User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Carrying/Drying Wood on engine?

I was thinking of putting my bashplate toolbox up for sale as now that I no longer use snow chains, I don't really need it. It occurred to me, however, that I might be able to carry small amounts of firewood in this. Not only that, but hopefully, the heat from the engine would dry it out, even if it was wet wood found on the floor.

I live in Wales and it rains a lot here. Consequently, I not only carry some cotton wool and vaseline fire starters, but also small amounts of kindling with me, as finding anything suitable trail side is a gamble in our weather. The problem is, even with this, it's often possible to burn through all your kindling, before you get up enough heat to dry the wood you've found. I know putting a load of light scrub in the middle of summer in Oz is asking for trouble. I'm talking about putting largish chunks of dead wood you find on the ground, soaked right through, maybe half hour before you stop to make camp.

So, has anyone done this before and what were the results?

PS, yes, I know about splitting wood to get to the dry stuff; just wondering about this as an alternative.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
you will not dry a chunk of saturated wood in a half hour, sure, the surface will be dry, for the rest of the chunk, think more like a half a year
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,139
I would tend to think that half an hour would not be sufficient to effect any significant drying. Even kiln drying sawn lumber takes days or even weeks. However, what would it hurt to try it around home when your survival or even just your comfort doesn't depend on getting a fire started quickly? The next time you're just going for a ride, strap on a chunk of wet wood and see how much drying has taken place when you're done with the ride.

"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramiriez, otherwise known as "The Rat."
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky View Post
I would tend to think that half an hour would not be sufficient to effect any significant drying. Even kiln drying sawn lumber takes days or even weeks. However, what would it hurt to try it around home when your survival or even just your comfort doesn't depend on getting a fire started quickly? The next time you're just going for a ride, strap on a chunk of wet wood and see how much drying has taken place when you're done with the ride.
Yes, I'll give this a go. From the sounds of it, it won't be spontaneously igniting and torching my bike.

RE: Drying wood taking days/weeks; are you talking freshly cut wood being weathered/aged so it'll burn without smoking too much? I know I wouldn't be able to dry wood I cut on the bike. I'm talking more wood than would already be okay to be burnt, had it not been rained on recently.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
The "WTF?" thread is in the basement.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
I would think that carrying a small hatchet/camp ax in the toolbox/bash plate would be better? Thus, splitting the roadside rained-on wood to get to the dry center part would be optimal. A folding saw and a plastic splitting wedge might be an easy addition to the kit. And lopping off any wet bark would cut down on some of the smoke. Granted, carrying some kindling and accelerant with the hatchet would optimize the chances of getting something started too.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
what the heck is a bashplate toolbox . is this something on a motorcycle? do you use snow chains on a bike?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Ceri JC OP
UK GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
The "WTF?" thread is in the basement.
Can't find it? I checked the "Seen any really stupid/fucked up things lately?" thread...

I think people have been very gentle in their responses; it was a serious question, but nonetheless, I had expected a far worse jibing:useful responses ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
what the heck is a bashplate toolbox

A smallish toolbox that mounts to the bashplate. They're popular on rally bikes, usually for carrying tools.

Quote:
is this something on a motorcycle?
Yes, a bashplate is a formed piece of material, often metal, on the underneath of a bike to prevent damage to the sump (underside of the engine) when bottoming it out when riding offroad over rocks/logs.

Quote:
do you use snow chains on a bike?
Not any more. I used to trail ride on my own F8 irregularly enough that I had sports touring tyres on a lot of the time. Snow chains worked well with these and the main reason I had the bashplate toolbox was to carry snow chains as:
A) The weight was low down and centralised, so I didn't notice it at all.
B) Given the use of chains, it didn't matter if they got messy/wet (the main disadvantage of a bash plate tool box)
These days, it constantly has knobblies on, which don't work well with snow chains, hence my not carrying chains/needing the toolbox any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
I would think that carrying a small hatchet/camp ax in the toolbox/bash plate would be better? Thus, splitting the roadside rained-on wood to get to the dry center part would be optimal. A folding saw and a plastic splitting wedge might be an easy addition to the kit. And lopping off any wet bark would cut down on some of the smoke. Granted, carrying some kindling and accelerant with the hatchet would optimize the chances of getting something started too.
I think that's probably the 'sensible' answer to the problem. I like folding saws and have used them in the past. I tend to not carry one on the bike as up until now, I've made do with either the saw blade on my glock shovel, or my Leatherman's. I used to use metal splitting wedges with good success, but not off the bike (as I didn't want the weight penalty). I must admit, I had no idea plastic splitting wedges existed. That sounds like it's worth investigating. Are they strong enough you can get away with using a rock, as opposed to mallet to drive them in? I must admit, I'm a bit paranoid about using hatchets/axes when riding solo/remote; I've seen first hand lots of injuries with them, compared to saws, often not relating to misuse.

FWIW, intended use of this is going to be for wood in a Kifaru stove (so relatively small in diameter; not massive chunks)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
If this wood is coming from planet earth, radiant heat from the engine isn't going to do anything to dry it out in anything approaching a reasonable amount of time.

You'd probably be better off holding chunks of wood above your head in your left hand in air stream while you ride your bike around at top speed... I don't recommend doing this.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
If this wood is coming from planet earth, radiant heat from the engine isn't going to do anything to dry it out in anything approaching a reasonable amount of time.

You'd probably be better off holding chunks of wood above your head in your left hand in air stream while you ride your bike around at top speed... I don't recommend doing this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't wet wood, exposed to heat, tend to generate smoke? Those flashing lights in your mirror might be a fire truck wanting you to pull over.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Fuel Pellets

Hey Ceri JC,

I've never had this problem, as Ontario isn't as wet as Wales, and has extensive forests.

I can easily find dead branches of all sizes that are years old, bone dry, still on the tree.

We are also blessed w/ birch bark, which is plentiful, and an excellent tinder.

I would suggest looking into fuel pellets.

(Wood ones, not uranium ones, unless it gets really, really cold.)

http://www.wdpellet.com/what_are_wood_pellets.php

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't wet wood, exposed to heat, tend to generate smoke? Those flashing lights in your mirror might be a fire truck wanting you to pull over.

Dry wood exposed to heat generates smoke too!
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
I say try it, or you will never know and always wonder......
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post

wet wood generates steam that mixes with the smoke from the burning dry wood
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #15
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,936
Look for some of this stuff.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MGR-826

I've used it to get a fire going on a kayak trip in the winter along a river. The wood was wet but wasn't "soaked" thru.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote