show up with my boat and make a bunch of cash taking ADVRiders back and forth to/from South America?

Seriously...wtf?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #235
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
[QUOTE. I need to start a list of all you Bend folks because I love riding over there but have nobody to do it with. Really going to try hard to find work in that area when i get back.[/QUOTE]

Add me to that list! I even ride Suzukis!

Awesome trip, it looks like you guys are having a blast. My wife and I were in CR in OCT and also visited Arenal. It was fun to see someone else's pic of the same area. We had coffee at the resturant with the toucan balcony, did the owner call them and feed them? Also the Raccoon looking critter (cotimundi) I think might be the same one we saw hustleing tourists on the road around Arenal east of Toad Hall...

jessepitt screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:42 PM
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #236
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
WTF? You mean to tell me there is nobody taking advantage of this? Guess I should just show up with my boat and make a bunch of cash taking ADVRiders back and forth to/from South America?

Seriously...wtf?
Yep! It's gotta be politics combined with the concerns of drug trafficking. Otherwise there would be a ferry transporting citizens and overlanders. Who knows....just makes it a pain in the ass to get to the good stuff.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #237
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post

Awesome trip, it looks like you guys are having a blast. My wife and I were in CR in OCT and also visited Arenal. It was fun to see someone else's pic of the same area. We had coffee at the resturant with the tocan balcony, did the owner call themm and feed them? Also the Raccoon looking critter (cotimundi) I think might be the same one we saw hustleing tourists on the road around Arenal east of Toad Hall...
I feel like a got gipped! Nobody was feeding anything when i was there

Yeah those ugly bastards must get fed because they were just hanging out on the road. Had my mace at the ready....didn't know what they were capable of

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #238
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Hey Romanousky you mention "the good stuff" and I know you mean South America
After I thought about this for a bit I think the "GAP" may be a pain in the arse but that may be a good thing. If it were easy anybody with a set of wheels could do it. You know the reason we (as a group here on this forum) ride dual sports is to get off the beaten track? Well maybe it's kinda like the old dirt/gravel roads around here...kinda keeps the others out! Just sayin'...
MORE PLEASE!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #239
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Hey Romanousky you mention "the good stuff" and I know you mean South America
After I thought about this for a bit I think the "GAP" may be a pain in the arse but that may be a good thing. If it were easy anybody with a set of wheels could do it. You know the reason we (as a group here on this forum) ride dual sports is to get off the beaten track? Well maybe it's kinda like the old dirt/gravel roads around here...kinda keeps the others out! Just sayin'...
MORE PLEASE!
I think you are right. It definitely adds to the adventure part....

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #240
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Today we headed for the Miraflores locks….the largest of the locks at the Panama Canal. We showed up in time to see a huge barge and one nice ocean cruiser going through the locks toward the Caribbean side.

Lock the bikes to a sign post....standard procedure:

We also watched the short “3D” movie about the building of the canal. Somehow they left out the presence of the United States and what our country did to help dug that little ditch….a bit disappointing.

The museum was very cool. Four levels of boat models, drilling bits, blasting videos, etc… It also had one floor dedicated to the wildlife that existed in the area when the canal was built. The whole thing was pretty cool. Guess I’ll have to come back after they have completed the new larger locks that will be used to move the super tankers through this area.

Then I just had to take a detour and ride over the bridge of the Americas. Really appreciated the architecture/engineering of this one.

Then off to the fishing store to prepare for the boat trip. I really wanted to buy a spear gun because I enjoy it a lot. Then I realized that the chances of me making it through another 6 borders with this contraption was slim to none. So I just went with a hand line and some lures….I hope I can produce something for dinner on the boat.

Then to the hardware store for WD-40 to coat the engines with before getting on the boat. And a large tarp and duct tape to cover them. And then a nice strong piece of rope that I will use as a safety line just in case the old crappy ropes on the independence should fail. Yeah I’m a little concerned.

Then off to the grocery store for the essentials….Al’s bike carried all of this and his suspension was just about bottomed out for the hectic ride back into Panama City. The outskirts of this town are complete shit…makes for some serious lane splitting.

Our booty:

Now that I’m back to my awesome hotel I need to figure out how to carry all this crap up to the Caribbean tomorrow morning.

The sun has set and the crack heads are thick as thieves. Some woman on the sidewalk just flashed me her golden teeth and pushed a blue pill out between her ugly grill….the security guard with a flak jacket and rifle looked her way and she sucked that badboy right back in. Oh Panama, what would I do without you?

Wish me luck guys. I’ll catch up with you all on the south side. Salud!

'01 DRZ 400