Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #361
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I have yet to find a rear tire that works as good as the Desert IT but lasts longer.. Both on and off pavement.

That being said, options are limited down there, Pirelli's are cheap, and all will give you good enjoyment.
The Desert is a Great race tire ... at $160 it better be. Also, comes in ONE SIZE only ... a 140/18. Not sure would fit a DRZ400?

Since Pirelli has a huge factory in Brazil a good selection of Pirelli's around the region ... but IMO, none are really "Cheap".

I'm waiting for the Korean and Chinese to get into those markets and broaden choices ... and lower tire prices. (Kenda, Shinko, Duro, Cheng Shen) Running a knobby down flat in the center seems a tad risky, especially on wet paved roads. Your life is riding on your tires.

Next time .. tire up in San Diego. Should get you safely to Guat. City where just about everything is for sale. Salvador has tires too. Next, Colombia is best bet. After that? $$$$$ No deals.

My choice would be to run a Mullet combo: Knobby front with a 50/50 hard wearing rear tire. (Mefo, Heidenau) Probably no German tires down there. Maybe a Pirelli Scorpion? The front is what counts off road and should wear well. Knobby rear tires flat spot early on pavement and handling goes away, in my experience.
Sorry for the Tire Jack!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #362
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Shinkos and Chen Shins are all I've run and gotten big miles out of both. Aired down I could have sworn I was on a D606 in the messy stuff and they are CHEAP...just my $.02
Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #363
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Here ya go man, for $35 on the rear of the DRZ you can't beat it! I realize you are in S.A but surely you could find them some place. Real close to the Cheng Shen or Kenda in tread pattern but I have done 5000+ easily on mine and they are only half gone. Lots of dirt, rocks and mud. Maybe half of their life spent on the asphalt...good luck!
http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-244...FcN9Ogod83MApQ
Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #364
Nocturnity
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Seeing as you're in the third-world (like me), you might be able to find something similar to what I'm using on my XR650R.
I run a Mitas C-02 in the rear (http://www.justbiketyre.co.za/produc...einf-c-02.html) and a Metzeler MCE 6 Days Extreme (http://www.justbiketyre.co.za/produc...extremefr.html) in the front and they're both coping with the weight and power just fine. My tires have thousands of road miles and just as much dirt/mud/sand and they still look great!
Best of all, they're incredibly cheap! Rear is about $70 and front is about $52. That's cheap down here in Africa!
Nocturnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #365
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah Nocturnity points out an interesting thought that I had not considered. Although I do carry some spares/extras with me I have not done much proper touring such as you have carrying all that extra weight on the rear of the bike. I am sure that will speed the wear on the rear tire...
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #366
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Yeah Nocturnity points out an interesting thought that I had not considered. Although I do carry some spares/extras with me I have not done much proper touring such as you have carrying all that extra weight on the rear of the bike. I am sure that will speed the wear on the rear tire...
I got about halfway through a shinko 244 in 2000 miles mostly loaded down, and I tend to do a lot of rear lockups for fun and definitely abused that tire for the 500 miles it wasn't loaded down. I'm sure that tire would take 6000 miles on a sub-300lb bike. I bet the front could go 8000+
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #367
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
That being said, options are limited down there, Pirelli's are cheap, and all will give you good enjoyment.
Exactly!!

It seems this has turned to a tire debate. I appreciate all the information but options are quite limited.

I started this trip out of Oregon on MT21's front/rear. They only had 30% or so left as that is how I bought the bike. If you recall, I packed my current tread down to southern baja where I changed to fresh tires. Plan was to change them in Medellin but when they want $250 for a rear tire they can get F*cked. The tires didn't go to slicks until the PanAm on west coast Peru. By the looks of it, wet roads don't exist here.

I wouldn't be apposed to a more road going tire but the whole purpose of riding a DRZ is so that I can rip up the off-road during stop-offs in towns. Therefore, I am happy with a new set of MT21's for a whopping $122 in total.

Thanks for all the opinions and I will be coming back to this page when I get home to try something new stateside.....thinking about continuing the report for a bit when I get back. Work can wait a bit longer right?
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #368
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,640

To paraphrase Lance (disgraced as he may be, he was right about this part): it's not about the tires...

Carry on!

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #369
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

agreed, not about tires but since he had a problem I think we were all trying to help with some thoughts! Ride on and MT21!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #370
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 394
Hey guy's
Great reading.I have been reading your story every night for three evenings.My girlfriend is getting peed off because I cut her phone calls short so I can follow you adventure.I am wondering what year are your DRZ's and how many miles were on those bikes before you started your trip.
Have a fun and safe journey.
Tim.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #371
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

I really appreciate the help guys.....not trying to piss anyone off. The fact is I don't even like the way the MT21 performs (especially in dirt). It's just that you would have to do more planning or have more time to burn in order to get exactly what you want. Nuff said....carrying on.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #372
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjzondrz View Post
Hey guy's
I am wondering what year are your DRZ's and how many miles were on those bikes before you started your trip.
Have a fun and safe journey.
Tim.
Thanks for chiming in Tim! I know how addicting these things are.....just ask my old boss

Mine is a 2001. Bought it a few months before the trip with close to 700 miles on it (yes that is not a typo....old guy that never rode it).

When I bought her:

Alex's is a 2005. Picked it up with 5,000 miles on it. I have ridden just shy of 11,000 on this trip.

Salud!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #373
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Packed my shit all the way back downstairs and set off to the Honda shop. First stopped a the massive McDonalds looking forward to a sausage mcmuffin….they didn’t have sausage. Hamburger bum, hamburger patty, with egg and cheese was one of two sandwich options. Well, now I know where the largest worst McDonalds is ever. We arrived a bit before 10AM so as we waited for them to open I greased our chains, cleaned bug guts from the visors, and tried to clean some of the mud from my axles so the bearings wouldn’t get full of crud when they changed the tires.

Shop opened, paid for tires, brought them next door, had them installed in 45 minutes. During this I bought ever needed Peruvian stickers, Al bought a camelback, I tried on a bunch of warm gloves for Bolivia, thought of buying some new Sidi boots, and then talked myself out of everything but the stickers seeing as I am still alive with what I’ve got. Nice shop though!

New Tread!!

Rolling through a small town by the name of Chincha I saw tons of vendors on the side of the road selling wine. Thought it might be nice to have a good bottle of red for the evening so we made a stop. The gentleman running the shop was very friendly and let me try 3 different wines; Red, White, and a dark brown. They were all very sweet. Almost like fruit juice. I really didn’t want any so I bought some homemade peanut/chocolate bar things for a couple bucks and we went on our way.

Then beat down the asphalt to the Oasis city: Huacachina. What a crappy way to break in new tires. Still have some scrubbing to do as there weren’t ANY corners. AHHH!! Nice little town. Just a party zone with pools, cute girls, sandboarding, dune buggy rides and that is about it. Found a hostel with bunnies, turtles, and cute girls in the courtyard…..what could go wrong? Well, you could party so hard that evening that the next day you don’t even leave your bed and still feel a bit rotten even the following day when you have to ride through the blistering desert to Nasca.

Yes, that is a large white bunny hanging in the shade:

Yes, that is a turtle trying to escape the front doors of the hostel:

Courtyard of said hostel:

Central pond of Huacachina:

On another note, the sand dunes are incredible here. What I would give to have my ‘ol CRF450R for a day. Apparently these are some of the largest in the world at around 1,000 ft tall.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #374
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Yep, just laid in bed today, watched 3 movies, ate some Chinese food, and then finally hiked up the stupid sand dune right outside my door at 6:00 PM and didn’t make it to the top until the sun had set so could only take 3 awful photos of the city because I don’t know how to adjust my F-stop or ISO on this camera. Damnit!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #375
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Alex went out and partied hard for a second night in a row and required sleep so we didn’t get out of Huacachina until about 1:00 PM. Another endlessly boring drive through the most sparse landscape I have probably ever encountered.

Two hours through the desert we are approaching Nazca, then I see a red tower on the side of the road probably 80’ high and I know we are at the “Lines.” Pay a dollar, climb the tower, look around for 2 minutes, thoroughly unimpressed we descend and depart. Maybe it is more impressive from the plane but these shapes really aren’t all that big and I was expecting the actual “Lines” to be 6’ wide and 2’ deep or something along those lines. These look like someone took a standard spade shovel and removed some of the darker gravel on top to create some odd shapes. Don’t want to be a Debbie Downer on it all but I wouldn’t go out of your way to see this one unless you plan to get in one of the planes. FYI: I hate flying

Hobbled into Nazca city. Mediocre place in the middle of the desert. Kind of feel like the area where the plane crashes in “ConAir”. Oh Nicolas Cage, you are such a terrible actor.