Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #256
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
A cup a crappy coffee in a dirty glass and some bread with jelly and I'm ready to take care of a little morning "business." the bathrooms are built just off the shore about 3 feet above the water. You can actually look between you legs as you drop bombs on tropical fish. You know you want to try it

Back on the boat headed for the Independence. We just wait upstairs and bullshit with Michel until the rest of the shipmates are hauled out to sea from their hostel. Michel is nice enough but totally full of shit. No point in questioning the captain before a 5 day sail but I had little to say to him.

The crew shows up. 4 cute Germans, 1 hot Swiss chick, 2 other girls, an old retired lawyer, 2 young Dutch dudes that love to party, 1 lonesome Colorado guy, and the 3 of us bikers. Michel’s crew consists of 2 Colombian women and 1 Panamanian woman. First Michel goes through the do’s and dont’s (don't puke or piss into the wind) and then brags about how awesomely fast and strong his ice breaking capable ship is. We are assigned cabins (which really aren’t bad at all besides the heat) and get our stuff put away. Lift anchor and crack the rum!

Someones nice toy on the water:

For the most part the boat is relatively clean but the engine room could use some work:

I’ve been on a number of boats in the past but apparently I’ve become prone to sea-sickness over the past 5 years after remaining land locked. We show up at the first set of islands and I lie in bed and try to recuperate while everyone swims and drinks. A few hours later I pull my stuff together and start to have fun. Tonight we build a bonfire on a beach.

First we had an amazing lobster dinner. The food on the boat is perfect. Simple, lots of it, good flavor, good variety, and very fresh.

The supermarket comes to you out here:

The fire was a bit boring because there wasn’t any wood. Just palm fronds so after a big WOOSH it smoldered for a few hours while we finished the rum. Most folks were a bit “clickish” and spoke native tongue with each other but after a bit it was American vs. Germans/Dutch in some game where you drink, run 20 meters, pick up a stick, hold your head to the top and run a circle around it, take a drink, then run back to the next in line. Needless to say the Americans dominated this game.

Then back to the boat where you can guess what happened. I have to do the same…Hah!!

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #257
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Most people slept on the deck of the ship but I made it to my cabin. Woke up hot and sweaty ready for a big breakfast. Just swam in luke warm water starring at the picturesque islands. And listened to Michel talk about how the world is overpopulated and the Illuminati will immerge one day and kill almost everyone….blah blah blah.

Defining a deserted island:

Pulled anchor at noon and headed for the “Party Island.” After dinner we showered (showers are at 5:00 PM sharp) and hopped on the boat. Headed to the only island with a bar, beach volleyball, and a bunch of expats taking a break from their boats. Volleyball was great but somehow I got stuck on the Dutch/German team and we lost. Go figure.

Then played some German game called Flunky Ball. They chuck a ball at a standing 2 liter bottle on the ground and whatever team hits it first chugs a beer.....???

Then we all made an attempt to thank our cooks of the boat in spanish....rather comical.

and proceeded to drink....

I am told this was some sort of height competition.....doesn't really matter when you're lying down

A great deal of drinks later and we were back on a dingy headed for the ship.

The Dutch boys who really know how to party:

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #258
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Hola Romanousky,

It was nice meeting you. Safe travels amigo. Keep up the good work on your ride report. It's fun reading. There's a lot of Oregonians in South America. Sorry you're tainted with Beaver fever bro. Quacker backers rule. Maybe I'll catch up to you in Oregon this summer when I go back to visit.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #259
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Great ride report! And this coming from someone who loves Beavers for lunch and ducks for dinner.

GO BRONCOS!
Solarbronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #260
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Great photos ! Who needs to catch fish when there's fresh lobsters on the table eh !
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #261
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola Romanousky,

It was nice meeting you. Safe travels amigo. Keep up the good work on your ride report. It's fun reading. There's a lot of Oregonians in South America. Sorry you're tainted with Beaver fever bro. Quacker backers rule. Maybe I'll catch up to you in Oregon this summer when I go back to visit.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Pleasure to meet you John! All I have met on the trip is Dutch people and Canadians. A few others but not much from Oregon.

Really sad to hear from someone that was born in Corvallis.....traitor!

Maybe I'll see you at the Shamrock today.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #262
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Great ride report! And this coming from someone who loves Beavers for lunch and ducks for dinner.

GO BRONCOS!
Damn you sir.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #263
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Great photos ! Who needs to catch fish when there's fresh lobsters on the table eh !
That's what i figured. The little boats delivered fresh fish too. And they all had spear guns....no poles. I screwed up on that one.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #264
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Today we had a decision to make. Leave after dinner into the open ocean and pull into Cartegena just before midnight or leave the following morning and arrive in Cartagena in the morning where we immediately get off the boat. Thankfully we went with the first option so I could have a night to recover from seasickness before going ashore. Then Michel helped us with a bunch of tarps to cover all the bikes from any ocean spray.

27 hours of lying in bed feeling a bit noxious but never puked. I think we lucked out with only 4-6 ft. seas rather than the typical 10’+. I emerged the last night for dinner and a few beers and then went to bed anticipated landfall in South America the following morning.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #265
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Last night pulling into the port was beautiful. The high rises to the left and a container ship being unloaded from the right.

Up early and then played a waiting game for immigration. This is the week of the saints (semana santa) so nobody is doing too much except watching futbol.

Finally Michel was able to pull enough strings to get somebody to come out to the boat to stamp the passports but no way we were getting the bikes off the boat through customs.

The bay was full of sailboats and a cruise liner all stuck in the harbor because nobody could stamp passports.

We got off the ship, checked some hostels, all were booked so the 3 bikers ended up in an overpriced hotel.

Cartagena is very hot & humid and really not all that nice.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #266
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Met Michel at the dock at 6:30 AM and started unloading bikes. This process wasn’t too bad but again I wouldn’t want to deal with a really heavy bike.

After removing my bike (first one) I had to push the little launcha back into the water. My big toe was just off the side of my sandle while I pushed and eventually when I gave it my all there was a sharp piercing…..a puncture wound on some dirty fowl rocks in this filthy shit smelling harbor. The blood was flowing pretty good now.

I stood on shore waiting for the next vehicle but eventually had to abandon my post for a tienda to pick up some hydrogen peroxide because I couldn’t handle the stinging anymore. I walked through the store leaving bloody footprints while the locals just looked on with a concern in their eyes but no communication to be had. That is another thing, I now don’t know any Spanish. It has completely changed since Central America. Nobody knows what I am saying….even the simplest of things. DAMNIT!

The know there is a little filth when the peroxide gets this foamy:

After dowsing my foot at the dock some women who apparently saw me walking through the street was nice enough to bring same gauze pad and a piece of athletic tape.

With all the bikes off we geared up and headed for customs to meet a fat German man by the name of Manfred who has our passports and necessary paperwork to bring in the bikes. Here is Manfred stirring the pot on the phone.

And yes, he delivered our passports with an exit stamp from Panama (don't know where that happened, and import to Colombia).

After some hassle finding customs (which is not far at all) we met up with Manfred….interesting gentleman.

We wait and wait and wait and the “Inspector” never shows up. Manfred tells us to return at 2:00 PM and he will try to employ a new inspector. During this time we did get insurance purchased but it was quite expensive at $50/each (this is a rip off. you can buy insurance at the Texaco station for $15).

However Manfred did tell us that it is the same insurance that was used when his son hit a car, killed both passengers, and put his son in a coma with brain damage and they paid for everything. So on the bright side it might be worth something.

On breaktime the 3 of us decided to go get another room for the night because we weren’t going anywhere today.

And had some soup where Al found what he believes is a cat vertebrae:

We return at 2:00 and wait and wait and wait. At 3:00 PM the "Pink Pants" (as Manfred stated) inspector shows up and starts the paperwork.

At 4:00 PM we find out she screwed up all the forms because this was her first time so a new person took over and wrapped everything up by 5:30 PM. Manfred was quite pissed about the whole ordeal because he had other vehicles to import. He said this is not common at all. We each paid our $35 “helper” fee to Manfred and went on our way.

We made it to South America on a dirt bike!!

Back at the hotel we settled in and then met up with the crew of the Independence for one last beer and some food and then said our goodbyes. We will be meeting up with a couple of the German ladies later on in Ecuador.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #267
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Did you get Mrs Hottie Inspector too

Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #268
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

It is 400 miles to Medellin and supposedly an 11 hour ride. The plan is to shoot for Caucasia which is in the middle but if we make it there by noon we will press on to the big city of motos.

Really a boring ride all the way to Caucasia. We hit it right about 12:30 and stopped for lunch. At 1:00 we decided this town didn’t have much for us so we hit the pavement and rode hard with few breaks.

We did find a soccer stadium made from sticks which was quite impressive:

Following the river front for a while was very beautiful with neat little towns.
The hillsides are a brilliant green that for some reason my camera cannot do any justice to.

There is also a lot of natural water pressure or something because the primary business here is washing cars and big rigs on the side of the road. At one point I threw up my arms in a big “spray me down” sort of way and the local didn’t hesitate to give me a big dose of high pressure….NICE!

Then we hit the mountains. Climbing steep through twists and turns without too much traffic. It was nice but the asphalt was shit with large mounds and corrugation like ribs that sent the front wheel skittering sideways. Absolutely gorgeous nonetheless. This is the Colombia I have heard about and was looking forward too.

Spawling city on a hillside at about 8,000 ft.

Dropped into the Medellin valley around 5:30 and into the city at 6:00. It feels very safe, clean, and tidy here that riding at night really does not concern me. The road system is quite a maze and we finally gave up trying to find the hostels and hired a cab. He took us straightaway while we followed in tow. Very pricey but at least we are here. Problem is they are booked tomorrow night so we will have to press on to a new location.

Just to fill you guys in my good friend Robert (the guy that helped us out with a room, food, and tools in Los Angeles) is flying down here from Portland, Oregon for a short vacation in Medellin. He gets here on April 3rd so we have a few days to kill.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #269
taranaki
statale

Oddometer: 1,310
After a season opener cruising around the logging roads up out of Scappoose today (man, what a difference one less CS tooth makes) I decided to look for your update and found that you're in Medellin!! YES!!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #270
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Did you get Mrs Hottie Inspector too

Didn't get that one. Ours was cute but by Colombian standards not much to talk about. I also missed out on some super hot insurance lady that I heard about. Manfred said she was skimming too much from the top and told her to get F'd.

'01 DRZ 400