Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
for $7000 you can buy a drz400s, or a husky tr650, or a dr650, ect

$9800 is a bit much
Rusty Shovel said he wants fuel injection and something that weighs less than a DR650, which he has previously owned. That axes all your suggestions.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shovel View Post
I want an FI bike with a little more power than a WR250R.

Today my dealer called and offered to convert a 2013 WR450F (with a Baja Designs kit) and sell it with a Texas STREET title. It would cost $9800.

That puts it up there with the 690 Enduro and the 500 EXC.

Should I settle for the $6600 250? Or drop the hammer on a middle bore bad boy?

The dealer said the WR250F, if ridden as a dual sport, would have the same service intervals as the WR250R; is he smoking crack?

Would the street legal WR450F be more reliable/long-lived than the KTM's?

I don't plan to ride for more than an hour at a time on the interstate. Interstate isn't my priority, but in Texas, it's unavoidable. I also spend a lot of time in Maine during the summer--so there will be logging roads, two-track, and single track. I don't have any multi-day trips planned, but I'd like the capability.

I weigh 230#'s.

Thanks for any insight you can provide...this one's been driving me nuts!

If you're going to spend $9800 buy a 690 Enduro, don't be afraid to call around to a dealers all over the country. Somewhere one of them has a 690 and wants to move it off the showroom floor. People have gotten new 690's for as low as $9,300 OTD but 9,500-9,700 is much more common.

The 500EXC is a race bike and any race bike will require bigger and more frequent maintenance (a piston every 100-200 hours is not uncommon). Top-ends will wear out sooner then those on a dual sport.

I'd say get a 690 Enduro based on your usage, but I'm biased. It makes power (62hp, or 66 for 2012+), and most importantly is light (317 lbs with fuel). 10,000 km/6,200ish mile service intervals.

If you want something cheaper, but heavier, less powerful, and less suspension I'd look at a Husky 650 Terra ($7,000)

Not many dirt bikes/dual sports that can do dirt easily are fuel injected though. I'd still go for the 690 if you have the money. Consider a used bike.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I've been searching for a replacement for my WR250X, which I foolishly sold last year. Like you, I wished for a tad more grunt.

After looking high and low for another WR and coming up short (I was hoping for one with power mods already in place), I pulled the trigger on a BMW Xmoto. I'm only into it a few trips, but I'm thrilled with the extra oomph. The extra weight doesn't seem to bother, of course I'm not doing single track on it.

All that to say, you might consider a used xchallenge. They're so cheap right now, and seem easier to find than the WR250s.

Good luck dude.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
From my research what's wrong with a husky te449/511/310? There a little more $$$ then a tr650 but lighter and better off road. Correct me if I am wrong but I am to pull the trigger on a husky also and I weight about the same has the OP which is 230lbs. Will a wr250r be enough power for our large bodied...bodies
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
gasgasman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
THE 250R WILL DO YOU JUST FINE AND FOR POWER UPGRADES
1. POWER COMMANDER V WITH AUTOTUNE WILL PROBABLY GIVE YOU THE BIGGEST POWER BOOST.
THEN ADD BIGBORE OR STROKER KIT
I HAVE BIGBORE / STROKER KIT =306cc
STARTED WITH FMF PROGRAMMER UPGRADED TO PC V AND THE INCREASE IN POWER/RIDE ABILTY WAS AGAIN THAT OF THE BB/STROKER
AND IS SMOOTH AT70MPH WITH 60 + mpg.
my 2 cents
gasgasman
gasgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
OP Here.

Sportsguy, You're right--the 690 is closer to 11K, but once you're up to 9.8k, what's the difference? Uhm, please don't respond with math. I hear what you're saying about road legal dirt bikes.
Not to worry, Rusty. ;) I was legitimately concenred I missed some stunning deal on 690's when I bought mine... ;) LOL

Totally agree - when you're in for 9800 clams, a few more oysters ain't a deal breaker... (IMO) ;)

Best of luck with the hunt!
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Aargg! I'm back to the 500EXC! I love that bike, but I'm concerned about its longevity. Even the guy at the shop said he would never use it for interstate travel. He said it would wear out the engine and I would be replacing the pistons within a 100 hours.

Dang! The EXC seems perfect otherwise.
My KTM 530 EXC I sold a while back had 450 hours on it when it left - motor had never been any further apart than valve checks and a few shims.

Burned no oil and still had OK leak down numbers, more off road than on road use as well. Not my choice for running down the highway at 100 km/h but I would not be afraid of racking up the mileage on one.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #23
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
From my research what's wrong with a husky te449/511/310? There a little more $$$ then a tr650 but lighter and better off road. Correct me if I am wrong but I am to pull the trigger on a husky also and I weight about the same has the OP which is 230lbs. Will a wr250r be enough power for our large bodied...bodies
As to the 310, the trans is waaaaaay too narrow for DS/ADV duty. It is brilliant on single track, but just isn't versatile.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #24
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,098
Whether a close ration transmission works really depends on your own definition of dual sport rather than such a broad generalization about it not being versatile enough. My MXC has a very close ratio transmission. Yet it works just fine for my kind of dual sport duty. I wouldn't want to drone down the freeway at 75 mph on it. I have the 640 for that. But it handles backroads and especially city duty just fine. So far I haven't killed it by riding highways with it pinned and it is a two stroke. Plus it works better offroad.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Whether a close ration transmission works really depends on your own definition of dual sport rather than such a broad generalization about it not being versatile enough. My MXC has a very close ratio transmission. Yet it works just fine for my kind of dual sport duty. I wouldn't want to drone down the freeway at 75 mph on it. I have the 640 for that. But it handles backroads and especially city duty just fine. So far I haven't killed it by riding highways with it pinned and it is a two stroke. Plus it works better offroad.
Fair enough, I get impatient if I can't get up to 60-65ish on the long connecting sections. The way trails are out here you have to be geared pretty low to make it up some of the technical hill climbs, but then you are topping out around 45-50mph on the roads. Those connections can be up to 20 miles, so wringing the bike's guts out for that long is not very enjoyable, neither is riding on a road for damn near an hour at 35mph. Though I can understand how things could be totally different in MD and the bike would work well.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #26
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
OP Here.

Sportsguy, You're right--the 690 is closer to 11K, but once you're up to 9.8k, what's the difference? Uhm, please don't respond with math. I hear what you're saying about road legal dirt bikes.

ZX, thanks for your suggestions. I looked at the Husqvarna. The problem I'm having is that I really don't want THAT much more than a WR250R. I'd just like some more grunt on bottom and a little more leeway at freeway speeds.

I've already owned a DR 650 and I never want to ride a bike that heavy again.

If I want a little more than the WRR, I'm forced into another class altogether--in price, performance, and maintenance schedules.

It's frustrating, but I'll probably pull the trigger on the WR250R this Saturday. I hate feeling like I'm settling for something less than I want. I just don't see a good middle option.

C'mon Yamaha!
Sometimes, less is more....
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Rusty Shovel OP
Banned

Oddometer: 67
Settled!

I went down to the Yamaha dealer today, intent on plunking my downpayment and buying my WR250R.

I sat on the bike in the show room....then I sighed.

Yes, I **sighed**

Like a gay.

I apologized to the dealer and left with my cash in hand.

Life's too short; I'm ordering my KTM 500EXC tomorrow morning. I'll post pics when it arrives.
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
zxrider11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Hard to get excited about 21hp
zxrider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,165
Sigh no more.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=Husaberg
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
I went down to the Yamaha dealer today, intent on plunking my downpayment and buying my WR250R.

I sat on the bike in the show room....then I sighed.

Yes, I **sighed**

Like a gay.

I apologized to the dealer and left with my cash in hand.

Life's too short; I'm ordering my KTM 500EXC tomorrow morning. I'll post pics when it arrives.
Smart man. Follow your heart/passion...you should own the bike that makes you look at it with lust, and want to ride it
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote