Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #31
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Now, after they fall, you get to mention it a second time...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #32
mhevezi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I do the opposite- I wear $700 riding pants and a jean jacket!

But seriously folks, I did the 501 thing for years and had a couple of spills without serious injury, but last year I started a collection of kevlar-reinforced jeans. Not as good as fully-armored riding pants, but a step in the right direction.

I do my own thing, but prefer to ride with those that ride safely, and wear safe gear. Been on the side of the road more than a few times, helping a buddy. All I can do is worry about myself.

I do really like my Shift Torque jeans though. They are no longer made, so if you can grab a pair, go for it.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
They're not going to do much for you in an accident.
Fixt.

I had a slow speed get off once in 501s and they did protect me but, no, I don't believe they'd hold up very well in a "real" getoff.

duck screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 11:37 AM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I bought one of these on closeout at NewEnough. Denim with CE shoulders and elbows (and a cheesy spine pad) for summer riding. At least it provides some impact protection.

Quasi-GATT!
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
hobbit123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
You have gloves with padded palms?
Yes. Held Air n Dry. I'm sure lots of other high quality gloves have padding in the lower palm.
hobbit123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #36
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
You have gloves with padded palms?
Sure do and I only wear gauntlet length gloves to hopefully cover the area between the sleeve and the glove.
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #37
drvslow
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Usually when someone in the basic rider class is talking about how stupid it is to wear all this stuff- I let them read Britany's story. I have never had this serious of an injury- but after reading I ride with all the gear. After the part about skin grafts and anti-biotics and loosing body parts. Changed my philosophy-

http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php...oadrash_queen/

For the most part - we still live in a free country- ride with what you want!
drvslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
monkey wrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvslow View Post
Usually when someone in the basic rider class is talking about how stupid it is to wear all this stuff- I let them read Britany's story. I have never had this serious of an injury- but after reading I ride with all the gear. After the part about skin grafts and anti-biotics and loosing body parts. Changed my philosophy-

http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php...oadrash_queen/

For the most part - we still live in a free country- ride with what you want!
i had never seen that article. dang! i usualy wear my "stitch" when i ride but not always. its time for some kevlar jeans. thanks.
monkey wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
I tangled with a Honda Accord wearing a $300 leather jacket, $500 helmet, $200 gloves, $350 boots and a $50 pair of Levi jeans.

Guess which part of my body got the road rash?

At the time, my job allowed me to wear jeans so I did. The accident happened on my lunch break as I was out putting around town. Trust me, I wear armored overpants to work now. I do wear kevlar lined jeans with knee armor worn on my body occasionally though.

You better believe I got that $50 line item for jeans on my insurance claim though!
++++++1, similar experience.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschuyler View Post
I ride with people who go out of their way to buy $500 jacket with armor, thick cordura, heavy duty zippers, and then wear Levis 501 jeans while riding, makes no sense to me.

Your thoughts?
Makes no sense to me either. Btw, your legs are most likely to be injured in an accident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #41
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Guilty
Ive been looking at riding pants , this thread is making me speed up the process
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #42
TEWSTER2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I wear spandex tights and cote them with motor oil. When I fall down and buss my noggin I just slide to a stop
TEWSTER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #43
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
I wear less protective gear the older I get and the calmer I ride. Neotec helmet, unlined leather gloves (dirt bike gloves in the summer), leather jacket with light padding, jeans and cowboy boots or motorcycle sneakers.

I used to do the full bit and I still do if going mountain riding or on multi-day rides.

Day trips? Nah.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #44
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I wear gear more often than not anymore for riding. I always wear a jacket with armor, a good full-face helmet, stiff over-the-ankle boots, and good protective gloves. I've recently started wearing riding pants and I really like them (Klim Dakar or Tourmaster Venture). The Klims are more comfortable, but the Tourmasters have better armor and are warmer. I also got a pair of some Gaerne riding boots and really like them. Yeah it all takes a few minutes to put on, but if it helps in a crash, then it was worth it.

But I'm not going to lie...the riding boots and pants are recent additions. I never used to wear them...used to just wear jeans and regular boots. I still do now and then, but I'll generally take the time to put the extra stuff on.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #45
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,121
I'm riding 49 years now. Only started wearing real armored and padded riding pants about 8 years ago.

Took a spill in Sept. at about 55 on an asphalt road that had been graveled (tar and chip).

Shredded my Joe Rocket CF armored gloves (knuckles and palm), my Belstaff cordura jacket (back and elbows), and my armored and padded Joe Rocket cordura riding pants (thighs and knees). None of them shredded to the point of exposing skin, although I did get friction burns and skin loss to my knees inside the pants. No picking gravel and dirt out, at least. I think the knee armor saved my kneecaps. My Arai helmet also hit the ground when I rolled over and over, and had a few little chunks missing, and scraped up the face shield. My Alpinestar boots got scraped, but are still usable.

Dislocated finger, skinned knees, various sprains, etc., but nothing too serious. The phone in my front pocket hitting the ground gave me a dead leg and felt like someone punched me there, hard. Huge black and blue mark and took about a week before I could lift my leg to go up a curb without pain, forget about stairs. I think I got away lucky. The guy in front of me who went down first broke his leg unfortunately.

So all new gear and helmet, and guess what, now I'm a believer (to the tune of the Monkey's song).

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote