ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #286
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 164
My turn

Hi everyone, I guess I'll go next -- my name is Lisa. I/We have been TeamGS for a long time because we used to have GS bikes and basically you never saw one of us without the other!

But I'll back up, I have had a fascination with motorcycles for most of my adult life. Mostly enduro and MX, but I discovered the Yamaha XT in 1996 and it changed my style. I thought it was cute and fun! Rode the Black Dog DS around Mt. Hood that year and I was hooked on dirt bikes with plates. I lived in Oregon for many years (CO and Eugene) so we may find our paths have crossed in some form over the years. Met my husband at the Rat Dog DS one year and the rest was history... we now have a 10 yo daughter who has been brainwashed into thinking the world revolves around motorcycles, as you might expect. Unfortunately Dad manages a seasonal summer business without much support so he rarely gets out overnight, so you will usually find me riding around with my little pardner on the back. This is my first trip in a long time without her, and she will be missed! (But secretly I won't miss the extra 80 lbs this week!)

I've been living vicariously through this site, and I am thrilled to finally get to be riding with Katy and everyone that I have heard so much about. LittlePosum, love to hear your enthusiasm! It's catchy. Ladybug, can't wait to see your camp setup and how you fit it all on that DR! I marvel at your endurance. And MustangShelly, big thanks to putting this ride together. It finally got me out of lurking status to join in the fun. The ole mule KLR was inspected and serviced yesterday and is ready to put his pack bags on. Can't wait to meet you all in person!
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #287
BumpABump
DizDirtRider

Oddometer: 84
My History Of Riding In As Few Words As Possible

Well, good morning my fellow riding Buddies!! Here's a little history about my riding experience.

I've been riding for about 14 years. Most of the riding was on pavement until a few years ago when my husband and I bought a Honda Passport and a Yamaha Trail 90. We discovered all of the beautiful fire roads that the Mt Hood area has to offer. From there we went to larger motos. I've had my Honda 230L for a couple of years now. I am a timid rider, although as I mentioned before, those pot holes love me and I really do enjoy dodging them! I still enjoy the street riding and get to ride my husbands DR650 while he rides the BMW.

Anyway, lunch for me was going to be some yogurt and some fruit. However, the second day might be that Payday and fruit...that sounds gourmet to me!!

I also want to thank Mustangshelly for orchestrating this event. I know it's
not easy trying to field all of the questions, etc.

See you guys Friday morning! I look forward to sharing stories with all of you and maybe some adult beverages in the evening!

BumpABump screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 07:25 AM
BumpABump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #288
motokoneko
usually confused

Oddometer: 11
they actually make bikes to do this?

Hi, this is Mary. I'm a late comer to dual sporting, realized about 5 years ago as I was attempting to merge my love of the mountains and riding, bumping my '88 Honda NT650 up forest service roads that there seemed to be people doing this on 'special' bikes....I've currently put about 36K on my gs650 riding here and there, looking forward to hauling my 250KLX out for once - bought it on a lark, then really only rode it around town since I was traveling on the GS. Originally from Seattle, here in Portland for nursing school and have done very little riding in the last 1.5 years so I will be slow no doubt....I generally ride sola, looking forward to a group ride, thanks to all for putting this together. See you all Friday morning.
motokoneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #289
Mustangshelly OP
Adventurer...hardly

Oddometer: 509
I have to tell a little story about Staci, so you will realize just how enthusiastic she really is. Last October, in the wee hours of Saturday morning during our moto gathering, I got a message from Staci asking how to get to our place (mind you, this is about 1 a.m.). I told her we had a "situation" that involved an ambulance, but I had asked everyone to stay and she was welcome to show up if she still wanted. At about 9 a.m., Staci comes rolling in, looking frostbitten, because she had just zipped over Mt. Hood from Bend after getting directions from me at 1 a.m. I told her to hurry to catch the last group of riders heading out and she did. When she came back to camp that afternoon, she threw her sleeping bag down on the ground and slept out amongst the rest of the riders that were in tents. It was in the upper twenties overnight, and she didn't complain. We were all wondering who this crazy little chick was that showed up out of the blue.. That's my story of how we met Staci, the Energizer bunny.
Mustangshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #290
Scarlet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Scarlet's Introduction-AKA Angela

Ok, I will take a turn at this introduction stuff…I had never been on a motorcycle until I met my husband and we just celebrated our 11th Anniversary . My family was somewhat concerned because I can be somewhat accident prone and thought of me on a motorcycle was a little scary to everyone (I have had a few accidents, but nothing I haven’t recovered from ). I started on an OLD XR200 farm bike, and I have been hooked ever since. I rode dirt only until September of 2011 when I made the jump and did Team Oregon and got my endorsement. A few weeks after I completed Team Oregon I traveled to BMW in Tigard and ordered a brand new F650GS-“Scarlet” (thus my ADV handle-from my favorite Grateful Dead song). Since that time I have put over 12,000 miles on it and LOVE riding and camping off the bike. We just returned last weekend from an 8 day 1800 mile trip down the Oregon Coast and Northern California. For the ladies ride I will be taking my newest addition to my motorcycle family- a CRF250L- “Bertha” (another favorite Grateful Dead song). I have done all of my traveling on my bikes with my hubby and riding partner-so I am a little nervous to travel without him, but also pretty darn excited. I can not wait to hang with the ladies I already know and to get to know the ladies I don’t-one of my favorite things about riding is all the GREAT people I get to meet. I am counting down the time until Thursday afternoon. Thanks Shelly for putting this all together!!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #291
Isis_mgg
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Inroductions

My name is Maria, and you might not guess by my messages but I'm kinda shy. I have been riding on the back of motorcycles since I was a kid. First with uncles on the farm, then boyfriends in high school and 10 years with my husband. When he got a new bike in 2011 I said enough and Sept. 2011 I took the Team Oregon and got my endorsement. After much looking around for a bike short enough and light enough we got a Honda CRF 230M for me. Now I have gone over 3000 miles on it. I am a fair weather rider so every spring is like starting over, but by summer and fall I am riding like a pro. and here in year two I know just enough to be dangerous. I've even gone on some solo street rides, yikes! I do pretty good on the road but I love the dirt, I can go slower, there are bumps and "obstacles" , pretty things to look at and take pictures of and best of all not very many cagers! I am excited to be riding with all the ladies, sometimes riding with the boys I get into trouble trying to keep up I'm pretty set up with the bike with farkles and bags but I haven't done any bike overnights. This will be great, I'm stoked.

Thanks Mustangshelly, the courier service, all the other helpers, scouts and ride leaders for putting this on. It's gonna be Epic
Isis_mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #292
MotoFlicka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
It's gonna be Epic
I'm with Maria -- looking forward to a great experience!

Rode 2-up with boyz for too long; the one I finally asked to teach me to ride said, "no no, you can't, you're too...(fill in the blank)" so after we split I took Team Oregon and 2 nights later bought my '07 F650GS from the most awesome, inspiring female FF who ended up being his old GF, who apparently got HIM into bikes. Good story.

Been riding 1+ year and just yesterday bought a '03 KTM 450EXC so I can learn to ride a little more dirt than my heavier steed. Did a little bit of time with PSSOR ADV camps but basically noob.

Thanks so much for putting this out there and letting folks like me join and learn. Great way to pass along the fun and faith.

See you Thursday nite with bells on, eyes wide, and ears open !

-motoflicka
MotoFlicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #293
BumpABump
DizDirtRider

Oddometer: 84
Attire

Hey...you know it wouldn't be a true ladies ride if someone didn't ask:

What are you wearing???

I just don't want to give our courier a hernia!!!

PS...I mean like summer jackets, etc.
BumpABump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #294
TeamGS
Adventure-seeking family

Oddometer: 164
COLD mornings

Bring something warm! I just noticed this week that fall temps are starting to creep in with the days getting a little shorter. That brings up another question -- do you Hoodies have any restrictions on camp fires yet?? Will we be able to have a fire at night?
TeamGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #295
bettyboarder
n00b

Oddometer: 5
my name is Nicole.....bettyboarder came from my love of snowboarding. We used to call girls "bettys" and added boarder and been using it since.

I have had a few bikes in the past. I started with a street bike (which I miss a ton), then switched to a ktm 85, just bought a 07 yamaha xt225. My hubby doesn't ride and my riding buddy moved last year so haven't been riding much.

We have a 2 year old so I am so excited to get a weekend away from Elmo.

Thanks for setting this up look forward to meeting some new biking buddies
bettyboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #296
leenpockets
Best Girlfriend Ever

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePosum View Post
Hi, it would be fun to ride up there with you, but I'll be leaving Bend early in the morning on Thursday. If Lo-N-Slo makes it to this ride we'll be going back on Sunday together and you should join us! But maybe it will just be you and me? Who knows?

What is your departure time looking like for Thursday? I'd like to join up when you pass through. (I'm in RDM.) The only issue is prep time. Getting it all ready to go. Lol. Life, right?! Busy busy week for this lady! I'll send you my number and we can call/text to figure something out. And Sunday would be nice to have someone to head back with.

Ok! I'm Kathleen. Leenpockets. Old nickname from home that stuck when I moved to Oregon and made a pretty good handle in several places. Not really sure how it came about, but I do know it's a play off LeanPockets (the freezer things) cause I'm really into food. Hahaha. That being said, I love to cook good food and eat good food. I'm a little more picky than you would imagine after hearing that... Anyway.

I grew up going to the desert to ride with my family every weekend. We had quads and ATV 3wheelers. Girls weren't allowed to ride motorcycles. Lame, but I was terrified anyway so I didn't care much.

Fast forward to the beginning of 2011 and the move to OR. Met an amazing man, my Loveryboy (PetrolBurner here), and fed off his love for adrenaline. Two weeks into dating, I came home from a CA trip to a Honda XR200 as a surprise from him. (Think he likes me??!) So we started hitting the trails around here. I tend to hit them harder than he does since he can manage to keep the bike upright. I love all the adventures we've gone on. I'm nowhere near his skill level, and I'm happy to putt behind at my own pace most of the time. I'm now Endorsed, bought a DR200, and I'm THRILLED to be headed out for the first time with some like minded (and equally, er, talented.... ?) ladies without him. I'm still terrified of getting hurt, riding off a cliff, or something equally horrible. I'm much happier to stick to easy (read: flat) ground but willing to challenge myself. We used to 2up moto camp, so I've learned to travel light. Now I just need to figure out what to pack!!!!

Can't wait to see everyone in just a couple days!!!! EEEEP! Thank you, Shelly, for being such a moto mastermind with this trip!!!
leenpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #297
Mustangshelly OP
Adventurer...hardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpABump View Post
Hey...you know it wouldn't be a true ladies ride if someone didn't ask:

What are you wearing???

I just don't want to give our courier a hernia!!!

PS...I mean like summer jackets, etc.
Actually it's a good question. Tygh Valley, as you know is HOT, HOT, HOT! It looks like we will be arriving in Tygh Valley to low 90s, with it cooling off nicely into the 50s at night. Timothy Lake is another story by Saturday's ride. Low 70s by day and down in the 40s at night. To answer your question, I will be wearing mesh for the rides, but I will throw something warm into the trailer for the nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGS View Post
Bring something warm! I just noticed this week that fall temps are starting to creep in with the days getting a little shorter. That brings up another question -- do you Hoodies have any restrictions on camp fires yet?? Will we be able to have a fire at night?
One of the reasons I didn't want to camp two nights at Tygh Valley is that they are under a burn ban during the summer months and damn it, I want to have a campfire In the campground at Timothy Lake we should be able to have a fire. The temps will be perfect for it, whereas in Tygh Valley, it likely won't cool off until the wee hours of the morning, and let me tell ya', a campfire on a hot night isn't much fun.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #298
Mustangshelly OP
Adventurer...hardly

Kathleen, I loaded up my DR200 last year and headed off to Hell's Canyon with Jeff. It can hold an amazing amount of gear for such a little bike (just ask Ladybug, who travels all over on hers). We rolled through a weigh station by LaGrande to find that all loaded down I was at 500 lbs. . Jeff on his 990 with moto-mule trailer was at 950. Don't be afraid to strap a few luxuries onto it to haul up here, then you can toss them into the trailer and have them show up at camp. Do you have any Rok Straps? If not, get you some and strap everything on the back and take off. Rok Straps are the shit
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #299
Mustangshelly OP
Adventurer...hardly

Thursday??

Who all is arriving Thursday? For those who are not picky eaters, I will throw something on the grill for dinner Thursday night. If you are a picky eater, then bring your own!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #300
Scarlet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Dinner Thursday-NOT PICKY!!

Hey Shelly-

Nat and I will be arriving Thursday evening. We are planning on leaving Bend around 3ish...We can plan to bring a side dish to go with something on the grill if you want. Not getting much work done this week-ready to RIDE!!