Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #31
avgas
amateur

Oddometer: 81
I own a wr250r, and although I really enjoy it I think you're making the right choice. It's the perfect bike for some people, but a bit boring for others.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #32
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,229
the dr650 was too heavy
if it was me, i'd get the wr250
lose 20-30lbs & feel the power increase with each pound of weight loss
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #33
Rusty Shovel OP
Banned

Oddometer: 67
The rest of the story...

Hey all,

After an epic round of hand-wringing, I finally landed on a WR250R. I went to the KTM dealer, again with cash in hand, and the KTM salesman talked me out of the sale. "These are race bikes," he said.

I don't really agree that I couldn't ride the 690 for my intended purposes, but the guy's arrogance really turned me off--as if I wasn't worthy to ride a KTM because I'm not sponsored by Red Bull.

I liked the guys at the Yamaha dealer, and in the end, that made the difference. I've since paid another $1000 on pipes and programmers and the result has been satisfactory, for now. I'm not beating my chest over the power, but I'm not tearing my hair out either.

I just rode the East Texas 500 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881555)

and the power was sufficient. Truthfully, though, when loaded down with gear (and my bulk), I wish I had another 10 ponies. When I'm not carrying the extra adventure gear the bike has more than enough power (about 95% of the time). If a middle bore bike doesn't come out in the next couple years, I'll likely throw on a bore kit.

Why does no one make a decent middle bore bike for 'regular' folk? I would buy it tomorrow!
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #34
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Shovel View Post
Why does no one make a decent middle bore bike for 'regular' folk? I would buy it tomorrow!
Because they're idiots.

Find a good deal on a used '02-present DR-Z400S. Put a decent seat on it and strip off some weight. Throw in a wide-ratio gearset and then pimp out the motor and suspension. It'll have more power and gearspread than the DR650SE, with similar weight and suspension to the WR250R. If you shop carefully, you could probably do this for about the cost of the new WRR.

Fuel injection isn't really needed to have a fun and capable moto. Ecotrons could probably hook you up if you disagree.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,183
Quote:
that's the 10 million dollar question ALL of us have been asking?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #36
CuzinMike
Treedragger

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
I could be mistaken, but I'd imagine a lot of it has to do with tiered motorcycle licensing in a lot of countries. Considering dual sports are the smallest segment in the industry, I doubt any of the big four can envision much profit in developing a midsize DS that could only be sold to an even more limited segment of an already miniscule market. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!

CuzinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #37
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Even the guy at the shop said he would never use it for interstate travel. He said it would wear out the engine and I would be replacing the pistons within a 100 hours.
horse crap.

you gotta be careful about listening to "guys at the shop".

my plated 2009 450 xc-w has 250+ hours on it including highway miles/hours (and hare scrambles). still on the original piston and still running strong. and, get this...i have yet to even have to adjust the valves.

with the 6 speed, wide ratio tranny, it isn't even working all that hard on the highway--it just cruises along. hare scrambles are much harder on it.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #38
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Because they're idiots.

Find a good deal on a used '02-present DR-Z400S. Put a decent seat on it and strip off some weight. Throw in a wide-ratio gearset and then pimp out the motor and suspension. It'll have more power and gearspread than the DR650SE, with similar weight and suspension to the WR250R. If you shop carefully, you could probably do this for about the cost of the new WRR.

Fuel injection isn't really needed to have a fun and capable moto. Ecotrons could probably hook you up if you disagree.
This is the route i have gone. I pulled the trigger on my DRZ in 09, citing that the WR just wasnt enough power, and now 4 years later, short of the KTM 500, the market hasnt changed. Buy what you percieve to be the best now because what you are looking for isnt on the horizion for any of "the big 4"

Congrats on the new bike!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,146
Quote:
I just don't see a good middle option.

C'mon Yamaha!
If Yamaha came out with a WR450R dualsport that had long maint. intervals and a wide-ratio 6-spd. like their 250, and priced it reasonably, it'd be a huge hit. "Huge" being a relative term, of course. Dualsport sales numbers are low enough that I doubt we'll see Yamaha (or anybody else, for that matter) produce the bike many of us want anytime soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post
what you are looking for isnt on the horizion for any of "the big 4"
Sad but true.

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #40
mknj671
n00b

Oddometer: 5
The KTM 500 is hands down one the best dual sport bikes ever built, pending you are 95% dirt and 5% pavement. Anything over 10 miles of pavement riding takes its toll on me even with the wheels balanced, the seat is is not comfortable, it vibrates a good bit especially at higher RPMS (60-70MPH) and if you are running aggressive DOT knobbies the bike wanders a bit.

It performs perfectly in the dirt and even at double the cost of a DRZ400 it is worth every penny IMO - just not a good choice for adventure riding with long pavement stints.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #41
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
pending you are 95% dirt and 5% pavement.
That's a plated dirtbike, not a dualsport.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #42
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzinMike View Post
I could be mistaken, but I'd imagine a lot of it has to do with tiered motorcycle licensing in a lot of countries. Considering dual sports are the smallest segment in the industry, I doubt any of the big four can envision much profit in developing a midsize DS that could only be sold to an even more limited segment of an already miniscule market. I'd love to be proven wrong, though!
yes you are correct? a 250 is the big bike in much of the world, thus bikes the the CRF250L are a world-wide bike & why no one is jumping on a modern 450 dual-sport segment. the drz400 is a legacy bike that still passes emissions, though Suzuki could have at least tried a little bit and upgrade the 5spd transmission ratios. since this is still such a small niche market expect only players like KTM to produce something like a 390 ADV/Traveler bike. I expect the big 4 Japanese to stick with the 250 & 650 class only for the time being. 450 is too much overlap for their sales methodology.

eakins screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 12:31 PM
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,084
Get a big bore kit for the wr250.
And having less power makes you a better rider, if you want to go fast, you have to work at it, not just twist the throttle.

If I was racing for money and titles, maybe I would want the worlds best bike, but I just want to have fun, and for me that is getting the most out of a not so great bike.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #44
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
That's a plated dirtbike, not a dualsport.
correct. alot of people confuse terms but there is also fuzzy ground between those 2 terms. dual-sports are factory street legal bikes with all the equipment, restrictions & added weight. DS are designed to be ridden as much street time as you want not just enough to connect the next dirt road.

with low volume sales KTM is able to sqeak their dirtbikes by with just enough equipment to make them tagable on some models or their MSO sheet is written that others can easily be converted to a tag. The Japanese do not have this exception/luxury. the 500 KTM is a platted dirtbike, where as the 690 KTM is a DS. Husky has many models that are in this fuzzy area too. The smaller ones are really just platted dirt bikes with narrow-ratio transmissions, while the wide ratio 610/630/650 are true DS.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #45
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,014
different people obviously have different definitions of "dual sport". some people call plated dirt bikes "dual sports". some people call street bikes that can barely handle dirt roads "dual sports".

in any case, i don't see how one can exclude the 450exc/500exc/etc. from "dual sport". they are street legal from the factory. they have wide ratio, 6 speed trannys and will cruise at highway speeds down low in the RPM range (with stock gearing, mine would do 70 comfortably in 5th gear--with another gear left which would get it comfortably up well over 90). they are, imho, quite fun to do 300 mile road days on--obviously, that is a matter of opinion, but i suspect many, though not all, of those who say they suck on the road have never actually ridden them on the road.

personally, i don't even have a problem with the stock seat for long road trips if i wear padded bicycle shorts. others hate the seat, but it can be replaced anyway. of course, people complain about the DRZ stock seat as well which, to me, feels like a couch cushion.

my plated 450xc-w does not scream or buzz on the highway as much as my DRZ (which is quite clearly a "dual sport"). and, unlike my DRZ, it is actually a good single-track bike.

how can a bike that is actually good at everything from single track to multi-hundred mile road trips not be a "dual sport"?

at any rate, when looking for opinions here, it is good to keep in mind that many of us seem to have different definitions of "dual sport" and different ideas of what makes a bike good or bad on the road or in the dirt.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote