Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #481
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Dont need much more for a good mining tour crazy

Been following along since you started and I'm glad you guys are still enjoying yourselves. Thanks so much for taking the time to share.
No you don't....can't think of what more I would need. Thanks for chiming in. It is good to know that there are some followers out there who haven't posted.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #482
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Mother f'er. Dyno-mite, Good Times my man that's f'in nuts
Absolutely fantastic times
Old 05-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #483
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
It's like you guys found the old west down there and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before some bureaucrat puts a stop to all the fun. I think that's why you said this portion of the trip will be remembered forever, maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, fantastic reporting and I can't wait to see what mischief you guys find out on the solar. As always, just living vicariously through you guys! Maybe some day I may get to experience SA but until then...Carry on
We did....and I'm sure some A**hole will. Woodly, what would you do if you had all that salt just lying around?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #484
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Romanousky, how did you and Alex fund this trip, lol. You mentioned ATMs down that way, did you setup a trip account and feed it until you hit critical mass? Are you using credit cards at all? Not trying to be nosy, but when I go on trips just up here in the US, my wad of 20s shrinks at an alarming rate just for a week outing, lol.

Most kidding aside, this post is causing me to think seriously about getting a DRZ for a dual purpose ride, if I can just let go of my conviction that I will be going on a long trip and need creature comforts :). Safe journey coming back...uh...are you going to abandon the bike and fly back or what?
I just called my bank and had to name off every damn country I was going to be in and told them that I would be withdrawing money in each one so don't turn off the card. I don't use credit cards....got me in trouble back in the day....don't like them.

When I am not goofing around I sit in an office and design manufacturing machinery for various steel industries (ie Mechanical Engineer). I don't make a ton but I don't work for free either. I bought a house in 2008, got laid off 2 years later and had to sell it. Lost most of my savings because I chose not to go bankrupt. Now I refuse to "settle down"....not my style. Got a new job and lived relatively frugally. That said, I have few ties back in the states. No wife, no kids, no job. Just a couple vehicles, a few motorcycles, and a 401K that probably will never let me stop working at the rate our country is going. When I return I need to find work soon because my wad of 20's are quickly diminishing.

I say just buy the DRZ. I keep thinking I want a BMW or a KTM on some of these stretches but for what? Also, next trip I do I want to slow it down. We move to far to fast. I don't ever want to do more than 150 miles in a day. You see more, you are more comfortable, you experience more. All the more reason to have a "dirt bike". however, if they can dial in the KTM690 I do believe I would become an orange fanatic. But seriously, I just hit 15,000 miles on this bike and haven't had a single problem (except aftermarket petcock issue). JUST DO IT!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #485
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Onward to the Salar to make some holes.
How did you know?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #486
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Thanks! You do know you are probably universally hated and loved because of your current situation, lol. Family changes the equation I must admit, or I'd probably be in trouble somewhere calling my wife to send money so I can keep riding :). You are doing it right, while your beard still has color in it, lol.

A friend of mine rode his Harley from Ushuiea back to Oklahoma last year, gnarly trip in one of those juggernauts, you are sounding like you are having much more fun with the smaller bike, save some brain cells for when you get back!

I will seriously consider the DRZ now, if I can only move my R or get a swap going, thanks again.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #487
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,408
[QUOTE=Romanousky;21399130]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasvis View Post

So glad this was the first response. I was afraid a bunch of cactus hugging hippies were going to give me a bunch of shit. Thank you sir
I see you found your TNT and took out your sexual frustrations out on some poor cactus.
Ha ha
So where are you guys now
I am just ahead of you in Salta
I did Uyuni to Chile on my big GSA.
Awesome stuff
flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #488
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
HMM...lots of salt, let's see...

First you should determine the top speed of the DRZ! Flat out, Rollie Free style!

Second, you do have some dynamite...
Can you make some of that shit stick together like a snowman? If so, make one and blow it up!

Third, lots of tall salted margaritas!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #489
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

In the morning we filled up the tanks at the local rate with the usual tip that is necessary to do so. Then we ran off to the train boneyard that seems to be a big part of Uyuni. Just a bunch of mangled old trains laid to rest out in the desert. Supposedly one of these was robbed by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. A few photos later we were off to find the salt.

These looks like a high pressure explosion occurred:

Drive north on the dirt highway for 10 miles and then hang a left where you quickly find the salt mounds being harvested. We stop for a moment and take some photos. It is so incredibly bright out here. I immediately start to feel the pangs of a headache and search for my sunglasses. They help but I need more.

From here you just pick a direction and twist the throttle. We head due west in search of the salt hotel.

With great success we find our destination and snap a few more photos. Then point west/northwest and hold it wide open for 30 miles until we arrive at one of the two inhabited “islands” of the solar.

Drink a beer and snap some photos of the cacti that supposedly only grows on the islands of the solar. They are large and covered with a thick layer of prickles.

Llamas everywhere!

Now it is time to do what anyone would do with this much salt laying around. Head to the middle of nowhere to take shots of Tequila!! Followed by many goofy pictures.

This photo needs some editing because Al didn't get the dinosaur out of the way:

Then drive to the middle of nowhere about 15 miles north of the last middle of nowhere and play with dynamite! Not that cool to blow up salt but I figured I might be the only person that has posted a dynamite detonation on the Solar. So There!!

This is my sad face. Notice the t-shirt. i brought this thing 12,000 miles for this sole reason.

Happy Face!

First I insert the blasting cap:

Then blow up salt:

Then drive to the middle of nowhere about 40 miles south/southwest of the last middle of nowhere and take pictures in the middle of the salty water. And while doing so absolutely coat your bike with salt water.

Then make an attempt to B-line back to Uyuni only to find that some sections of the solar are quite muddy and impassable.

Alex failed! My successful track is the one that continues on. HA!

Then head north until you can cut back to the dirt road that will take you back to Uyuni. Arrive in Uyuni and find that not only are all the washing stations closed but protests have started and the gas stations are blocked….I hope I can get out of town tomorrow. Get a toothbrush and a bottle of water and try my best to resurrect the bike before the salt eats it away. Shortly after get bitched at by the hotel management for washing your bike in the concrete “courtyard”. Then get dinner and start planning our departure for the morning despite the outrageous headache I have from the blinding light on the Solar.

Miss Iron Titties in Uyuni:

Number three is now complete. Bolivia – Death Road, Dynamite, Solar….Complete!!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #490
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=flyingdutchman177;21399467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post

I see you found your TNT and took out your sexual frustrations out on some poor cactus.
Ha ha
So where are you guys now
I am just ahead of you in Salta
I did Uyuni to Chile on my big GSA.
Awesome stuff
I knew there was a hippy out there somewhere.

You can't outrun us on the pig of yours. We are sitting in Salta as well. Camping in Cochi tomorrow and then Cafayate for a few days break. Route 40 is supposed to be nice.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #491
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
HMM...lots of salt, let's see...

First you should determine the top speed of the DRZ! Flat out, Rollie Free style!

Second, you do have some dynamite...
Can you make some of that shit stick together like a snowman? If so, make one and blow it up!

Third, lots of tall salted margaritas!
1. I know how fast it goes. Not fast

2. Complete.

3. I was thinking Tequila shots but not a bad answer at all.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #492
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
I say just buy the DRZ. I keep thinking I want a BMW or a KTM on some of these stretches but for what? Also, next trip I do I want to slow it down. We move to far to fast. I don't ever want to do more than 150 miles in a day. You see more, you are more comfortable, you experience more. All the more reason to have a "dirt bike". however, if they can dial in the KTM690 I do believe I would become an orange fanatic. But seriously, I just hit 15,000 miles on this bike and haven't had a single problem (except aftermarket petcock issue). JUST DO IT!!!
This is a great endorsement of the Awesome DRZ400! Why ride a $10,000 motorcycle down there? It could be stolen or destroyed tomorrow. With my DR650 (or your DRZ's) ... if she blows or is stolen ... I just walk away, still able to continue on.

I do agree about your pace. Slower is better if you can manage it. But honestly I don't think you guys have missed much. BIG UPS! It's been a great report ... but you guys DO move FAST! (from Colombia to Chile I spent 11 months )

Once I got to Argentina I slowed down a lot. Mostly gob smacked looking at the Women! Also very cheap during those years.

The Italian influence will blow your minds. In the Northern areas (Cordoba, Tucuman) you can hear Italian being spoken. Beautiful people; funny, charming ... but they talk A LOT (from the Mate') ... and almost never work .. and argue about everything!
Can you imagine two pilots screaming at each other during pre flight run up? ... right before take off? It happened! (we didn't crash!)

After struggling through the Alti Plano I think Argentina may provide some well deserved comfort and sensory indulgence. Lots to see too if you look around. (besides the girls!)
Don't get stuck on the Salar mud! Eyes UP - Ride safe!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #493
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
HA! I feel sorry for you guys, thinking similar thoughts as me!

This is EXCELLENT!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #494
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Too much sensory input, lol!!

I have been reading two threads, this one and the blog thread which I just realized was there, and was in a meeting on my deskphone and watching videos on my other computer, and innocently enjoying the Panama vid when it cuts off just as Romanousky tries to do the Lambada and evidently trips and heads for the dirt as the vid goes to black...

I forgot I wasn't on mute, so suddenly I'm guffawing and then realize there are crickets chirping on the meeting phone..."Uh...Rick, why are you laughing?"

The Romanousky Gambit has once again claimed a victim!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #495
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,506
holy effing perfect update. unreal and epic!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote