ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #181
Mustangshelly OP
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 458
Day one

Is mapped out. The route is beautiful and mostly off road. Bring your cameras because there will be many gorgeous vistas to photograph. You will not be disappointed

Mustangshelly screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 03:21 PM
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #182
Mr Dual Sport
Wanderer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangshelly View Post
Is mapped out. The route its beautiful and mostly off road. Bring your cameras because there will be many gorgeous vistas to photograph. You will not be disappointed
You all are going to have a great time!

1994 XR600R-Plated
Mr Dual Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #183
MotoFlicka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Exciting!

I know this is slightly off topic, but sounds like many are riding more dirt oriented bikes.

I'm in the market. Can anyone express an opinion :-) about getting a plated bike for the PNW versus a non-plated bike? It seems crazy to have to trailer the bike and it seems limiting too -- but I'm not as familiar with all the places to ride trails and so am looking for anyone's thoughts on this.

Looking at a KTM 250 XCF which can't be plated in Oregon...and a Kawi KLX250S that can.
MotoFlicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #184
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoFlicka View Post
Exciting!

I know this is slightly off topic, but sounds like many are riding more dirt oriented bikes.

I'm in the market. Can anyone express an opinion :-) about getting a plated bike for the PNW versus a non-plated bike? It seems crazy to have to trailer the bike and it seems limiting too -- but I'm not as familiar with all the places to ride trails and so am looking for anyone's thoughts on this.

Looking at a KTM 250 XCF which can't be plated in Oregon...and a Kawi KLX250S that can.
I'm gonna chime in here as the husband of one who rides the KLX250S--Susi has had it for a couple of years--and who knows 4 other gals who have that bike. Get that bike. Period. Find an '06 or '07. Iffin you want to do the dual sport thing. Having and riding a dirt-only bike is a whole 'nother game; and if that's your thing then for sure look for a real dirt bike. But with this crowd you'll certainly get a lot more riding in with the KLX. It's a great, smaller DS bike that is relatively tame stock, but can be pepped up if one feels the need. And you can also ride it in an OHV area if you want.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #185
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,857
Put me on the fence

I have this ride on my calendar and another to go to a BMW ralley near me with my friend Maureen and her MotoGuizi. But... she also has a Sherpa . Has been threatening to sell it due to trouble finding people to ride with. If I can convince her to go, it would be sometime Friday afternoon to get there in a truck with trailer hauling bikes. Wondering how that would affect your camping plans?

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #186
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,373
Talking Photo's of what you have to look forward to!

All were taken in the last 3 days on pre runs.

Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #187
Crash Clay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoFlicka View Post
Exciting!

I vote for the KLX 250. I have one and I love it. There is no reason, IMO, these days to get a dirt bike that can't be plated. If you have to cover some distance, it will just take a little longer to get there.
Crash Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #188
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
i need to find a lady friend who rides soni can.go on this trip!! Those photos are such a tease. I want more.
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #189
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 148
Room for one more?

Hi gals, I've been lurking but now I think I want to go -- this sounds like fun! I was saving myself for the Beemer rally but the thought of Salem in July sounds kind of sticky. Got room for one more? I'm from Ideeho and I'm riding a KLR. I also have an XT250 but since I gotta cover the road miles to get there I think the KLR would be better. I'm pretty self-sufficient and can haul my own camp gear. If there's room I'd like to be on the maybe list. Cheers! -Lisa
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #190
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
i need to find a lady friend who rides soni can.go on this trip!! Those photos are such a tease. I want more.
You haven't been paying attention. Even if you are matrimonially connected to an attending female, you would not be allowed to attend--it's ladies only.

As Craig said, a few of us couples have been pre-running for both Day 1 and Day 2 rides. (Pre-ride planning and riding for a select few has not been gender exclusionary. ) I for one think both routes are spectacular, with a great mix of roads, 'roads' and scenery. If you have not ridden around Mt Hood, you will get for the first time a nice taste of the great riding we have here.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #191
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
As Craig said, a few of us couples have been pre-running for both Day 1 and Day 2 rides. (Pre-ride planning and riding for a select few has not been gender exclusionary. ) I for one think both routes are spectacular, with a great mix of roads, 'roads' and scenery. If you have not ridden around Mt Hood, you will get for the first time a nice taste of the great riding we have here.

Matt, I'm thinking of riding my wee, you've ridden with me in the HR area before during AJ and Shelly's 1st camp and ride. Do you think it's Weeable for me?
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #192
matloik
kludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2rydktms View Post
Matt, I'm thinking of riding my wee, you've ridden with me in the HR area before during AJ and Shelly's 1st camp and ride. Do you think it's Weeable for me?
Yes, you will be able to do it.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #193
Mustangshelly OP
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 458
Now this is

Quote:
Funny

You need to ride something big to keep yourself challenged. The rest of us pale in comparison in the moto riding abilities. Really excited to see you!
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #194
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGS View Post
Hi gals, I've been lurking but now I think I want to go -- this sounds like fun! I was saving myself for the Beemer rally but the thought of Salem in July sounds kind of sticky. Got room for one more? I'm from Ideeho and I'm riding a KLR. I also have an XT250 but since I gotta cover the road miles to get there I think the KLR would be better. I'm pretty self-sufficient and can haul my own camp gear. If there's room I'd like to be on the maybe list. Cheers! -Lisa
Quote:
The two of you need to meet! Lisa, Katie has spent a lot of time riding around McCall and Idaho. Maybe you both could hook up on the ride out, I think you would both enjoy meeting and riding out here to Hood River together...
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #195
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
The two of you need to meet! Lisa, Katie has spent a lot of time riding around McCall and Idaho. Maybe you both could hook up on the ride out, I think you would both enjoy meeting and riding out here to Hood River together...
In fact we are already in the planning stages as of this AM. Turns out it's a small world, we met Lisa a few years ago in Halfway OR. She, her Hubby and daughter-(riding two up) were out for a nice fall ride. We happened to meet at an eatery while having lunch. We were on our wees and had just come off Lookout Mountain into Halfway.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote