Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #526
flyingdutchman177
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,635
I posted the dynamite pics and videos on my blog.
I told it the way it was (at least the way I remember it......I had a lot of wine that night

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801516&page=164
flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #527
ukturfrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Glad we could help and thanks for the compliments. I don't want to spoil but my plan is to ship myself and the bike into Los Angeles around June 10th. From there i will ride back to Oregon. Not sure what the route will be but I will continue to post until i find work. Could be a while....the adventure will continue stateside....hope to still have some followers.

The wife and I will be in Beaverton OR. Around the time you "might" be getting back. Would love to buy ya dinner and chat it up a bit. My wife needs to hear a real life exp. so I can start planning my trip. Keep us posted.
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #528
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I posted the dynamite pics and videos on my blog.
I told it the way it was (at least the way I remember it......I had a lot of wine that night

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801516&page=164
I don't remember it quite the same but every good story deserves embellishing.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #529
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukturfrocks View Post
The wife and I will be in Beaverton OR. Around the time you "might" be getting back. Would love to buy ya dinner and chat it up a bit. My wife needs to hear a real life exp. so I can start planning my trip. Keep us posted.
Thanks for the offer. I'll take you up on it. Not sure exactly when i will be in Beaverton but shouldn't be too long after I land in LA. What are you doing there? I used to live off of Bethany Blvd.....and was in Jeffersonville, KY right before this trip.

What does your wife need to hear? Complete and utter freedom day in and day out for months? Drinking until the sun comes up because you don't have to answer to anyone today or the next? Having a permanent excuse to get the hell out of dodge after meeting "People"....for one day....or night? Dynamite? Party Boats? Fireworks? Cheap Rum?

I'll try to pitch it a little better than that but you can see the difficulty. Stay in touch dude.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #530
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
I'm only going to BA because of the time period that I have chosen to ride in. Meaning that it is far too cold/windy/snowy to go down to the tip right now. I'd love to see but it just wasn't meant to be for this trip.
Good move not going to Ushuaia, it's Winter now. I was back & forth there a half dozen times over a 3 year period ... never on a bike ... but
went round the Horn a few times in little boats. Serious weather. Even BA will start to get cold in another month.

Hope your transition back to "America" is not too painful. It's a bit pitiful once your realize WHY "the masses" continue to run themselves ragged on the spinning Hamster Wheel, clinging to severe delusions and shallow values.

Travel is liberating, educational and offers the opportunity to give back ... or to turn your whole world upside down. Problem is ... it doesn't pay all that well.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #531
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Hope your transition back to "America" is not too painful. It's a bit pitiful once your realize WHY "the masses" continue to run themselves ragged on the spinning Hamster Wheel, clinging to severe delusions and shallow values.

Travel is liberating, educational and offers the opportunity to give back ... or to turn your whole world upside down. Problem is ... it doesn't pay all that well.
I just hope it isn't too difficult to find a job that I enjoy. I'm not sure I will ever understand the WHY. I know the reasons people have but I just don't think that it is really worth it. I love travelling. Always have for the reasons that you point out. Most people really don't understand exactly what is out there. If it did pay well, or pay at all, I would take it up full time. Sounds like you have done your fair share, good on ya.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #532
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, we have made the decision to go and see Iguazu Falls….in the northeast corner of Argentina. So now it is time to haul ass across the country in little time. Crossing back over the mountain pass is a piece of cake and then we dip into a heavy layer of cloud that is absolutely freezing. With face masks fogged up I prop it open and let tears roll from my eyes as my face and hands go numb. After 30 minutes we break through the bottom side into Tafi del Valle. Stopping at the first shop for hot empanadas and midday coffee.

Entering the restaurant we receive a huge round of applause from everyone in the place. Why? I have no idea. After ordering I received some pecks on the cheek followed by a bunch of questions from some older gals and then after eating we went to exit and got a standing ovation. I don’t have a clue what is going on and probably never will. These folks are just extremely welcoming and friendly.

Finish off the last stretch of boring flatland and roll into Termas de Rio Hondo where we will stay for the night. Decent town with a lot going on prepping for some 3 day auto race that is to start tomorrow. Wish I could stick around but the road is calling.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #533
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Not looking forward to this day. I am fairly exhausted and we have to pound out 420 miles of flatland shit riding.

Ate some crappy half-moons (croissants) and got on the road. There is very little to say about today. Just held the poor DRZ at 6,000 RPM for a solid 8 hours. I felt bad for her so I changed her oil.

Unending straightness that went on forever. Just low lands, marshes, nothing….very much like the highways in southern Louisiana.

The day finally ended in Resistencia. We found a campsite in a town park (2 de Febrero something or other). DO NOT STAY HERE.

Went to the local supermarket to pick up the usual (hotdogs, buns, mustard, whiskey, beer, and some charcoal to forgo the whole “wood” thing). Ate, drank, went to sleep.

Research:

Right before bed some loud music started. Right across the pond in the park there is a dance floor, DJ, large speakers, and nobody around but the DJ. The party didn’t start until midnight…..the last song played at 3:30 AM. The first wakeup call was at 2:00 AM. The park security told us to put our saddle bags inside. We don’t have room for them…only valuables, riding gear, paperwork, and helmets. At 4:00 AM they awoke us again to tell us that someone was trying to get into Al’s bags. As it is raining outside now we hide the gear. Slept until 8:00. The only thing that went missing was Al’s winter riding gloves. Now he is wearing offroad mitts with a pair of my latex gloves on the outside. Everything is a muddy wet mess and all we can do is stuff it into plastic garbage bags and get on the road for a “short” 240 mile day. FML!!

Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #534
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Groggy, no coffee, not happy, pounding miles of flatland to no end. Land in Posadas and find a decent hostel. I’m getting quite sick of the lonely planet locations and prices. They are usually half of the actual price (prices are posted on wall, not just a gringo thing). Internet duty, a glass of whiskey, and a movie. Tomorrow only 215 miles to the Mega Falls.

A car that was not supposed to be up on the median at the gas station. Front wheels were completely taco'd but the truck got in my way for the photo.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #535
MRED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Glad to hear you are going to the Falls. Hope the water is high.
The Falls were part of my time in Paraguay and almost as cool as Victoria Falls in Africa.
Rev'It! Dealer since 2003
http://www.mredsmoto.com/mredsmoto.htm
MRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #536
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRED View Post
Glad to hear you are going to the Falls. Hope the water is high.
The Falls were part of my time in Paraguay and almost as cool as Victoria Falls in Africa.
Now you are just trying to gouge me. And my response is as follows from the water fall experts:

http://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.co...falls-list/10/

Quoted from the website:

"Averaging nearly 2 1/2 kilometers in width and falling as much as 269 feet, Iguazú Falls is, in terms of sheer size, the largest waterfall on earth. Though not the most volumnous nor the tallest, the sheer power exhibited by the Iguazú River at these falls is second to none. Further, despite the fluctuations in the volume of the river which can occur during drought seasons, the falls remain fairly consistent throughout the year, drawing tens of thousands of visitors annually. The falls have received so much attention over the years that practically every individual fall on the dozens and dozens of channels in the river have their own names - some 40 in all. The falls have been featured in hundreds of books, magazines and several movies - The Mission, and Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls among the more notable entries.

WHY IT'S DESERVING
This is what Niagara Falls should have been - pristine, protected and allowed to flow unabated with the full wrath of its river. This is nature at its most primal, most incredible and most spectacular. There was no question in our minds, Iguazú Falls is the best waterfall on the planet and there's really nothing else that needs to be said."

So for right now I am going to call it the "World's Greatest".

In all seriousness you are very lucky to have seen them both. I hope that one day I can get to Africa.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #537
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
I guess somebody is telling a lie..

FlyingDutchMan is saying it is one of you guys' idea.. and one of you are saying that FlyingDutchMan wanted you guys to ignite a dynamite.

WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #538
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post

FlyingDutchMan is saying it is one of you guys' idea.. and one of you are saying that FlyingDutchMan wanted you guys to ignite a dynamite.

Yep, one of us is. We'll let the reader decide who.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #539
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Iguazu' is pretty impressive ... but not seen Victoria Falls. I was at Iguazu in the 70's. Not much tourism then. I payed an old guy in a row boat to row me out to the edge to get good pics. The crazy bastard rowed within about 15 yds. of the edge. He would row around to various places to allow pics, then back the row boat in, working against the current. He could overcome the current but what if one of the Oar Locks slipped out?
Just me in the boat. Scared the crap out of me ... much scarier than riding the bus down the Death road ... 4 times!
Anyway ... made it through.

The pics (all on FILM) never came close to grasping what the experience was like. I doubt they allow rowboat guys out there to Ferry tourists now.
Too dangerous. When I went ... no foreign tourists took the guy up ... just two Argies from B.A. went after I did it.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #540
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote