Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #436
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Very nice work on the Macha Pichu Pics. Well Done!

As I'm sure you've noticed ... there are tailor shops everywhere in S. America. Mostly Men doing the work. Perhaps your Camel Back and Pants can be repaired .. or made usable?

Suerte!
Thanks. They did turn out pretty good. Obviously I"m not a professional with a camera so i was happy to get some decent pics of the place.

You are correct, lots of tailors. If it was easy to find the right fabric i would probably go this right. But since I have a leatherman, safety wire, and duct tape, I know have a useable backpack. Pretty easy to sew with safety wire.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #437
46Harley
not soon enough

Oddometer: 28
Great pixs!
Whats the story with the 3 or 4 roofed buildings on Machu Pichu?
46Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #438
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Harley View Post
Great pixs!
Whats the story with the 3 or 4 roofed buildings on Machu Pichu?
Not real sure. They look like original buildings that had new roofs built for them. I stepped inside one of them and it had a bunch of lawn care stuff including a few weed whackers.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #439
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Got up and immediately checked on my sprocket/chain after the big ride out to Machu Picchu. Steel dust and the sides of the teeth are glistening. F*$%@. Shoot down to moto avenue and quickly find someone to pull the sprocket and I help to make the right space adjustment, etc… looks good for now, time will tell.

This guy helped with the sprocket adjustments:

This sign made me laugh:

Rode to Puno on Lake Titicaca. Really happy to be back on the road but it was not very fun. Very cold temperatures on this elevated Altiplano with little scenery and straight roads. I didn’t even bother to take many photos. The only cool thing I saw was miles of fence line built from rocks. Interesting because the width of the “fences” are a single stone.

Thus far not really impressed with the lake, or Puno for that matter, at this point and time. Hopefully it will reveal a nicer side in the morning. Of course our room is upstairs and right on the street front. What is with these people and their damn horns. Just constant honking down the street for no apparent reason. There isn’t even any traffic. If you are on the sidewalk they just blast the horn to let you know you shouldn’t blindly step out in the street because they are coming through. Multiply this by about 10,000 and you want to just start throwing rocks.

By end of day the sprocket and chain are looking much better. No more metal flakes.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #440
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Get out of Puno and pound pavement lakeside for a while. The lake in this section is much nicer looking but still not spectacular. Just a really big lake at 12K feet and rather chilly.

Just think Beavis & Butthead....Titicaca!

Made it to the border by about 10:30 and exited Peru in a matter of 20 minutes. Didn’t cost a dime.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #441
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Rolled into Bolivia and parked outside the Aduana. There we were told to get our passports stamped first. No problem, this was a piece of cake…just very expensive at $135 USD for the Bolivian visa. It is good for 5 years should I decide that I want to come back in the near future.

Made a couple copies and showed up at the Aduana. First in line and we had everything wrapped up in about 30 minutes for both bikes. Exited Peru and entering Bolivia took just over an hour.

Five miles later we ate some lunch in Copacabana. Very nice little town right on the lake. Extremely touristy. Filled our pockets with Bolivianos and headed for La Paz.

Twenty miles later we had to board a ferry to cross the famous Lago Titicaca.

There was a ticket office but we just drove down to the beach and offered the toothless gent some money and 2 minutes later we set sail….or just fired up the tired ass outboard and puttered our way eastward. I don’t know what tickets actually cost but for both of us and our bikes we paid $5 USD including a tip for our very friendly captain.

Definitely got a sense that Bolivia is not rolling in money but nothing too abnormal thus far. About 15 miles out of La Paz we hit the shit zone of traffic, dogs, people in the streets, and general mayhem. We take a moment to recompose ourselves and grab some fuel. They just look at the license plate and so no way. Not from Bolivia, not selling you gas. I had expected this to happen in some areas but not right outside La Paz. No problem, we intentionally filled up before crossing the border so to be sure to make it to our hostel.

When you get to the rim of the mountains that surround La Paz you help but mutter to yourself, “holy hell this is going to be an adventure.”

Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #442
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
MOST EXCELLENT!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #443
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Thanks for the update on the Peru'/Bolivia crossing. At least they don't make you wait all day ... plus charge you a $135 Visa fee.
Sounds like chain/sprockets will go the distance!

Hope your stay in La Paz goes well. It's grown HUGE since I was there.
Good to see you guys are getting your fill of that delicious Bolivian Beer! Love the big 1 liter bottles! ... and thanks to the post WW2 German immigrants who got the Beer industry going in Peru' and Bolivia. (ya ya, ve are Swiss!)
Did you know it's all "malt liquor"?
That's why it's so strong. Malt liquor is cheaper/easier to make, no refrigeration required.

Stay healthy! Eyes UP!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #444
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
MOST EXCELLENT!
Glad you are still here Woodly!! Keep'in me going
Old 05-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #445
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Love the big 1 liter bottles!

Me Too!!!!

i think the sprockets and chain will go the distance (couldn't locate anything in La Paz so they will have to one way or another).

La Paz, is huge and dirty. Parts of it are neat but combining the elevation with the horrendous pollution it is very difficult to breath.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #446
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Hell yeah bro! Wouldn't miss this for anything! Love seeing you guys using those machines for big miles! Just as it should be
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #447
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Our hostel room is a small box with a bunk bed and 20 square feet to lay out our gear. No heat, door doesn’t seal, plastic corrugated roof, single pane window. A bit chilly is an understatement. So to warm our souls and bare the evening we put the local brew to the test. It worked, but this morning we felt it.

IBProfen, coffee, toast, and the engines are warmed up for a day on the death road.

First we fixed up the bikes to appear more like locals so that we could get some gas.

The attendant wasn’t having any of this. We got gas but at the “International” rate (which is $6/gallon).

Off we went climbing our way out of the city and into some sub-par weather. Rain and fog soon turned into snow and then hail. At 15,000 ft we were freezing, the road had slush on it, and we couldn’t see more than 50’ in front of us. The pace was set at 25 mph with foggy windshields that had to be lifted we squinted as the hail pelted our stinging faces. Both of us were ready to turn around but neither one would bring up the topic because we each knew that missing the death road was really not an option. It is one of the 3 main objectives in Bolivia.

Went for a little offroad on the side of the highway:

Al Failed:

Only 20 miles shy of Coroico we are still on pavement. Something is wrong. I start scrolling around on the GPS and find a very jagged crooked looking line that is almost paralleling our current highway. Scrolling over the road reveals the name I am looking for, Yungus Road. Backtrack just a few miles and jump on the infamous “highway.”

With all the recent rain the streams and falls are flowing, the road is slippery and muddy, and the edge is nothing short of vertical. The road is very narrow in some sections but really nothing for a motorcycle. I couldn’t imagine even fitting a bus in some areas let alone passing. I passed a few cars on the way but nothing that forced an uncomfortable situation. Just for fun we would creep up to the edge and then pull back to the wall after catching a glimpse of where you would end up if a mistake was made….a long fricking way down from where you are currently.

On the way back out Al got a flat tire. Why not, rain, snow, hail, mud, death road, might as well get a flat tire today. The good part was that by the time this was repaired the clouds had lifted and the sun peaked through. Made for a few nice views of the valley before departing this lovely area.

Al with the goods:

With that fixed up we hauled back to La Paz. Well, we tried to haul but were forced to stop and take photos. Incredible that we missed all this scenery on the way in. The mountains were like earthen stone plates that were shoved out of the ground at a slight angle. The stone was wet/icy and the sun sheened off of them it looked like something from a fiction tale. So very impressive.

Then we found some snow.

In preparation for our ride tomorrow we chose a gas station about 10 miles out of town with no clients. Pulled in, he looked at the plates, said no way. I said, “Grande Propina”, he shrugged his shoulders and filled us up at the local rate. Tipped him well and with that included we were down around $3.50/gallon. Nice!

Then returned to the city to breath more of the ghastly pollution and sit in our little ice box of a room. We roamed through the city center and ate some street food, hotdogs on a hamburger bun with grilled onions and an egg for a dollar. Then I got two pairs of ankle socks with Nike swooshes for a dollar. Then got a bag of juice of freshly blended strawberries, bananas, mangos, papaya, mint leaves, and a few other things for a dollar. Then had Chinese food for $3. Fantastic day!

Standard street entertainer in La Paz hurling flaming sticks at the stop lights:

Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #448
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Just a couple more pix on Yungus Road.

And one more in the snow:

Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #449
Jontacular
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi Andrew, we met you this morning over breakfast in Potosí!

As I said then - so envious, we are having a great time but wish we were on the bike... It's about the only thing I'm missing!

Have bookmarked this thread and look forward to seeing what you guys have been up to (the net's too slow to make a start right now)...

Jon

alreadybeenthoughtof.wordpress.com
Jontacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #450
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Both of my trips (on a bus on the OLD road) left early AM and encountered SNOW going over the pass heading out of La Paz. On the 2nd trip the weather cleared off quickly ... as soon as we started to drop down ... and it got HOT by Coroico ... where I stayed for a few days.

Did you know you can continue on from Coroico on dirt roads and work your way over to Brazil from there? Not sure of the route but some ADV'ers here did this a few years back. If my addled brain can recall it, I'll post a link.

Good job fighting through the Sub freezing temps, snow and rain. YIKES!
Love the pics ... you covered those hair ball drop offs perfectly ... but Pics just don't convey how fucking scary they really are.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote