Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #46
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,096
Sunday mass was just finishing....Chirripó looms in the distance.

In two weeks San Gerardo de Rivas will hold the 25th annual Chirripó race. On one of my hikes to the summit, I was heading down while the runners were racing up. That was back in ’88 or ’89, so it might have been the first or second year they held the race. I felt kind of ridiculous loaded down with backpacking gear while these guys were running up, as if it were just another jog. It was never clear to me if they go all the way to the top.

pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #47
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
International Chirripó Marathon

http://www.sangerardocostarica.com/activities/events/

Here is a link to the festivities. It says they run 34 KM up to the Crestones base camp. I don't know where that is in relationship to the peak...but 34 KM is 21 miles. It says they usually do it in 3 hours or so. It looks fun. It's a party that goes Friday to Monday. Lots of festivities. Your students should get some extra credit for going out and exchanging ideas with the locals. You should make a scavanger hunt and make them find certain things and bring them back or talk about them. Could be fun.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #48
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
http://www.sangerardocostarica.com/activities/events/

Here is a link to the festivities. It says they run 34 KM up to the Crestones base camp. I don't know where that is in relationship to the peak...but 34 KM is 21 miles. It says they usually do it in 3 hours or so. It looks fun. It's a party that goes Friday to Monday. Lots of festivities. Your students should get some extra credit for going out and exchanging ideas with the locals. You should make a scavanger hunt and make them find certain things and bring them back or talk about them. Could be fun.
Dang...they make it to the base camp? That's a serious almost marathon at 21 miles, because it is all up and it's quite steep at times. Most of the students have plans for other things that weekend. They're kept pretty busy at the school they're at. They've already done one beach visit, a farmer's market, waterfall and horseback ride, some went to a beach concert, others to other beaches. They still have to visit an indigenous community and most will also do canopy tours and maybe white water rafting. So they get lots of fun things to do besides the 4 hours a day of Spanish.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #49
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

More shots from aroud the San Gerardo de Rivas area...

Oh...so that's what I look like on Perlita. No license plate but at least I'm wearing that protective thingy and the helmet that came with the new bike purchase.

Decided to have breakfast and watch the soccer match for a while. This guy and friends were hitting it pretty early, shouting at the referee and giving the guys “huej-puta, mae” this and that, other choice pieces of encouragement from their vantage point of the second floor of the restaurant / hotel Roca Dura, a little place that I recommend—very neat rooms with rock walls for about $15-20 a night.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #50
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

From my restaurant seat overlooking the soccer field:

Gallo pinto con huevo, 2800 colones about $5.50 with CR’s famous “salsa Lizano” to the right and Mora refresco “en agua” to the left.

pdedse screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 02:29 PM
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #51
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Time to head back to Pérez where my niece and friends were waiting for me to do an interview with me for their English class. They had to head back to San José in the afternoon. Pretty much made the 3.5 hour bus trip just to practice their English.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Cool foot bridge over the river that is ever present as you ride to San Gerardo de Rivas

Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Ironically, I ride by a house that has all sorts of license plates...hmmmmm...maybe I should have just taken one of these.

Perlita just had a little joke played on her at this bus stop.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #54
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Well, I'm a happy camper this morning.

Email sent to my wife from
Jeannette M. S.
Departamento de Placas

>>Buenos Días Gilda

Ya esta lista la placa, para que pasen a retirarla.

Saludos cordiales,<<

This means that I'm now a leagle beagle, with my license plate and marchamo sticker. CR has this cool "encomienda" system where you pay the bus company to deliver a package to you. So another sis in law goes to the dealership in S. José picks up the plate, marchamo and other paperwork, makes a package of it, and sends it with bus driver. I go to bus station here in S.Isidro and pick it up, hopefully this afternoon!

Más vale tarde que nunca

Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #55
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

To finish with the Sunday trip...

Lots of dusty roads....love it!

That's some pretty hefty bamboo.

A roadside "pulpería", the CR equivalent of a corner 7-11, Circle K, Plaid Pantry if you're in the States. Except pulperías aren't chains and they are considerable more charming.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #56
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Heading back to S.Isidro...not a traffic cop in site for the 3 hour trip.

A very fun morning. Not disappointed at all by Perlita's lack of size and power. It handles just fine, is very light and easy to manage. We'll see about its durability, but so far so good. There was only one hill that I started to climb and didn't, but it was just a bit too steep and rocky and it looked like it was just going to keep climbing. Hard on a new motor...ok, on me too. The suspension isn't much, but the bottoming out can be controlled by taking it easy. Can't wait to get to know it better. I hope to keep it a year or two and then we'll see. Something in the back of my mind says ride it back to the U.S. just for kicks, but I'd want a good month for that. "Hay más tiempo que vida" says my wife all the time. I think she means "all in good time".
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #57
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

At 5:00pm yesterday my sis in law and I went to Musoc, the bus terminal in S.Isidro, to pick up the "encomienda" that another sis in law sent me from San José.

License plate, marchamo sticker (insurance) riteve sticker (inspection tag), license plate sticker and the plate itself. Dealership was supposed to send coupons for first three inspections at 1000K, 4000K and 6000K, but they weren't there. Have to follow up on that. I think they're good for labor but not for oil / filter itself.

The metal plate came without holes for nuts and bolts so my neighbor, don Rafael who is trying to date my sis in law, who wants to hook up with my brother she met via facebook--a telenovela in the making--took the plate somewhere and had them punch holes in it. He also said CR requires that these little reflector screws be used on MC plates to make them more visible at night, which, you can't see anyway the way they're tucked up under the seat, but at least they're there.

So here's the marchamo sticker, it held up the process only by one week.

Rode to work today! Students are all jealous, saying they want their own mc...how pretty Perlita looks, will I give them a ride....mmmmmmm.....no.

Got to work and this little guy was posing for photos.

Well, got a 3 day weekend beach trip planned for the students, coming up this Saturday to Monday and instead of going on bus with them, I get to ride all proud with my new legality.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #58
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,388
I'm back stateside now, que triste.....Stayed in Sta Maria de Cajon and got lots of riding in, report when I get some time.

Speaking of placas, looks like you got the "old generation plate",
Ley nueva....necesita cambiar para placas nueva al fin de feb o mar
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #59
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
I'm back stateside now, que triste.....Stayed in Sta Maria de Cajon and got lots of riding in, report when I get some time.

Speaking of placas, looks like you got the "old generation plate",
Ley nueva....necesita cambiar para placas nueva al fin de feb o mar
JAJAJAJJAJAJJAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!...OK, in English...HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAA!

Let me see if I got this right...So I wait 6 weeks for a license plate to be released for this bike only for the DMV equivalent to release me a plate that needs to be replaced with a new version by the end of Feb or Mar of this year. So my NEW plate is good for...whats today, el día de los enamorados, happy frickin Valentines Day for me!! My plate is good for another 2 weeks...ok 6 weeks if until the end of March. If this were April first, Id shout out DIA de los Tontos, but Im pretty sure youre not joking. Too bad for me, but I leave Mar 9 so that will resolve the issue in part. Still, toooo funny.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #60
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,388
I think it's "only" 15mil for the new plate with a computer strip on the side, supposed to cure the problem of people using the same plate for different vehicles? I gave mi amigo un poder so he can do it for me. I think you pay at the bank?
Tuanis!
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote