Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #706
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Sigh...we now return you to your regularly-scheduled Ride Reports.

Andrew, hope we can meet someday so I can bow in person, lol.
I would love to sit down with a good humored individual such as yourself.

'01 DRZ 400

Oregon to Argentina on the Dizzer:
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #707
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
I love your sense of humor (and your description isn't far off ).

Welcome back to the States, hope picking the bike up is equally painless.
Thank you.

And it wasn't.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #708
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki View Post

When I got back from riding in the lands formerly known as Yugoslavia I looked around for months wondering if anybody else was seeing what I was seeing.

Don't worry, nobody is.....or probably will until that collapse does happen and then they will wonder WHY.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #709
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hey let me know when you get close to Happy Camp,I need a good excuse to buzz HWY 96
I'll let you know when I can. Wifi isn't as easy to come by but I will try to chime in when I hit the Redwoods.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #710
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdu View Post
Found this and started reading it yesterday on my 33rd. Awww, was this for me?! Very entertaining!

In all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to put together such a great account of your trip. I'm looking forward to a lot more RRs from you two so stay safe! But not too safe!
Just for you. Happy B-day. My big 30 is approaching and all I can think about is what road I want to ride for it.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #711
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
can't believe the ride is over...welcome back...come thru vegas sometime and the party can continue before i hit the road that is
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #712
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

I won't bore you because I am no longer in BA but a last few photos to finish it off.

Went to dinner with a tango show. Hot chicks with fast feet.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #713
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
Just for you. Happy B-day. My big 30 is approaching and all I can think about is what road I want to ride for it.
Better hit Donner Summit on old US 40, because after your birthday there's nothing but 40 ahead and all downhill, lol.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #714
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
can't believe the ride is over...welcome back...come thru vegas sometime and the party can continue before i hit the road that is
Very tempting offer Paul. I would really enjoy meeting you sometime but Vegas holds a very special place in my heart.....where it is dark and full of hatred

Vegas kills a small part of my body everytime I visit.....mostly liver and wallet....and the ride there from LA SUCKS! Wanna meet in Yosemite?

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #715
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Better hit Donner Summit on old US 40, because after your birthday there's nothing but 40 ahead and all downhill, lol.
I don't know how you pulled that out of your ass but it looks interesting to me. I'll try to remember that because if I do shoot over to Tahoe i gotta hit it.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #716
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
So, figuring conservatively at 45 mpg, you had about a 245 mile range and he had about 185 miles. At maximum. So a pair of extra rotopax (2 gal) would give you a 330 mile range and Al a 275 mile range roughly. Cool. So I can probably stick with my 3.9 and a pair of 1 gal rotopax.

I appreciate the answers! Awesome ride too, I'm jealous.

In my personally opinion, a big tank is much easier and better than a small tank with aux gas. The only benefit is if you damage your tank you still have emergency gas.

Aux tanks affect handling more, pain in the ass to pack around, something people can steal, just added cost (they aren't cheap, where your old tank can be sold), racking required, etc.

I love my 6 gallon tank (that holds more than 6 gal). So much freedom when I can do 400-500 KM/tank and handles better than my 4.3 gal, even when full.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #717
Keel&Chine
Skilled Lurker

Oddometer: 9
What happened with customs?

How'd they give you the run around in getting your bike back?

Anything you (or the shipper down in BA) could have done differently to ease the process?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Keel&Chine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #718
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Plane landed ahead of schedule at 9:30 in Los Angeles. Perfect! Now I just have to grab my bags and hop in a cab to the cargo area….wherever that may be. Hope in the cab, “take me to United Cargo.” “Where’s that? , I need an address”. Hell if I know where it is but it has to be on the LAX premise.

Then I remembered I have a phone with a little something called “3g’s” which translates to interwebs ANYWHERE!! Find the place, only 2 miles away and show the cabby. He tells me it is a $20 minimum fee leaving from LAX and shows me some flyer to prove it. I’m not lugging all this gear 2 miles so off we go and I get dropped off at United Cargo and wait in line.

You know how really lazy people behind a computer will gaze off into the screen doing absolutely nothing but making sure not to look your way so as to look like you might interrupt something if you ask for some help. Well, all THREE of the people behind the counter (with nobody in line) were doing this exact thing.

Finally talk to some girl and she rummages around in paperwork and tells me that Houston (Port of entry) did not send the appropriate customs paperwork. Thus, she is going to email them a message requesting a fax. “Well, do you a phone number for them so that I can tell someone to hurry the hell up?” She gives me a number that I call and the guy in Houston tells me that nobody is working the United desk today……so what the heck are you doing answering the phone?

Anyway, I get lunch (1 mile walk) and when I come back the girl has “found” the paperwork. BUT; the customs stamp is not present so she tells me I have to handle this myself. She gives me the papers and tells me just to go down to customs and they will stamp it then I can bring it back and collect my bike.

Then I learn that customs is 1.8 miles away. “Are there vehicles that operate between these two areas so that I might get a ride.” “Yeah”. Okay who can take me. “Well, they aren’t doing any runs today so you can’t get a ride.” WTF! So I walk 1.8 miles to customs where an absolute prick is running the show and looks at me like an idiot because I don’t have title/registration/passport with me. But he does hand me a bunch of papers that need to be filled out in the meantime.

After failing to get a ride from anyone at this building I walk 1.8 miles back to United and tell the girl what happened and that I need additional paperwork.

All she can say is “Yeah, I guess you better go back with that stuff.” Then I show her the forms that I received and she said “no this is brokerage forms are you going to use a broker to get your bike?” NOOOOOOOO!!! Well she doesn’t know how to fill them out and doesn’t think that I need them but I’m guessing the fat lazy bastard 1.8 miles from here is going to beg to differ. I walk back to the fat bastard, mind you there are no taxis in this area, hand him my paperwork and tell him I don’t how to fill these out. He looks at me like I just took a shit on his cheeseburger and highlights only about 6 of the 37 boxes on the form, hands them back, says “do you know your name?, do you know your address?, do you have a passport number?, does the vehicle have a VIN?”. “yes, I can fill those out you stupid ass”. All the while giving me shit about how he wished he could take a vacation and drive to Argentina. ”It’s not a vacation and I’d like to see you try.”

How can you put someone like this in a position of authority? I’m sure this position was filled based on “job creation”. The efficiency of this place is equivalent to guessing a number and dividing by infinite. Idiots!

So 30 minutes later he hands me my paperwork with a stamp on it. He says, “You better keep this in a real safe place because we don’t make copies.” Are you kidding me? First, I’m royally pissed because this whole process is taking place based on forms and my copies of title etc… Nobody ever wanted to even see the bike to verify the authenticity of this stuff. Second, I never even exported the bike. I simply drove it out of the country. I’m standing here with an original title and registration (for Oregon) for a vehicle that was imported from Japan 12 years ago. Why do I need his copy that verifies it came in from Argentina a couple days ago? Are there now two of the exact same bikes on record being imported into the states? If I had stolen my bike out of the United Cargo area no one would ever question it with the documents that I possess. Because, the VIN was never part of any form when shipping from Argentina.

So I walk 1.8 miles back to United, first stopping at a gas station with my MSR bottle to grab just enough fuel to make it to a gas station on the bike, with the appropriate paperwork and the girl that I had been dealing with the entire time has now gone home.

Presented with a new idiot and I have to explain the entire situation over. Another 30 minutes and she gives me a piece of paper and tells me to give it to a fork lift driver on the floor and he will get the bike. The first guy, sitting on a fork lift talking to his buddy about the latest rap music, tells me that he is not getting any more containers today. I hope he rolls that fork lift over smashing the small pea in his head through his ear hole. As I wave the paperwork around to various people flying around on forklifts no one stops to help. Finally, a very nice man comes up behind me and says that he can help me with that. Wow, I didn’t even ask for his help…..I asked to see his supervisor so that I could let him know that this was the only helpful person in this entire 50 acre building but he was out for the day. Five minutes later he pulls up with the pallet and asks where I want it. I said anywhere in the shade where I can work for about an hour. Finally, I have a real sense of freedom now that I am on my own and do not require anything from anybody.

Getting the front wheel on without any help is a bit of a chore and certainly nobody was going to lend a hand or a forklift for 5 minutes so I just laid it on its side.

With that done I quickly packed up all the gear and got the hell out of dodge.

You all remember Robert in Medellin right? Well, I hurry off to his Dad’s place in LA where I have shipped in new sprockets and chain (also did this on the way down if you recall). Traffic wasn’t terrible and I pull in just after an hour very glad to be back on two wheels. Lucky for me he had some Maker’s Mark that I treated myself to and told stories of the trip down south.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #719
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel&Chine View Post
How'd they give you the run around in getting your bike back?

Anything you (or the shipper down in BA) could have done differently to ease the process?

Inquiring minds want to know!
You can read the description. i suppose I could have just walked in with a gun and taken the bike.....other than that, not sure that i or Dakar could do anything to help.

'01 DRZ 400

Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #720
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,879
Well as others have said,welcome home to all the scrambles of life in the United States.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote