User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
NCK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Sewing Kit

I need to teach myself some good hand-sewing techniques for when I'm on the road (youtube should be great at that) and am looking to learn a bit about threads and needles that would be the best for me to carry.

Anyone have a great hand-sewing kit they could point me toward?

There are a bunch of great threads on this forum (if you search) on sewing, but the all focus on sewing with a machine whereas I want to be skilled at field repair. My sense is that some tougher-than normal thread is in order (function heavily outweighing style here) but don't know much about this!

Thanks!
Nate
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Just get a couple of these freebie kits and toss em in your tank bag or pocket. You don't need heavy duty thread and needles as you are typically only doing field repairs plus the smaller needle and threads could be used to stitch a larger skin cut closed if unnecessary.

marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
Just get a couple of these freebie kits and toss em in your tank bag or pocket. You don't need heavy duty thread and needles as you are typically only doing field repairs plus the smaller needle and threads could be used to stitch a larger skin cut closed if unnecessary.

I've used one of these for on the road repairs for years. . . . . .they work great for anything you wwill want to tackle up to but not uncluding your riding gear (and, perhapsa, soft luggage) . . . for that, a Speedy Sticher will take care of you.

http://www.speedystitcher.com/products.html
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
tommymerle
advwanabee

Oddometer: 329
get a sail patching kit, big strong needles and thread so you could even sew up leather if needed
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
NCK OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I've used one of these for on the road repairs for years. . . . . .they work great for anything you wwill want to tackle up to but not uncluding your riding gear (and, perhapsa, soft luggage) . . . for that, a Speedy Sticher will take care of you.

http://www.speedystitcher.com/products.html
BOOM! I love Advrider.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
NCK OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
Just get a couple of these freebie kits and toss em in your tank bag or pocket. You don't need heavy duty thread and needles as you are typically only doing field repairs plus the smaller needle and threads could be used to stitch a larger skin cut closed if unnecessary.[/IMG]
Thanks for chiming in!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,873
Carry some floss too - packaged well for travel and a much higher tensile strength if you need to repair something heavy. Make sure it'll thread through the needles before you get too far away from civilization.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
You might want to cosider a sewing awl, like this Speedy stitcher.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Sewing kits

I learned to sew in aircraft school and then have learned to make boat canvas, bike seats, back packs, gear covers, and even a down filled parka. Go to this site; http://www.sailrite.com/ . It will have everything you need to fix anything you need to sew on a trip. They also have books on sewing. A book on canvas work is a good place to start. I carry heavy duty sail thread and sail needles in my kit for repairing heavy duty fabric. A sailors palm really helps out when pushing needles into heavy fabric also. A large fabric store might have what you need also, and will give you advice.
The little sewing kits such as from a previous post are good for buttons and light material, but, it isn't much more money to carry the needles and thread for heavy jackets, saddle bags, or a seat. Plan for the worst case repairs.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Carry some floss too - packaged well for travel and a much higher tensile strength if you need to repair something heavy. Make sure it'll thread through the needles before you get too far away from civilization.
Yep. I sewed an army duffel bag handle on with dental floss, its still holding. Been overseas with it twice now, plus a bunch of other use.

Carry dental floss and a couple of good needles, you'll have enough to do field repairs. The needles can be carried in about anything. Tootbrush case, pen, etc.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
keiji
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
A sewing awl is nice, but it takes up too much space. I prefer set of needles, scissors(knife) and a spoolof 100% heavy duty nylon or polyester thread - the kind you would make a heavy backpack with. Cotton thread tears too easily - if you are going to fix something, might as well do it once.

http://seattlefabrics.com/thread.html

Learn to back stitch - it is easy, durable, and if you do a good job, will look like a machine stitch from the outside - this is probably what I use the most to patch stuff and sew connection zippers on mis-matched riding gear.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

Walter
I have had one of those for years, it is amazing what you can fix once you get the hang of it, it goes with me every where.

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

Walter
Absolutely one of the most useful ebay purchases i have made. You tube showed me how to use it, and it more than paid for itself on it's first repair (tank bag).
Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
I bought myself this sewing kit but I could consider this speedy thingy.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
NCK OP
Studly Adventurer

It's threads like these that make this forum invaluable. I can't thank you all enough for your input!

I ended up buying a Sewing Awl (for only $13, I might as well know if it makes sense for me or not re: size and packing for my RTW), along with some additional sailing thread to repair the tough stuff.

Pumped to learn stitching!