User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
dziner OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Question Pre-purchase info needed for 2009 BMW 650GS Twin

I have my eyes on a 2009 BMW F650GS Twin (factory lowered) that is a few states away from me. Can anyone shed some light on a few questions I have to help me decide on this purchase?

The seller says the bike does not have a center stand. Is that true for all factory lowered 650 Twins? My next question is, can a center stand be easily installed?

Maybe I will be ok with this smaller bike as I have a 30" inseam. But, if I were to install a non-factory lowered rear shock, would I need to adjust the front as well? Would this cause the bike to handle poorly?

And my final question, any idea what type of scheduled maintenance is for this bike? It's just a few miles away from 30,000. It's had a recent oil change and new tires. Also had the fuel tank replaced under recall and the charcoal canister removed. Just wondering if I would be looking at any pricey maintenance in the near future.
dziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Supposed to have the valves checked every 12,000 miles so due in a 6,000 for you - spendy at the dealer but rarely requires adjustment with new shims. Air filter @ 12,000. Also, check (& replace?) the brake pads - easy to do at home. Possible battery soon at 4 years old if still original. Probably bleed the brakes just for drill and renew coolant. @ 30K it deserves a thorough once over, all systems including wheel bearings (check, replace as needed), head set bearings (clean & adjust) and swing arm bearings (clean). How are the chain & sprockets?

Many threads here on this DIY stuff. Also Haynes and the RepRom. These are sometimes included when buying a used bike. What service records/notes come with?

Good luck and enjoy. Great all around bike.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziner View Post
The seller says the bike does not have a center stand. Is that true for all factory lowered 650 Twins? My next question is, can a center stand be easily installed?
The center stand will bolt on. The issue is the length. I personally bough a factory OEM center stand, and had it cut/rewelded. The back tire on mine is off the ground about 1-2 inches. Others just put the OEM on. Some report is real PIA to get it onto the fulcrum point, others say you are just being a wussy.

In any point, the back tire will probably be higher than you might like if you don't cut it.

Quote:
Maybe I will be ok with this smaller bike as I have a 30" inseam. But, if I were to install a non-factory lowered rear shock, would I need to adjust the front as well? Would this cause the bike to handle poorly?
There is no part difference. I know my lowered has a "wire stop", which lowers the forks about 1/4" in the triple tree.

Quote:
And my final question, any idea what type of scheduled maintenance is for this bike? It's just a few miles away from 30,000.
Maintence is on the 6K and 12K intervals. You next big check is at 36K.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
whowardb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hi dziner
I installed an SM Motec centerstand on my 650 GS2 in about 15 minutes. The only sticky part was using a flat-blade screwdriver to snap the spring onto the lug. Took a couple of tries.

I just heard of a different setup on Roninmotos' RTW post. Instead of the 10 # centerstand he used struts attached to his swing arm that only weighed 10 oz. It was good for tire changes and chain maint. Check it out!

BTW, this bike is great! It'll keep up with its big brothers-you might have to shift down on hills though.

Howard
whowardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
All good comments above.

I got my "lowered" center stand from Bob's BMW (check them out on line). It's a factory stand cut down and re welded. Putting on the stiff spring took a little muscle.

I had to change the chain on mine at 30K miles...sprockets still ok...but check the front one(it wears faster) for wear at the dealer (hooking is very easy to see).

It is a great bike.

Hope it works out well for you.

ps I have a factory "lowered rear shock and spring" as I replaced mine with a Wilber's set up if you have any interest.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Replace the battery whenever you buy any used bike. Its cheap, it eliminates one unknown, and gives peace of mind. Never trust the previous owner.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
dziner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Replace the battery whenever you buy any used bike. Its cheap, it eliminates one unknown, and gives peace of mind. Never trust the previous owner.
That is also on my mind. The owner keeps saying the bike is on the battery tender (which he will ship with the bike). But my though is "Why is the bike on a tender? It's not Winter." But at the same time, if the bike is sitting because he rides his Yamaha, it's pretty much the same as being winterized since it's not being actively started and ridden.

That was one of the things I didn't like about the F650. Access to the battery was a pain in the butt.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
dziner OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
All good comments above.

I got my "lowered" center stand from Bob's BMW (check them out on line). It's a factory stand cut down and re welded. Putting on the stiff spring took a little muscle.
Bob's BMW is a short ride across the border into Maryland for me. I've only been there once. But it seems like one of the bigger and better BMW dealers in the area. I heard they do a lot of mail-order business. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Pm sent. I'm selling my F650GS. If you have a 30 inseam you don't need lower suspension. My bike has just the low seat and I'm ok on it. I'm 5'6 with 30" inseam. Here's the link to my ad.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909351