Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #391
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,072
RE: the vid leaving the hotel...it seemed so far away from the actual streets...how did you end up finding that hotel? I mean it looked fun and all, but just curious.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #392
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
RE: the vid leaving the hotel...it seemed so far away from the actual streets...how did you end up finding that hotel? I mean it looked fun and all, but just curious.
So, the oasis city of Huacachina is very very small. It just outside a larger city called Ica. There are literally 2 streets in Huacachina. One travels along the east side of the lake (behind the hotels that are on lake front), the other travels along the west side. The route we rode out on is not exactly "Legal". It is not a street. When you see me exit the hotel and onto the street, that is where I should have turned left and exited the city....instead we dropped down onto the boardwalk that goes around the pond where all the restaurants and shops are. So our hostel is right off one of the two roads. Both roads dead end, otherwise it would just be a single loop around the pond.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #393
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Last night was f*cked up for me. As you know I was on day 2 recovery stage; not feeling terrible but still pretty groggy. Definitely not looking forward to the 300 miles that I have to lay down the next day.

Our hostel looked decent enough; rather new, clean, etc… We just lounged and updated websites because there really isn’t anything to do in this town. Around 10:00 PM it was time for us to go to bed. First problem there is some sort of family feud going on right next door to us. Yelling, hollering, people in and out, babies crying, etc… Most of these hostels are also the homes of the owners and this is understandable but don’t put guests right next to your inlaws living quarters….SBS. Then there is an ice cream truck that honks his stupid horn outside the building every 10-15 minutes until 2:00 AM….as if all the tourists are smoking dope and will come flocking to his little horn for ice cream…SBS. At about 3:00 AM I hear some rustling right at the foot of my bed. Earlier in the evening I saw a large (50 cent piece large) bug fly in and land in that corner….crap, I get up toss things around and find a hole in one of my Topramen packets….looks like mice to me. Lay back in bed for 30 minutes and then more rustling to my left….something is trying to get into Al’s pizza box sitting next to his bed. There are literally no shelves at all in the room so I can’t set anything up high. If I put my topramen in my bag I’m afraid the damn thing will chew through my dry bags. So I lay there and listen to the mouse eat pizza for an hour. I contemplated slapping on the SIDI’s and turning on the gopro while I do a boxer MX boot dance off on top the box but I was far too lazy….now I regret it. At 4:00 AM I fall asleep. At 5:00 AM Al starts sawing logs louder than I have ever heard him on this entire trip. ALEXXXXX!!!!! “huh, what” “please breath regularly”. That lasted 30 minutes I said screw it and started checking emails. About 90 minutes of sleep and now I have to suit up and ride 300 miles through the desert.

I make granola and coffee and get Al out of bed. Hit the road and immediately dive into switchbacks with a brand new set of tires that haven’t been scrubbed. Slipping and sliding I have to take it easy for the first couple hours until slowly I get it leaned all the way out and clean up the rubber. Every 4th switch a semi tries to take us out. This is the worst I have seen it. Full on big rigs around blind corners completely in the wrong line. Even when you make it around a corner and a bus or semi is entering it on the backside they will honk at you to move over so they can crowd your lane (as in, you are to be on the shoulder) and get a running start at the curve…..this has to be the most unthought out plan I have ever seen…and yes there are a lot of crosses up in the hills on the corners. My middle finger saw some heavy use this afternoon.

Adding layers:

Eventually we made it to a sort of “Plateau” around 14,000 ft. The highest we saw was 14,967 ft. There is a significant temperature difference between these two altitudes. A: Uncomfortable B: I can’t feel my fingers or toes.

The elevation that the Alpacas preferred was in the 13.5K to 14.5K range. At the tip top we saw some very large black duck like things but I was too damn cold to stop for a photo. I’ll tell you what though, those ugly furry Alpacas get really jumpy over my exhaust note when close to the rode.

These appear to be the Alpaca's retarded cousin...not too sure but they preferred elevations just a tad lower. They were thicker than Antelope in Wyoming in all the private units you aren't allowed to hunt in.

Anyway, a couple hours through this high plain and then we dropped into a nice river valley that took us down to 10K and warmed up quickly. I had to stop and compose myself a few times for fear of falling asleep. Made it to Abancay, not a nice place, got a room, some decent Chinese food and now I’m desperately trying to figure out how to get new sprockets and chain because this setup isn’t going to make it beyond Bolivia.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #394
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

On the ride out of Abancay we drove about 20 miles, taking us 30-40 minutes, looked down and all you can see is the town of Abancay. Almost straight up from Abancay at 7,000’ to 11,000’ and you can still see the city right below you, and snow peaks just to the east.

Abancay down below:

I am starting to become immune to these majestic views of the Andean range which is really unfortunate. When the white cordillera breaks the clouds I still have to stop for a photo.

There is something about bridges for me....they can either compliment the landscape they are instilled upon or completely blemish natures wonders. Either way I feel compelled to take photos of them.

Very nice blue river in a deep valley during this ride. The only other thing worth mentioning is that the last town we passed through before arriving in Cusco is having a Cuy (Guinea Pig) festival on May 1st. The only problem is that we are visiting Machu Picchu on that same day and then riding back to Cusco. Hopefully we can catch the tail end of it before all the oversized gerbils are consumed.

Dropping into Cusco:

Met our mutual friend Haley and headed out to see the town square. Nice place, forgot my camera but will get some shots later. We did get lunch and I opted for an Alpaca philly cheese steak sandwich. Take that you jumpy bastards! It was delicious.

Got settled in an Haley’s apartment and then went for dinner and drinks. I was falling asleep at the bar and didn’t make it very late at all. This altitude is getting to me for some reason. We have stayed at elevations higher than this but for some reason my throat is dry, have a headache, and a tad bit of nausea. Oh well, I’m shooting for 12 hours of sleep to try and catch up.

Romanousky screwed with this post 04-28-2013 at 04:49 PM
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #395
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Impressive to make that long ride without much rest! Do you guys carry Ear Plugs? I can't ride without them. For me they save the day (or night?) against Snorers and Crack Whore neighbors.

I've slept through fist fights, cops coming/going and more ... can't travel without 'em. (Howard Leight - Laser Lite) $25 for a box of 200 pair. Only time I don't sleep with them is when security (of the bikes) is an issue. It's usually not for me.

For riding, good plugs properly inserted you'll find you are less fatigued at days end. So big plus to ear plugs ... oh, and of course they'll save your hearing. Going deaf really sucks.

Cuy. I first ate them in Ecuador. Quite tasty and very common among local people throughout the Andean region. I like them cooked on a spit, Asado style. Yumm!

Fantastic route. It's foggy for me now ... I stopped in Huancayo and Ayucucho. Spent time ... and was treated to a Street Theater performance by Sendero Luminoso where I (the Gringo) played the "bad" guy. All in good fun and a HOOT! Shortly after that the Sendero went on the run ... and have been ever since, AFAIK.

I guess you guys are taking more remote back roads. Very cool. The DRZ has got to be the perfect tool for that job. !Andele pues! Suerte!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #396
nmtrialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thumb Keep plugging away!

Great to get up each morning and keep up with you guys! Hang in there you will find some sprocket help somewhere! Thanks for taking the time to do your updates daily. At some point I'm curious to know if you have changed jetting at all. You guys are sure covering some wide ranging elevations. Not sure if your s model has the same FCR Keihin as my '01 e model? Do you have the adjustable fuel screw? Incredible how well the DRZers are doing...well, not really, it is easy to take such a great bike for granted! Best of luck and keep it rolling!
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #397
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Do you guys carry Ear Plugs? I can't ride without them.

Cuy. I first ate them in Ecuador. Quite tasty and very common among local people throughout the Andean region. I like them cooked on a spit, Asado style. Yumm!

Fantastic route. It's foggy for me now ... I stopped in Huancayo and Ayucucho. Spent time ... and was treated to a Street Theater performance by Sendero Luminoso where I (the Gringo) played the "bad" guy. All in good fun and a HOOT! Shortly after that the Sendero went on the run ... and have been ever since, AFAIK.
Yes I carry them....no I do not where them. For this reason I wish that I would have kept the stock exhaust on the bike. My hearing is already shot from too many guns at a young age without proper protection. This trip is not helping matters. The problem for me, they get very uncomfortable and my ears get sore after 4-6 hours or so of use. The other thing, I can't hear the intercomm with them in. I know it's a bad idea but thats how it has gone. I need noise cancelling head phones under my helmet....that would be Awesome.

I can't wait for Cuy!

The play sounds fantastic. I'd love to get into something like that because I can't speak spanish, I can't act, i am a poor public speaker, thus it would be fun for all.

Quote:
I've slept through fist fights, cops coming/going and more ...
I think you are missing the good stuff
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #398
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmtrialsguy View Post
Great to get up each morning and keep up with you guys! Hang in there you will find some sprocket help somewhere! Thanks for taking the time to do your updates daily. At some point I'm curious to know if you have changed jetting at all. You guys are sure covering some wide ranging elevations. Not sure if your s model has the same FCR Keihin as my '01 e model? Do you have the adjustable fuel screw? Incredible how well the DRZers are doing...well, not really, it is easy to take such a great bike for granted! Best of luck and keep it rolling!
Great to have you still riding along!

I have not changed jetting. Tried to once, but then realized we managed to lose our jet kit somewhere along the way. The bike has no power at elevation, backfires during engine breaking, and is consuming more fuel than necessary. Other than that it is fine. I will say if you are at about 6k RPM and up around 14-15k feet, then drop the throttle to idle, sometimes it will die. Al's bike is worse than mine just because of the restricted exhaust.

The E-model bikes come with a nice carb for making power....along with a thinner base gasket for higher compression. Our bikes use a Mikuni diaphragm carb that is much smaller, consumes less fuel, and helps a bit for variations in altitude. I know my CRF450R would not be running correctly at all with it's big flatside carb. it gets finicky with 5K ft change.

I do have any adjustable fuel screw but that doesn't do much for mid/top end. I purchased that along with our jet kits from JD Jetting. Far superior to the stock stuff, worked wonders on my DRZ supermoto.

Roll on bud
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #399
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,601
Hey I am following you 2 and a guy who goes by the name Flyingdutchman177 his name is Ed,he appears to be close to where you guys are,have you seen him?He is on a silver and yellow BMW GSA.Great ride report you 2 are doing,thanks for making my day with good stories and pictures.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #400
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hey I am following you 2 and a guy who goes by the name Flyingdutchman177 his name is Ed,he appears to be close to where you guys are,have you seen him?He is on a silver and yellow BMW GSA.Great ride report you 2 are doing,thanks for making my day with good stories and pictures.
yeah, i bumped into him at our Hostel in Huacachina. He was photographing some cute broad in a bikini on his GS. Later that evening I talked to him a bit but I was shitfaced and really don't remember much.

Seriously look at my eyes:

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #401
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Yes I carry them....no I do not where them. For this reason I wish that I would have kept the stock exhaust on the bike. My hearing is already shot from too many guns at a young age without proper protection. This trip is not helping matters. The problem for me, they get very uncomfortable and my ears get sore after 4-6 hours or so of use. The other thing, I can't hear the intercomm with them in. I know it's a bad idea but thats how it has gone. I need noise cancelling head phones under my helmet....that would be Awesome.
Sore ears a common problem with Ear Plug users. Most are using the stiff foam plugs ... not good. Ditch 'em.

The Howard Leight Laser Lites are ... very SOFT ... and don't abuse your ear canals even after hours and hours. Quite comfortable overnight too.
I've tested most brands of ear plugs. (movie/tv sound man)

It's not the exhaust that will damage your hearing. It's low frequency wind rumble (sub audible) at speed. The low Freq's oscillate the Scilia (tiny hairs) around your ear drum, and low freq "move" ear drum. Not good. Over time/miles low frequencies will do permanent damage to your hearing.

You probably won't notice until you reach your 50's. First you lose high frequency hearing. Becomes hard to understand conversations at parties/ Bars. High freq. is important for conversation. (sibilance). Next, your mid range goes away ... by then your pretty much deaf. Take care!

Good luck tracking down drive line parts! !Suerte!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #402
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,414
Quote:
Sore ears a common problem with Ear Plug users. Most are using the stiff foam plugs ... not good. Ditch 'em.

The Howard Leight Laser Lites are ... very SOFT ... and don't abuse your ear canals even after hours and hours. Quite comfortable overnight too.
I've tested most brands of ear plugs. (movie/tv sound man)

It's not the exhaust that will damage your hearing. It's low frequency wind rumble (sub audible) at speed. The low Freq's oscillate the Scilia (tiny hairs) around your ear drum, and low freq "move" ear drum. Not good. Over time/miles low frequencies will do permanent damage to your hearing.

You probably won't notice until you reach your 50's. First you lose high frequency hearing. Becomes hard to understand conversations at parties/ Bars. High freq. is important for conversation. (sibilance). Next, your mid range goes away ... by then your pretty much deaf. Take care!

Huh? what 'd you say?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #403
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Becomes hard to understand conversations at parties/ Bars. High freq. is important for conversation. (sibilance). Next, your mid range goes away ... by then your pretty much deaf. Take care!

Pretty much there bud. People that give me a hearing testing look at me dumbfounded when I have raised my hand 90 seconds into the ordeal. "So, why don't you get hearing aids." "Surviving without sweetheart"

I'm a little late on it all but will seriously give these Laser light things a shot when I get home. They got a website or can I score them off of amazon?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #404
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 160
http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-...7267088&sr=8-1

200 plugs for $18. They also can be had with cords.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #405
Keel&Chine
Skilled Lurker

Oddometer: 8
A new follower!

Just found this thread a little while ago and have spent a bunch of time catching up. I was a little too late to the party to tell you to skip Nasca though, as you found out, that place is boring Another boring place? Lake Titticaca - unless you're going to Bolivia, don't bother, it's not exciting. Arequipa, on the other hand, is probably worth a visit.

Hey, I saw you had a custom seat made by a place in Albany - how're you liking it? I have an 09 DRZ S, and while it's a great bike, I never would've thought to take it on a trip like you're on right now because that stock seat is a bloody torture rack after 50 to 100 miles. Curious to hear how you like yours. How much standing on the pegs do you do during a normal day?
Keel&Chine is offline   Reply With Quote