Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I've been perusing Superduke.net and it seems likely that KTM will replace the tank even if out of warranty. So the risk may not be that significant. At least I now know to look for when I take a closer look at these bikes.

On another matter, anybody doing much 2-up on their Superduke? I'm not talking about touring or long days on the saddle, but I do anticipate a fair number of day trips explorng the backroads in the area. The problem is that neither my wife nor I are exactly "skinney". She is quite comfortable on the back of my K1300S, but I can tell that the banna seat on the SD is a bit shorter. I had planned to test ride and decide on the bike on the way home from work tomorrow, but maybe I need to bring the misses in and have her sit on the back. If it is an issue, maybe I can find an aftermarket luggage rack for over the fender. It won't do anything to make the seat longer, but at least it will provide a sense of security. Any thoughts?
By sport bike standards the SD is a decent 2-up bike. My wife likes to ride and she likes that the passenger seat on the is SD is only a couple inches higher than the rider's seat and that the rider sits fairly upright in front of her. She hates the way the repli-racer bikes put the passenger up on a perch way above and behind the rider but she's okay with the SD. Passenger leg room is again pretty good by sport bike standards but compared to anything else like the larger adventure bikes for example the passenger accomodations leave a lot to be desired. The furthest we ride 2-up is when we go out to Skyline drive which is typically a little less than 200 miles round trip but that's definitely pushing it from a passenger comfort standpoint. If your only riding 40 or 50 miles between stops you'd probably be okay but any more than that and your going to be hearing from the complaint department.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #17
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Thanks.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
Levert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I have an 08.
I've done two up trips in the 400km range no problem.

No problems with my tank but I always use high octane fuel in canada as it will have no ethanol in it.
On the SD forum you will find all the info you need to hop your baby up. If you are doing two up you will need to get rid of the stock pipes as they are extremely hot.
Remove the SAS, turn off the O2 and get some aftermarket slipons. With Leo Vince cans on I can touch the exterior of the cans and will not get burned, they are very cool.

Ive owned lots of bikes and this one is always fun to ride.
Levert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
RedFrogTango OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
FWIW - After deciding to take a pass on the Super Duke, I tried to buy an '06 Adventure that had just came up for sale in my area. But someone else scooped it up before I could get back in town to check it out. I then got a call from the dealer selling the Super Duke telling me that they had a couple of used bikes that never made it on to their website. Needless to say, I now own an '04 BMW R1150R Rockster. The Rockster makes a whole lot more sense for how I intend to use this bike.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote