Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,925
Pissed Bought New Truck, Turned Out Not So Shiny - What to do?

Saturday my wife and I bought new trucks from Power Toyota Scion Tempe. A Four Cylinder Magnetic Gray Metalic Toyota Tacoma for her (high mpg since she commutes a lot) and a bigass Black (it's slimming, right?) Double Cab Tundra for me (to haul bikes!). We were happy with the deal until...

The finance guy at the dealership almost made us walk away. He used to be a Master Tech in their service department. We were buying two trucks and of course he wanted to sell us the service packages and extended warranties. In the process he made it sound like the trucks were going to fall apart and parts would fail as soon as we drove them off the lot, we wouldn't be able to work on them and parts and special tools were going to bankrupt us. When we called him on his sales tactic; "Hey, are we buying total POS vehicles here?" He didn't make it better. He actually said they were so hard to work on that their techs are always doing things wrong, like installing the belt on the Tundras wrong and blowing out the tensioner. He made it sound like the oil change on both would be the biggest PITA ever. And he said the only way to get a full factory service manual was to subscribe to some $6k a year subscription service. We did make a good deal and I was pretty confident in the trucks (key-word there: "was"). There's no way I want to take advantage of their "Toyota Care" deal to rotate tires and do oil changes for the first couple of years. The trucks will go in if there is something that fails under warranty, but I have very little confidence in their service department now.

So we were feeling pretty uneasy about the whole thing. Later that night I found online where people were talking up the reliability of the trucks and we felt better. Until...

The dealer we went to had to retrieve the Tundra from another dealer a little over 100 miles away. We didn't actually get the truck the night we bought it. Not too big of a deal, I guess. It's "NEW", right? The next day it was slightly overcast when they handed the truck over to me. Overall it looked good, but there were a couple of minor flaws that we could see. Later in the day when the sun came out all the way I could see swirl marks all over the truck. It was bad. Then we noticed the antenna was bent and the antenna bezel looked like it was cracking from sun exposure already (2012 model). I took it back the next day and basically demanded my old truck back. At first the manager said, "you signed a legally binding contract." I almost responded with, "Oh, so you're telling me to lawyer up?" I went with a more subtle, "Yes, but that was for a *new* truck and this one seems used and beat already!" Eventually he said they would take care of it and make everything right.

I should get the Tundra back today. I worry about what they might have done to bring the finish back. They said they would use a "special polish for dark vehicles". And if worse came to worse they would put it in their body shop and wet sand it! Should I worry? I don't have a Carfax, but when I enter the VIN on the Tundra it shows five history reports so far. If any of those reports shows something that would affect the value, should I be looking for some financial compensation? I'm thinking of at least asking for written assurance that the finish and plastic/rubber will hold up for an extended period as I would expect out of a truly "new" vehicle. I'm also thinking of asking them to kick some money our way to cover the Toyota Care that I won't take advantage of because I have no confidence in their techs. Or should I try again to give the truck back? Or maybe exchange it for another one?

What would you do? Or what have you done in a similar situation? Or should I have posted this in Jo Momma under the First World Problems thread?

Yardstick screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 08:06 AM
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
I would demand a different truck, if you bought a new truck, you should get a new truck. Fuck all that polishing jazz.
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,159
Return the truck(s).

Find a good/honest dealer. Spend your money there.

Life's too short to deal w/ assholes.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
... I don't have a Carfax, but when I enter the VIN on the Tundra (5TFRY5F1XCX118517) it shows five history reports so far.

What would you do? Or what have you done in a similar situation? Or should I have posted this in Jo Momma under the First World Problems thread?
New car. 5 history reports?

What would I do? I would spend the $14 on the goddamn carfax report. Not spending it is false economy.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
New car. 5 history reports?

What would I do? I would spend the $14 on the goddamn carfax report. Not spending it is false economy.
Where do you find them for $14? Their site says $39.99 for one. Fortunately I have a friend with a used car lot and a subscription. I didn't want to bug him, but I'll buy him lunch/dinner next time we go mountain biking.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,826
Take it back!
Check your states laws regarding backing out of a car sale.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

I checked that here. There's no "cooling off period" or anything on vehicle purchases. There is a lemon law though.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,582
Quote:
I checked that here. There's no "cooling off period" or anything on vehicle purchases. There is a lemon law though.
Make sure your collision coverage is up to date. Drive it through their front window into all those shiny new showroom cars. Claim the accelerator stuck. It's a Toyota, it's totally believable.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 18,172
Next time, buy a TDI.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterWheel View Post
Next time, buy a TDI.
Had one! Not a bad little car.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Where do you find them for $14? Their site says $39.99 for one. Fortunately I have a friend with a used car lot and a subscription. I didn't want to bug him, but I'll buy him lunch/dinner next time we go mountain biking.
They were $14 for one when I last bought one. $20 for unlimited reports for 15 days.

Ok. fine. inflation. I'd pay the $39.99 for a carfax report.

Waittasec. Did this guy sell you a NEW car? Or did this guy sell you a USED car?

If he sold you a used car, you've got less to stand on. But if he sold you a new car, and it's been previously titled...it's *not* a new car, period. Mileage is irrelevant. So is cosmetic appearance. The bottom line is whether it had been titled previously.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Yardstick OP
Hydrophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
They were $14 for one when I last bought one. $20 for unlimited reports for 15 days.

Ok. fine. inflation. I'd pay the $39.99 for a carfax report.

Waittasec. Did this guy sell you a NEW car? Or did this guy sell you a USED car?

If he sold you a used car, you've got less to stand on. But if he sold you a new car, and it's been previously titled...it's *not* a new car, period. Mileage is irrelevant. So is cosmetic appearance. The bottom line is whether it had been titled previously.
It was supposed to be new. They just called and said it is ready to go. I'm still waiting on my friend with the subscription. I might just pay for it. Or maybe I should ask the dealer for it when I get there. They should have a subscription too.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,575
How does a "new" truck have five items on its history report? How fucking high was the lift it fell off of?

Never mind the lawyer, tell the sales manager they have exactly Eleven Fucking Seconds to get you the "new" vehicle you just agreed to buy, or your next call is to the Attorney General's office. If he hesitates at all, request that he provide you with a blowjob in the middle of the showroom floor while you are waiting, as it will be good practice for when they lock his lying ass in the slammer.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Saturday my wife and I bought new trucks. A Four Cylinder Magnetic Gray Metalic Toyota Tacoma for her (high mpg since she commutes a lot) and a bigass Black (it's slimming, right?) Double Cab Tundra for me (to haul bikes!).

What would you do? Or what have you done in a similar situation?
Dark colored heat sink trucks in the AZ desert. Did you get dark interiors too? You two must be as blonde as the day is long.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Eek

You say you bought a NEW truck. Did you really mean you bought a used truck that was just "new to you"? If this was supposed to be a new never used never sold vehicle there would be NO car fax reports on it. The only time a car fax would be generated is for problems that happened after the sale. If this was represented as a new truck you have a clear case of fraud and need to be talking to the police not a motorcycle forum.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: