User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Help needed on bluetooth motorcycle technology

I will be soon doing more 2 up riding with my wife. I want the capabilitynfor us to both be able to listen to music from my cell phone and the ability to communicate with each other. If possible a gps system that will transmit directions through the system. Please tell me what solution would work and how much it is likely to cost.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
I'll tell you what won't work. Zumo 665 (maybe 660) coupled with Scala G4 headsets. You only get to listen to the Zumo OR talk to the wife. But not both.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Check out the Sena SMH-10. I'm pretty sure it will do all of that. I'm very happy with mine.

You can get two for $230 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Sena-SMH10D-Bl...keywords=smh10
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,356
Sena SMH-10. Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
I'll tell you what won't work. Zumo 665 (maybe 660) coupled with Scala G4 headsets. You only get to listen to the Zumo OR talk to the wife. But not both.
That is a known problem with the Zumo 660 and 665. I think the Sena will work as desired with the Zumo 550. Don't know about the newer Zumo 3-series(?).
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

That looks like what I need. How does it allow to skip, pause songs on my smartphone or do I have to control that via my smart phone.

Is my helmet supposed to have a cutaway inside the linng so the device fits, or is thatbwhat a bluetooth compatible helmet is for? Is there much road noise transmitted?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
sparkymcgee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
That looks like what I need. How does it allow to skip, pause songs on my smartphone or do I have to control that via my smart phone.

Is my helmet supposed to have a cutaway inside the linng so the device fits, or is thatbwhat a bluetooth compatible helmet is for? Is there much road noise transmitted?
There is a jog dial that you can either rotate or push in or both. If you just rotate it, you will adjust volume. If you push and rotate, you will skip forward or back a track and if you push and hold, you will pause/unpause. Quick push activates intercom if you don't have voice activation enabled. The track commands also work with Pandora if you use that.

For sound, you can either mount the speakers in a cutaway or you can opt for earbuds using an optional mount.

For noise, I wear earplugs as I normally would and the volume is sufficient to hear music and intercom.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,061
Sena SMH-10 and a smartphone will do everything you need. You likely want a phone charger and a mounting bracket like a RAM finger grip.

You may need to modify the foam in your helmet a little bit. Most newer helmets have pockets to slip speakers into.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
StuartV
Motorcyclist

With the Sena SMH-10 paired via Bluetooth to an Android device or an iOS device (iPhone, iPod, etc.):

- To Play or Pause the music, you press the Jog dial and hold it for 2 seconds.

- To skip forward or back while the music is playing, you press the Jog dial and hold it in, then turn the Jog dial one way or the other (to go Next or Previous).

- Sena supplies what they call a "helmet clamp" with the unit. The helmet clamp attaches to the side of the helmet - either using the supplied double-sided tape or by inserting a piece between the helmet shell and lining and screwing the helmet clamp to that piece so that, in combination, they clamp onto the helmet shell. Then, the radio unit clips onto that helmet clamp. The speakers and boom mic are attached to the helmet clamp, not the radio unit and you just run the wires into your helmet and use sticky-backed Velcro (also supplied) to secure them inside the ear pockets of your helmet.

In other words, the Senas will mount onto pretty much any helmet.

And you can use it to listen to music and control your music player via Bluetooth.

I have my Sena paired to my phone (for making and receiving phone calls), my iPod Touch (for music), and then my g/f and others' Sena units for talking over the intercom. Since I never need to actually touch it, I usually put the iPod in my trunk, so I don't have to worry about it being in my pocket. I keep my phone in a pocket on me, so I don't have to remember to grab it if I stop somewhere and get off the bike. I don't pair my Sena to my GPS because I never listen to my GPS anyway - even in the car. I just look at it, to know where I'm going.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Adam at RocketMoto

You need to talk to Adam at RocketMoto, a frequent contributor on this site for bluetooth issues.

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
StuartV
Motorcyclist

ps. I could use my Android smartphone for both phone calls and music, and leave my iPod at home. I don't just because my phone battery would die much more quickly. And my iPod battery will easily last all day, playing music the whole time.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
The Sena SMH10 will work great to allow you to both be able to chat to each other and have your smart phone synced up plus music for you only. On the SMH10 with at least V4.0 software, there is also a multi-point pairing that allows the GPS to be connected too (as long as its not the Zumo 665 which hogs the phone music profile too). With your phone synced via A2DP/AVRCP you also have the ability to pause, skip, or rewind your music using the jog dial on the SMH10. I use this a lot when listening to Pandora or my music on the device and it works great.

However, the one thing that I think you wanted from the way you wrote it, but isn't possible with just the 2 headsets is allowing your wife to listen to music from your phone at the same time you are. As far as I know there is no phone out there that supports 2 simultaneous music connection profiles at the same time. The phone only supports one connection at a time for a music so if you are connected only you can listen. Now if your wife has her own phone or device with music, then she can just listen to her own music and no issue connected to her own headset.

If this really is an issue though, there is a solution to allow both of you to listen to the same exact music source. Sena has the SM10 which is a BT Hub that does allow a music device to be plugged in and then that music source to be shared between 2 headsets at the same time. I would imagine using that extra device though, you give up the ability to control your music through the headset? I'm Not sure on that though as I haven't used the SM10 directly. Also since your phone would be plugged into that SM10 device, that would also mean you would not be able to sync up to your headset to take phone calls since on most phones, a wired connection overrides a BT connection.

Web Bike Worlds SM10 review - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...m10/review.htm

BTW, there is a great thread here on ADV about the SMH10 with lots of knowledge on how it all works - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562357

Also if you and your wife always are always going to be 2up on the same bike and you don't care about ever having a 3 or 4 way intercom, with other SMH10 users, instead of the more expensive SMH10, you could get the SMH5. Its a lower priced option that has most of the same functions as the 10, except for 3-4 way conferencing, less distance, and smaller battery. Also no ear bud option like the SMH10. Or you could always have the SMH10 for you and the SMH5 for your wife. They do communicate together also.

SMH10 on Web Bike World - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...mh10-intercom/
SMH10 V4.0 Firmware update - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...e-update-4.htm
SMH5 on Web Bike World - http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ms/sena-smh-5/

The 1.2 update to the SMH5 gave it the multi-point pairing like the SMH10 which gives it 2 HFP connections for like phone or GPS and 1 A2DP for music.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 12:36 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineySideUp View Post
You need to talk to Adam at RocketMoto, a frequent contributor on this site for bluetooth issues.
+1, what ever decision you make, definitely talk to Adam at Rocket Moto. He will help you out greatly and he gives an ADV discount.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Wow technology has come a long way. Thanks for the info everyone. My current ds style helmet is very nousy and does mot have a cut out. However I will be upgrading it soon. It is a bummer only one device may play music but it is not a deal breaker. If I am solo riding can I still use the sena to listen to my music?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #14
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Wow technology has come a long way. Thanks for the info everyone. My current ds style helmet is very nousy and does mot have a cut out. However I will be upgrading it soon. It is a bummer only one device may play music but it is not a deal breaker. If I am solo riding can I still use the sena to listen to my music?
Yeah, each headset can have their own music device (which could be a smart phone) paired to it. It causes no issues if you both are together and have your individual smart phones paired to your respective headsets or if you are solo and its just you.

I find it interesting a lot of people not familiar with BT expect one device to be able to share its connection with multiple headsets, but unless that device specifically has 2 separate A2DP profiles available for like music, then only one device can be connected at a time. However, that was exactly what Sena did with their SM10 BT hub is give it 2 BT profiles for music so that it could share its connection between 2 headsets.

In case you aren't familiar with the BT profiles, here's how the most common ones break down. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

HSP = Headset Profile. (Basically allowing you talk over a headset through your phone)
HFP = Hands Free Proflie. (Allows stuff like voice dialing over a BT headset)
HFP & HSP generally go hand in hand most commonly just being called HFP. These connections are how your phone connects to a BT headset to take calls, answer calls, and make calls. Its a mono connection. Its also a common profile to connect your GPS unit to your headset.

A2DP = Advanced Audio Distribution Profile. (Listen to Stereo Music over BT)
AVRCP = Audio/Video Remote Control Profile. (Allows you to control your music via the headset.
Once again, these 2 usually go hand in hand and are a shared connection. This is a stereo BT connection. If you listen to music from your phone or listen to videos, its often over this A2DP connection.

So the SMH10 & the SMH5 with multi-point connectivity have 2 HFP profiles & 1 A2DP profile on each headset. It could be 3 separate devices connected with each having their own profile, but the most common is a cell phone connected that uses both the HFP & the A2DP profile and something like a GPS with navigation only using the 2nd HFP connection.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,148
Does any one know if SENA has ironed out the iOS 6.x issues?

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote