User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
ca1ic0cat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Jesse vs. Hattech vs Touratech vs. Caribou

I know this has been covered but the info seems to be scattered. I'm replacing the Vario cases on my bike. The top case flew away and the side cases sag when loaded up for long trips. The dealer says that the Vario mounting points tend to break as well... So the winter project (aside from a new GPS, the old one was in the top case ) is to put new luggage on. Here are my thoughs so far. I would appriciate experience over my speculation though, so have at it, please!

Jesse: The Safari 115s are huge and seem well thought out. I'm not sure that the mounting is any stronger than the BMW Vario though. I guess I was expecting a full frame with a strut behind the rear tire. Is the mount as tough as the case?

Hattech: Looks to be super strong but not as big as the Jesse. Yeah, two up with a tent and stuff gets big. I rather like the "Doppelfire" exhaust but the whole set up is about $200 more than the Jesse system.

Touratech: Looks OK and has a good frame but not massive in size. From the website it looks like it would be as expensive as the Hattech and I don't get a full size left case.

Caribou: Not as big as the others but does have a full frame and the price is the best going by a factor of 2x. That's a lot of cash. Black only, which will cook the contents on a sunny day.

Anything else worth considering?

Thanks,

Eric
ca1ic0cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,170
I've got black jesse's on my 12gs and black caribou's on my 650gs. Haven't cooked anything in 250k miles.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ic0cat View Post
Hattech: Looks to be super strong but not as big as the Jesse. Yeah, two up with a tent and stuff gets big. I rather like the "Doppelfire" exhaust but the whole set up is about $200 more than the Jesse system.
I have the Hattech Doublefire with Micatech cases. Ends up being pretty expensive but looks nice when the cases are off and is really narrow with the V-Pilot cases I have (basically V2 cases on a Pilot mount, both are full size due to the Hattech exhaust).

Works great:

For real space you can use the Pilot cases.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Jim T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I just went through the same exact exercise.

I went with the Jesse Odyssey II system with the low pipe version. The mounts are the ones that allow about 4" of fore and aft adjustment and are quite sturdy (much stronger looking than the Safari mounts IMHO).

I got the Odyssey top case as well. I just got them all mounted and so far am quite pleased.

One thing that was important for me was to maintain a bag width of no more than 35". The Safari's are 39" and the Zegas even wider I think.

Good luck in your decision.

Jim
Jim T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
lp6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Caribou

Love the Caribous especially with liner bags. Cases do come in gray, orange, yellow, olive drab and desert. I did a low speed tump and bent the brackets. Everything stayed on, while loose, it did not rattle or come off. Brackets bent back with little effort, no damage to cases.
lp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
In order of appearance:

Touratech
Caribou
Jesse
.................................................. ..............
Hattech, Micatech

The .... are supposed to illustrate the relative difference. In my opinion, purely side opening cases, like the caribou are a pain in the ass (I made my own out of Pelican cases on my Dakar)...but they are solid, cheap and easy to replace when the time comes. The Hattech and Micatech are so ugly that I would never consider them considering the other options. TO ME, that leaves the Touratech and Jesse cases...while the consensus is that the Jesse's are a bit more rugged...they are also on the uglier side. It would be nice to hear someone discuss how well each seal after taking a beating...the stock GSA cases are made by Touratech, but the plastic lip is prone to leaking.
From what I have seen and read, the non-BMW Touratech versions are much better.
DualMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
tlwood99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I went with the Zega Pro's

Here is a picture of what the Zega Pro's look like on the bike

I went with silver over black mainly because of visibility. I wouldn't be too concerned about black bags being too hot.

I like the Vario top case. Awesome for commuting, and flexible for around town type stuff. I have had no problems with it coming off accidentally and understand BMW fixed the issue on later bags (at least I hope so).

The Zega P's are new so I don't have much history with them yet to comment. So far very pleased with the quality and workmanship, and they hold a ton.

Enjoy the hunt.
tlwood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Carl Spackler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Black Zega Pro's are awesome. Fit and finish are superb. I just happen to have a new set for sale over in the Flea Market....
Old 01-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,581
I went with Jessie odysseys. I likes the Zega Pros but too much $. Jessie pros.... More capacity. Narrower. Tough as nails. Adjustable.

Cons..... Ugly.

The pros outweighed the cons in my case.

My only advice, stay away from plastic.
AviatorTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
In order of appearance:

Touratech
Caribou
Jesse
.................................................. ..............
Hattech, Micatech
I guess it's all a matter of taste what you are talking about here. I could understand discussion about features like top-loading vs. side-loading vs. side-loading with well at the bottom, but just optics?

Okay, whatever floats your boat. I tried to make my decision firstly based on features / requirements, secondly on looks.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I guess it's all a matter of taste what you are talking about here. I could understand discussion about features like top-loading vs. side-loading vs. side-loading with well at the bottom, but just optics?

Okay, whatever floats your boat. I tried to make my decision firstly based on features / requirements, secondly on looks.
So your opinion about my opinion has more validity? Where's the logic in that? I clearly phrased my response subjectively...looks matter to me...the OP asked "anything else I should consider", I gave an answer.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
DualMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwood99 View Post
Here is a picture of what the Zega Pro's look like on the bike

I went with silver over black mainly because of visibility. I wouldn't be too concerned about black bags being too hot.

I like the Vario top case. Awesome for commuting, and flexible for around town type stuff. I have had no problems with it coming off accidentally and understand BMW fixed the issue on later bags (at least I hope so).

The Zega P's are new so I don't have much history with them yet to comment. So far very pleased with the quality and workmanship, and they hold a ton.

Enjoy the hunt.
Speaking of looks...that bike looks great. Was the dealer located on a dirt road...it looks like the whole package just came off the showroom floor.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
So your opinion about my opinion has more validity?
Let's put it that way: Looks is a very personal argument. But, as said: whatever floats your boat.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
monkeydad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I have a new 1200GS and would like to see more comments about overall width and strength/durability in lowsides between the different bags.
monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
cug
--

Never low-sided mine, but it fell once on tar pretty hard on the left side while I was about 20 yards away ...

Scratches on the case, completely broken aluminum head protector (complete waste that thing), some scratches on handguards and windshield. No problem at all with the cases.