User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
2007 KTM Super Duke Questions

I'm looking at a couple of '07 Super Dukes that are for sale in my area. While researching the bikes, I came across some specs that suggest that there may have been changes made to the model mid-year. In particular, some of the specs state that fuel tank is 15 liters (4 gallons), while others state that it is 18 liters (4.9 galloons). Does anybody know if there was such a change, and how I can tell what the fuel capacity is on these bikes (i.e., 4 or 4.9). Any other changes?

BTW, anything else I should look out for on these bikes. Both are being sold by non-KTM dealers that probably did not survice the bikes.

Finally, the going price on cycletrader for moslty stock '07's with lowish miles is around $8K. Reasonable?

Thanks, Mike
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
I have one, as well as having owned a Adventurer and a 950sm. Mine is also a 07 and i believe the 07 was introduced with a bigger tank. Another thing to check is the water pump, On the LC8 engine the water pump failing is a common problem,although it has not happened to mine yet, I did have to replace the pump on my Sm and Adventurer.There is currently one for sale in my area and it also is listed at 8 grand with goodies on it. I really enjoy mine ,it puts a smile on my face everytime i ride it. Depending on the miles on it,make sure the valves were checked.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Fantastic bike!
In over 40 years of riding, it's the most FUN I've ever owned.
And yes the '07 has the larger tank, 18 liters, I believe.

P.S. here is some excellent info - http://www.superduke.net/forum/
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I've owned an '08 SD a little over 3 years now and it's pretty much my favorite thing in the world. The bike makes you feel like you can do anything on the street and get away with it. Of course, we all know that's not actully the case but it is such a well balanced machine it makes you feel invincible. As far as stuff to watch out for, never leave the bike in the rain because the instrument panel will leak and eventually break. Also, ethanol will ruin the tank.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
I've owned an '08 SD a little over 3 years now and it's pretty much my favorite thing in the world. The bike makes you feel like you can do anything on the street and get away with it. Of course, we all know that's not actully the case but it is such a well balanced machine it makes you feel invincible. As far as stuff to watch out for, never leave the bike in the rain because the instrument panel will leak and eventually break. Also, ethanol will ruin the tank.
How big is the ethanol issue? I live in Illinois, which mandates that all gas sold include 10% ethanol.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
How big is the ethanol issue? I live in Illinois, which mandates that all gas sold include 10% ethanol.
It's a pretty big issue. Check out the Ducati forums. Some guys have replaced their tank 5 times. KTM uses the same type of polyamide tanks manufactured by Acerbis. My first tank got a case of the infamous "mumps" and distorted to where the mounts were twisting. KTM replaced it for free when the bike was out of warranty and I had the replacement tank coated with a feul proof epoxy before ever putting gas in it. That was a year and several months ago and so far the new tank is still in perfect shape. Some have concerns that the epoxy coating won't hold up but I personally feel there's a greater chance of an un-coated polyamide distorting, hence the choice to try the tank coating.

Regarding the instrument cluster, the 2010 version IS waterproof and KTM replaced my leaky and broken '08 cluster for free with the 2010 version whiich has performed flawlessly in all conditions. The pre-2010 versions are defective junk that should have been recalled in my opinion.

Pork-Chop Express screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 05:04 AM
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,262
I paid around 7300 for my 07 and its pretty well decked out. Low miles too.

I spotted this one in the flea market. It seems incredibly cheap!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=super
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
I paid around 7300 for my 07 and its pretty well decked out. Low miles too.

I spotted this one in the flea market. It seems incredibly cheap!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=super
Yes, I keep turning back to this ad, but it's just too far away to consider. Ever SD within 300 miles is mostly stock and well over 7 or 8 gramd (all at dealers).
Old 01-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork-Chop Express View Post
It's a pretty big issue. Check out the Ducati forums. Some guys have replaced their tank 5 times. KTM uses the same type of polyamide tanks manufactured by Acerbis. My first tank got a case of the infamous "mumps" and distorted to where the mounts were twisting. KTM replaced it for free when the bike was out of warranty and I had the replacement tank coated with a feul proof epoxy before ever putting gas in it. That was a year and several months ago and so far the new tank is still in perfect shape. Some have concerns that the epoxy coating won't hold up but I personally feel there's a greater chance of an un-coated polyamide distorting, hence the choice to try the tank coating.

Regarding the instrument cluster, the 2010 version IS waterproof and KTM replaced my leaky and broken '08 cluster for free with the 2010 version whiich has performed flawlessly in all conditions. The pre-2010 versions are defective junk that should have been recalled in my opinion.
I have a neighbor with a Duc 1098s that had an issue with his gas tank, but I don't recall the specifics. Do you know if fuel treatments aimed at "fixing" ethanol problems will help? I'm already using Startron additive to my K1300s to deal with fuel injector problems, and I won't mind using it for the SD as a preventative.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Yes, I keep turning back to this ad, but it's just too far away to consider. Ever SD within 300 miles is mostly stock and well over 7 or 8 gramd (all at dealers).

MIght only cost 500 to ship it? Still a pretty good deal!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a neighbor with a Duc 1098s that had an issue with his gas tank, but I don't recall the specifics. Do you know if fuel treatments aimed at "fixing" ethanol problems will help? I'm already using Startron additive to my K1300s to deal with fuel injector problems, and I won't mind using it for the SD as a preventative.
Unfortunately, Startron won't keep your tank from distorting. I used it with my original tank and it didn't prevent the ethanol from doing damage to it. I was told by the local Ducati mechanic that Startron is a good fuel stabilzer in that it keeps the gas from separating from the ethanol in your tank but you still have a tank that's filled with 90% gas and 10% ethanol.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

I've been perusing Superduke.net and it seems likely that KTM will replace the tank even if out of warranty. So the risk may not be that significant. At least I now know to look for when I take a closer look at these bikes.

On another matter, anybody doing much 2-up on their Superduke? I'm not talking about touring or long days on the saddle, but I do anticipate a fair number of day trips explorng the backroads in the area. The problem is that neither my wife nor I are exactly "skinney". She is quite comfortable on the back of my K1300S, but I can tell that the banna seat on the SD is a bit shorter. I had planned to test ride and decide on the bike on the way home from work tomorrow, but maybe I need to bring the misses in and have her sit on the back. If it is an issue, maybe I can find an aftermarket luggage rack for over the fender. It won't do anything to make the seat longer, but at least it will provide a sense of security. Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,366
If you want to do 2-up, you'd be better off with an SMT. Only anorexic-skinny supermodels will fit on the back of a SD!

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
If you want to do 2-up, you'd be better off with an SMT. Only anorexic-skinny supermodels will fit on the back of a SD!

That is what I feared. Unfortunately, there are no SMT's for sale in the area. It looks like I may be holding off for a while.

Thanks all for the help. It has been an invaluable education.