Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #376
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Small clip leaving our hostel in Huacachina and driving down onto "Lake Front" for a quick spin and then out of the city:

Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #377
High Side
Squidventurer

Oddometer: 179
Which came first the turtle or the hare ?

Two questions : 1. Did you ever tell Alex what you "borrowed" his toothbrush for ? 2. Could he tell the difference because of his hangover ?

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Costa Rica

Ride Report - SQUIDVENTURE Climbs Mt. Washington
High Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #378
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Hey Romanousky I think you commented on the seat earlier on in the trip and said you guys did the Seat Concepts thing if I remember correctly. Looks like you started with the "S" model DRZ also. I have been contemplating a seat redo as well but am wondering if the "S" seat and foam are different from my "E" model. Looks like that one of yours is pretty wide in the back so I bet it's way more comfortable too! Do you guys still like the seats?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #379
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Side View Post
Two questions : 1. Did you ever tell Alex what you "borrowed" his toothbrush for ? 2. Could he tell the difference because of his hangover ?
Answers:

1. No
2. Not a chance. He is oblivious
Old 04-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #380
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Hey Romanousky I think you commented on the seat earlier on in the trip and said you guys did the Seat Concepts thing if I remember correctly. Looks like you started with the "S" model DRZ also. I have been contemplating a seat redo as well but am wondering if the "S" seat and foam are different from my "E" model. Looks like that one of yours is pretty wide in the back so I bet it's way more comfortable too! Do you guys still like the seats?
Actually I had mine custom made at Ed's Moto in Albany, Oregon. Well known guy does great work. Al has a Corbin seat. Mine is better/nicer. I have heard the E models may be a slight bit narrower but don't take my word on that. I do believe they have identical seat pans so if you do a custom job it won't make any difference. It is very nice to seat way back on straight stretches with "full" support and then snuggle up to the gas tank for the more technical bits. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #381
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Need a hand

If anyone out there can help me with this issue it would be very much appreciated. I need knew sprockets and chain. Chain is not an issue. I doubt the rear sprocket will be too hard to find (but could be wrong). The front is my worry.

Before you chastize me here is the deal. I put brand new top of the line stuff on in Los Angeles thinking it would last me. i have kept it constantly lubed and cleaned after off road bits. Been keeping a close eye on it and I could tell the teeth were sharpening and the chain sagging but nothing dramatic. Today 300 mile ride up to 15,000 ft took a serious toll on it. The difference between brand new and yesterday was moderate, yesterday to today is significant.

I will arrive in Cusco tomorrow and be there for about 4 days time. Fairly confident I could drive to La Paz, Bolivia if needed but would much prefer to change things in Cusco.

Biggest help I could use is a local here, a good well known shop that can pull strings, or just tell me if the DRZ400 front sprocket cross references with any other bikes. I'm hitting the internet hard but you know how that goes sometimes.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #382
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I have heard of a few shops both in Cusco and La Paz. Perhaps locals will help direct you? Those shops most likely will have to order your sprockets ... unless there is a Suzuki dealer there. I know Ecuador has Suzuki dealers, I think they even sell the DRZ there? I know they sell the DR650 ... and it's used as a Police bike.

Not sure quality of sprockets you may get there. Try to get OEM Suzuki if you can ... and always carry a spare front sprocket. JT (Thailand) are pretty good too.

I am a certified chain NUT! I've done a lot of miles and studied chain and sprocket life on a several bikes. Mostly on my DR650 (50,000 miles) and two Vstroms (90,000 miles), but also my 1050 Tiger, WR250F and DRZ400E, among others.

I've found OEM Suzuki sprockets to be the best ... yes, even better than the so called "miracle" sprockets ... which are typically SO HARD they EAT UP your chain prematurely. Trade off.

The real key to long life is a quality chain. Suzuki OEM chain is a mid level DID O ring chain. Not bad ... but DID make much better chains in their X Ring line. I've been through 6 DID X-Ring chains. (VM-2 X Ring). ALL lasted up near the 25,000 mile mark. I always change my front sprocket at around 10K miles. This extends chain life. I highly recommend doing this ... and pack a couple spare front sprockets if you can.

I would change everything out if possible: Chain and sprockets. Get as good a chain as you can afford (or find). Cheap Chinese sprockets will wear out quickly but should not damage your new chain. Just change them out early and keep riding. Good you noticed the "sharpening" of your sprocket. This is THE important Tell Tale most riders miss. GOOD ON YA!

If your chain is stretching now, or has kinks ... or can be pulled away from the rear sprocket at the 3'oclock position more than 3/8 an inch ... then your chain may need replacing soon. At some point it will fail very fast. You may be there now from your description. Caution.

I would imagine the rear sprocket will be just as hard to find as the front ... unless there is a Suzuki dealer in town. Suzuki dealer should be able to order your parts. Steel only, no Aluminum sprockets!

No idea what is available there for chains. Get a DID X ring 520 if you can.
Very good product, tough as Hell. RK aren't bad (top of the line) or even
EK (Japanese made) is good. Made In Japan is really the key with chains.
The Chinese aren't quite there yet ... but will be soon.
Best of luck on your search!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 03:39 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #383
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not sure quality of sprockets you may get there. Try to get OEM Suzuki if you can ... and always carry a spare front sprocket. JT (Thailand) are pretty good too.

I would change everything out if possible:
Thanks for the quick response. I was running OEM up front and JT in the rear. I know JT isn't top of line but I've never worn one out.....also never put more than 7K on any single bike. Had an RK X-ring for a chain. I think the front sprocket is the worst looking of all. And yes, I definitely want to replace EVERYTHING.

Probably all those wheelies early on in Baja fully loaded didn't help my cause....but it was fun
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #384
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Anyone ever DHL'd anything into Cusco? I could have my friends send me my original sprockets (OEM w/2K on them)....and then just find a chain.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #385
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Anybody flying into Cusco in the next week and wanna help a guy out? I hear Machu Picchu is lovely this time of year. No, I won't buy your plane ticket but you can take the dizzer for a spin
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #386
46Harley
not soon enough

Oddometer: 28
Cool Vid- felt like was almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Small clip leaving our hostel in Huacachina and driving down onto "Lake Front" for a quick spin and then out of the city:

46Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #387
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
You're onto something there. In my experience the very best way to get parts in is to have someone hand carry them in. Have them bring a chain too as long as your at it. Bring receipts for items ... just in case.

When I worked in Argentina (40 years ago for US govt.) this was the most expedient method. Some countries do not allow USED parts to be brought in ... so produce a receipt even if a used item.

I would have the person hide chain/sprockets in luggage and not declare it.
If asked? Personal items ... which are allowed.

DHL has a very mixed reputation in Latin America. I would ask over on the Horizon's Unlimited Forum for advice on this. More riders traveling over there.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #388
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I heard about the receipt thing from GRinCR when visiting. Thanks for reminding me. Now to find someone on a last minute flight.....
Old 04-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #389
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 708
Fantastic ride report! Please see PM for help in Cusco.

All the Best,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #390
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Fantastic ride report! Please see PM for help in Cusco.

All the Best,
Thanks a bunch for the contact. I will swing through his place this afternoon. My lady friend just happens to live right on the plaza. Ill let you know what happens.