User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
adkfreeridex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
GPR Damper F800GS

I've read about every thread on dampers for the F8, but I cannot find much info on the GPR. Does anyone have experience with this model? It looks simple to adjust the settings.

A month ago I went down on the highway going 75 mph. I don't remember what happened, but all the witnesses said I just got wobbly out of the blue and went down. I'm going through the bike and trying to eliminate anything that will cause a wobble. I'm having Woodys build be a new wheel, upgrading the suspension, going form TKC 80 front to K60, checking head bearings, and I want to buy a stabilizer/damper.

I really need it to perform on the pavement, but will welcome the advantages in dirt. Most of the info on the Scotts and RM2 are dirt related. The BMW tech who did my estimate said I should look into GPR, but like I said, not much info. I'm indecisive and welcome your input for street/highway performance.

Thanks,
Bobby
adkfreeridex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
BlauZahn
n00b

Oddometer: 8
GPR on 2013 F800GS

I've have had the GPR on my 2013 f800gs for over a year. Do mostly hiway, some gravel, fire roads, dirt. Don't notice it until it's needed. I think it helps in side winds and big truck buffeting. Turn it up to #6-7 for deep gravel. Installation is easy, even for an non-mechanic like me. The only modification of the bike for installation is the screw holes that hold the key ring cover in place. The screw holes have to be notched out (dremel or knife) on the plastic key ring holder in order to tighten things down properly (no big deal). The GPR does raise the handlebars, which was needed for me anyway. I have also installed a Touratech lockable frame for the Garmin Zumo 590LM. The Touratech frame replaces the 4 handlebar screws with proprietary screws. The proprietary screws supplied by Touratech are the correct length and thread for the GPR unit. Below are pics 1) before Touratech Zumo mount 2) with Zumo mount. The Touratech mount does not get in the way of the GPR control dial.
Attached Images

BlauZahn screwed with this post 03-28-2015 at 02:26 PM
BlauZahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
BlauZahn
n00b

Oddometer: 8
GPR on 2013 F800GS - Touratech Zumo frame attached

Touratech Zumo frame attached to GPR handlebar riser
Attached Images

BlauZahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
I have had mine since 2011. The 2 security screws that hold the ignition switch in place need to be removed for the installation of the stationary lug. I used a small pair of vice grips.

Also the 2 plastic lugs either side of the ignition switch that are part of the black centre section of the faux tank need to be slotted. The added advantage in doing this is it is easier to access the battery. You only need to loosen these screws a couple of turns and not remove them completely.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 476
Run a GPR on my racebike, ZX-10R. Great quality and good resale if you ever want to sale it off the bike.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,925
I have one on mine, along with Ohlins suspension front and rear. On highway I run it at 1, I ride a lot of tight twisty stuff and it is noticeable if I crank it up, bike feels "heavier. I do do some dirt roads and some pretty loose stuff. It does make the front end feel much more planted and controllable at speed in those conditions at about 5-7.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I have a GPR damper on my 800GS. I recently put 40,000+ miles on it over 14 months of traveling around Central/South America. It works great and likely saved me a few times. Still have it on with no problems/leaks.

Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
adkfreeridex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
thanks guys! i think I will get one. solomotoparts has them for 495. does anyone have experience with this vendor?
adkfreeridex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 AM   #9
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
I've ordered from them with no issues before. FYI Scott's also makes a dirt and street version so you're not limited to GPR - realistically either dirt or street model would have likely helped in your crash. Never heard anything bad about either model.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:08 AM   #10
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkfreeridex View Post
thanks guys! i think I will get one. solomotoparts has them for 495. does anyone have experience with this vendor?
I got my GPR through solomotoparts. Look around for some online coupon codes. I think I got 10% off last time I ordered.
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote