Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM   #166
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Last group for the day...next up? I was thinking maybe bugs. My camera isn't good enough to get proper shots of tucanes, zopilotes, chirincocos, pavas and other birds, but I think I can get some nice shots of bichos y otros insectos...they litter my floor every morning

pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #167
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

I may have found my favorite place for Maracuya' ...it's absolutely, positively my favorite tropical fruit drink. It's passion fruit...but wow!, when it's made well, it's out of sight.

I hate to be the ol' fart who says "I remember when..." and then goes on to explain how much better things used to be...but I remember when Manuel Antonio had a handful of hotels and restaurants between it and Quepos...now...it's different. Still, I'll allow mysef the luxury of eating once in a blue moon at El Avion. Wonderful views, corny as all get up, and really good food as long as you order the nachos...can't speak for anything else. But it's quite touristy and as long as you take a good swim in the ocean afterwards you should be just fine. Did I mention the views?...

Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #168
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Early morning ride to stretch the 125's legs...Was going to cross this to find a route I drove several years ago. But it rained hard about 7 hours yesterdday and the water was a little too high for my taste.

Church near Dominicalito

I've also set up a fishing trip for the boys and wanted to make sure I knew where to go, fotos are from the Restaurante "La Parcela" area. Nice location, don't know about the food. Probably too many beach photos...

From above...

a nice 60 kilometer ride down past Uvita and then back home.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #169
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Butterfly wings from the kitchen floor this morning. Seems body / headless.

Maybe this guy got him...from the balcony.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #170
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

The electrical storms have been amazing here of late, about every three nights / mornings. Had I a good camera and timing last night I might have gotton a photo of surfers at dusk with a water funnel and lightening behind them in the distance. But this morning wasn't bad. "Super vivid" effect overdoses on the colors a bit, but normal mode doesn't quite do the view justice...probably somewhere in between.

Normal

Vivid

Normal

Vivid

At first I thought it was some lint on my screen, but I got just a sliver of lightening on this one.

Timing was right, camera was steady, but it was set to long shutter and I think the lightening that I was trying to capture maybe blurred the image?

Oh well, maybe I can try again tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #171
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Getting to the end of the trip...boys and I decided to try our hand at fishing. $65 per hour, 3 hours total for 5 of us. We started at 630 and had a great time. I'd never been fishing on the ocean before, loved the feeling of seeing the coast from afar.

From this...

...to this in a matter of seconds thanks to Cap'n Isidro's deft use of a blade.

However, inevitably among 5 people, one is bound to have a bout of sea-sickness...

Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #172
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

After hour 3 hour tour, we had 3 mackeral to show for it. It was a good outing. Something different for me.

A shrimping boat

A coulpe hours later and our catch was lunch

RiTV is expired (bike inspection) on my bike and can't find the title. But others will have to help with that. I'll be back in January, 2015 to continue with more riding. Thanks for checking in. Puravida.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #173
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Chirincoco...at first I only heard them and thought it must be some kind of joke...no self-respecting bird would make these sounds. Then I played a recording for a local guy and he told me the name...Chirincoco...in Spanish. Later, I saw them running around in the forest, but I never had my camera in hand when they were in site. I was able to to record this, a sample of what I woke up to at 4:45 for five consecutive mornings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yB...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #174
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I just found this RR yesterday, I'm caught up and you are back! How is the house construction coming?
How long will you be in CR this time? Another class?

I might drop in on you some day, I live in Panama near the Rio Sereno crossing. I have passed through PZ many times, just stopped once and spent the night in the hotel across from the park. On another trip I spent a night at Roca Dura. We have many similat photos!

Several times you complained about your camera. If you aren't satisfied, why not get another one? After all, the fantastic things you see deserve better pics!

My bike is just slightly bigger than yours, an XT250, but I also find it takes me anywhere I want to go.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #175
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie
I just found this RR yesterday, I'm caught up and you are back! How is the house construction coming?
How long will you be in CR this time? Another class?

Hey, Charlie, glad you found the report. House is done, gracias a Dios and I should be back in CR between Jan. and March of 2015.

Quote:
I might drop in on you some day, I live in Panama near the Rio Sereno crossing. I have passed through PZ many times, just stopped once and spent the night in the hotel across from the park. On another trip I spent a night at Roca Dura. We have many similat photos!

We should exchange visits then, for I have wanted to visit Panama for some time. The Río Serano crossing...so there is a crossing there?...Roca Dura, very quaint hotel and I, too, have stayed there...several times...as far back as 1988.

Quote:
Several times you complained about your camera. If you aren't satisfied, why not get another one? After all, the fantastic things you see deserve better pics!

Because I'm a cheap son of gun ....I will buy a new, more decent camara eventually...on the other hand, I never get rid of things that work reasonably well and the point and shoot I have does the job 95% of the time. The other 5%...that's what my memory is for!

Quote:
My bike is just slightly bigger than yours, an XT250, but I also find it takes me anywhere I want to go.

Ok, but your xt250 would allow you to go anywhere in style...my cgl allows me to barely get there...maybe, but yeah, gotta love small displacement bikes.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #176
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Rio Sereno is probably the fastest, easiest crossing in all of CA. Do a search of ADV.
How did you build a house if you weren't in-country?
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #177
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Rio Sereno is probably the fastest, easiest crossing in all of CA. Do a search of ADV.
How did you build a house if you weren't in-country?
Good to know about the crossing. My wife is Tica and she did most of the contracting from the States via family, friends, friends of friends...bunches and bunches of phone calls, emails, internet searches, sister who had power of attourney. But neither of us were on site, so we had to be a bit flexible with others telling what they thought would work well, what would look good. Lots of trust. But it turned out pretty nice.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #178
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Received word today that my college's study abroad Costa Rica trip is a go for January 2015, so "the ride", or maybe it's better called "the life and times of a CGL125 in CR" continues as I get to be a program leader for the second time in 3 years. Instead of letting the bike sit from August to January, I loaned it out to the guard of our community who uses it for short jaunts into a town just a kilometer or two away. Can't wait...7 more weeks to see what the 125 can...and can't do. I might have to commute to S.Isidro weekdays and that means about a 60 kilometer round trip up and over the mountains and back every day, but the thing is bashful about even sipping the little gas that it does.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 AM   #179
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Thread title updated as per your request.