User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
wa4tog OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
High Beam problem on 2004my R1150GSA

The High Beam Bulb in my 2004 R1150GSA had burned out so I replaced it with a OEM H1. It blew also. I checked the voltage at the bulb connection with the bulb unhooked and it was good. As soon as I connect to a good bulb it blows. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did they fix it??? Thanks for any help.
wa4tog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Are you touching the bulb with your fingers? Second, are the plug connections tight?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
wa4tog OP
n00b

Thanks for the advise.. I have changed them before with no problem. and took care not to touch the bulb. I'll check the connections and cross my fingers. I've got one more bulb and they are not cheap..
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
So the bulbs are really burning out? Can you see that the filament has melted or broken? They're pretty rugged and take a lot of voltage to pop fast.

What's the sequence? You put the bulb in, turn on the key, and it pops and goes dark? Try and fill us in a little more.

If it is not very high voltage then it takes a pretty good shock to bust it. Has something gone wrong with the mounting of it?

Are you sure you're putting the right bulb in? This happened in another thread and it turned out the guy was using a 6V bulb accidentally.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
wa4tog OP
n00b

I'm not sure what happened myself, but this morning I pulled the light housing off the bike cleaned and inspected wiring and all the connections. Then put in a new bulb. After putting it back together all is well. My guess is a dirty or loose connection. Thanks again folks for the ideas.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
Just simply bad luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4tog View Post
I'm not sure what happened myself, but this morning I pulled the light housing off the bike cleaned and inspected wiring and all the connections. Then put in a new bulb. After putting it back together all is well. My guess is a dirty or loose connection. Thanks again folks for the ideas.
Dirty or lose connection will not blow your bulb instantly. It may decrease the lifespan of the filament (similarly to touching the lamp envelope, which will cause the body oils to permeate quartz glass), but will not cause a failure while you are powering up for the first time.

An instant failure of the lamp will be caused by either serious overvoltage in the system (unlikely: your bike's electronics would smoke, too) or by damaged/shorted filament.

I believe that you were simply unlucky and had a faulty lamp out of the box. One of those things, happens. Go buy a lottery ticket - maybe it will be matter of accumulated karma?

-->> James Bay & North Road Solo Blitz -->> Patagonia / Tierra del Fuego Cappuccino Tour
-->> Trans-Labrador Highway Solo Blitz --->> South African Cappuccino Tour
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote