Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #736
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Wow, that whole mess you described with the a holes workers and all sounds just like my local Home Depot

Glad you got the bike and are safe back home, very nice report, how many miles were put on the bike, and whats the mileage on it now?
I put 15,000 miles on the bike. When starting it only had about 2,000 on the clock.
Romanousky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #737
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Been following from the beginning. Very cool ride and report. Seems like Oregon has been quite well represented in Central and South America lately.

Thought came to mind: Given the value of a DRZ with all the miles you racked up, and the shipping cost to get it back home, did you ever consider 'selling' it or parting it out down there? I know you couldn't have legally sold it, but could you have gotten some cash for it somehow--enough to make it a wash?
I really have no idea what I could have sold it for but I can't imagine much not just because it is illegal but there are hardly any Suzuki shops and literally no DRZ400's down there.

I would guess maybe $2,000 for the bike. Then $900 for shipping. This thing is worth a lot more than $2900. I have all the stock parts so selling aftermarket separately and turning it back into this and could probably be around $5000 total.

Bottom line, I won't be selling this thing. It really has a lot of meaning to me now. I'm curious if I can buy a crate motor from Suzuki and do another long adventure with this bike.....or just get on the road and see how long it lasts.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #738
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Hate to be that guy, but do you think when you have time you could go over some of your gear? what worked, what didn't, etc... I have a two month ride coming up and some first hand knowledge would be great
i will definitely put this together for you guys. I have already typed up a portion of it but I want it to be complete before I post it. It should be done in the next 2-3 days depending on how much riding I am doing.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #739
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
I would get on it and go. Mine has 17k on it also, its ready for a nice long trip... at least in my mind. Lol

Just give it a tune up and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #740
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Today is maintenance day. My plan was to retain the rear sprocket which may or may not be a good idea but it looked to be in pretty good shape. Problem was, I didnít have my chain breaking tool any longer and the stock chain length I ordered was just a bit to long. So I put a brand new 15 tooth on the front, a brand new 44 on the rear, and a nice EK gold X-ring to finish it off. I also wired in the SPOT tracker and added another goody to my handlebars.

Once I got the rear wheel back on and noticed some play in the bearings and sure enough they were shot. Maybe could have gotten another 300 or more miles but I didnít want to breakdown in the California heat and Roberts dad had enough tools for me to do the job. Pull it all apart, bang out the shit bearings, heat the hubs with a heat gun, and tap in the new ones.

Then I changed the oil.

Bob, Robertís dad, got home from work right after I finished all this up and was ready for a plane ride. Iíve heard Bob is a good pilot but I absolutely hate flying. He was stoked on it so I agreed to go up and see the California coastline from the air. I got a couple drinks in me and then we headed for the airport 10 miles down the road. Barkley the flying dog accompanied us.

Very smooth take off and we hit long beach and saw the old Queen Mary, oil rigs, ships, gazing off at Huntington beach, Newport, etcÖ. Nice trip but my ass and hands were still sweating it.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #741
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
I would get on it and go. Mine has 17k on it also, its ready for a nice long trip... at least in my mind. Lol

I agree, when I do go for another large trip i will throw in a new piston/rings, new timing chain, along with valves, valve, springs, seats, etc.... They are probably fine but it is easy work for a little more security. Two piece valves can get questionable at times.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #742
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Packed my stuff and headed out. With nowhere to go I flew across LA and got to the coastline as quick as I could. I have become very very good at splitting lanesÖ.I wouldnít have done most of the moves I made had it been for this trip. Didnít even brush any of the Bimmers or Benzos. SKILLZ!

Up north of Malibu I noticed a sign for Muholland highway. Iíd heard of this through my supermoto contacts so I figured I'd try a short bit of it. Fun little road and then I looped back on Dexter which was even better.

A little further north I cruised through a couple campsites but they wanted $45 per night. Yeah, that is the daily budget so not going to happen. Then cut inland to some lake that I think was called Chumaca or something like that.

Very hot inland and most the sites were dirt so I went back to the coast and found myself at Jalama beach which is one of the places I stayed at the beginning of this trip. On the way I stopped at an Albertsons to pick up some grub. Oh the choices. So many things to choose from and so many fruits and veggies that arenít rotting it is ridiculous. And English to boot! Raviolis for lunch, chili for dinner, some apples & oranges, remember Iím on a strict budget here.

At the campsite I still had to fork out $28 plus beer, plus a little firewood, and then relaxed in the sun reading and typing away anxious to see what tomorrow will bring. Growing up on a farm where we used to spends weeks splitting up the giant fallen redwoods I have a real problem paying for a small bundle of firewood but even a bigger problem with not having a fire when camping. Jalama beach is about 14 miles off the main road and a fun little ride. The problem is that the campsite is rather windy in the evenings and there is very little for tree coverage. I believe the primary visitor is there for the surfing. Not a favorite site of mine.

I was sold a bunch of hardwoods and with the wind and no hatchet to create kindling I couldnít get anything started (scraps are scarce around here). I traded a neighbor camper all of my wood to sit around their fire and warm up my chili for dinner; a couple of mid-twenty something year-olds that were in grad school in Santa Barbra that didnít know how to start a fire even with their gallon of lighter fluid. I helped them out with much thanks but what are you fathers doing out there. Seems to be a dying art that MUST be passed on.

Tonight I came to the sad conclusion that my little air mattress has a hole in it. Slow leak that I canít find. I dipped the inflation valve in water and with no bubbles I decided that an REI to replace this thing was desperately needed.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #743
Romanousky OP
Studly Adventurer

Picked up shop and headed north. Stopped in Lompoc at the Home Depot and picked up a desperately needed hatchet and then continued up the PCH. One more stop was required in Cambria at a little place called Sandies. This joint makes some of the best sandwiches on earth. I got the hot Pastrami which is a double decker of prime meat, pickles, tomato, lettuce, mayo/mustard, on a toasty bun. You really canít go wrong here. (If anybody has MUST EAT recommendations in California please let me know. You can check the spot tracker to see my location)

North of this is the ride that I have been waiting for and it did not disappoint. The PCH winds in and out of the coastal range mountains with swings in altitude of about 500 feet. The blue waters continuously lap at the hard rocky surfaces of the ever deteriorating mountain edge. Packed full of viewpoints to watch the elephant sea lions and the small geysers that erupt from sloshing in and out of the jagged rock formations only a couple hundred yards off the shoreline. Truly a beautiful ride that still ranks in the top 5 for me even after this long journey.

Don't ask me:

A few adventure boys but mostly HD guys cruising the coastline refusing to give the common courtesy of a wave. Passed not one but two Ferrari Scagliettiís cruising slowly as if the red supermodel would blow at any moment. If you require excess, then drive in excess and quit pussy footing around.

I snaked my way up to Big Sur stopping at various campsites looking for the best deal in town. About 30 miles south of Big Sur there are two sites that are only $22 per night but they lack any kind of store for dinner supplies. Up at the Sur the prices skyrocket but I talked the nice lady down from $45 to $30 for my poor lonely self. I figured it would cost me $5 in gas so I spent the extra $3 and settled in.

A nice hottie and her, not so bad looking mother, were staying in a cabin right next to my site smoking dope and I envisioned a nice little mother/daughter session. My newly acquired fifth of Jameson certainly wouldnít reduce the odds so I brought it over and chatted them up.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #744
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
I agree with all your comments guys. It is really too bad that my own country (that I am a citizen of) was one of the worst border crossings to date.

Alas, I must admit there are a lot of niceties that I am experiencing right now and loving every minute.
After my trip, nice, warm, regular showers were a blessing.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #745
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,691
Hey I may have missed it from past pages but where is your touring buddy you seem to be solo?The DRZ is probably good for many more trips,with valve checks and oil changes I think that bike will see many untouched miles,keep trying to wear it out that's what that bike likes.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #746
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanousky View Post
...so I brought it over and chatted them up.
haha......AND!!?

glad you're back on US soil man, sorry you're in Komifornia... ride safe and thanks for this report!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #747
bcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:

And adjust the valves. BTW, on this bike its not too hard to do that yourself.

With the reliability of these things (mine is over 10K miles with no trouble), I think if they would just fuel inject the DRZ it could be the ultimate bike for a lot of trips (where I think my F800GS is too heavy).
bcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #748
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcs View Post
And adjust the valves. BTW, on this bike its not too hard to do that yourself.

With the reliability of these things (mine is over 10K miles with no trouble), I think if they would just fuel inject the DRZ it could be the ultimate bike for a lot of trips (where I think my F800GS is too heavy).
Needs another gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #749
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
Great pics, keep the bike man, dont sell it, theres a guy on TT that just passed 72K miles on his drz, they can go for a long while.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #750
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Needs another gear.
& a higher output stator.....

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote