User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #91
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,070
Walking around the corral, found some interesting items

Saw this little grill and thought ¨cool, a bbq to watch the cows as you eat their relatives¨...

Then I took a closer look at the rods placed by the grill

That was no bbq...that was for heating up the branding irons....for these guys.

Ok, here´s another one...the guayaba...there will be a quiz!

Always something growing on something else

I have no idea...

Limón grande

The morning was getting hot and it was time to do some riding in search of matapalo and carate beaches to the west...soon.

pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #92
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

I left Puerto Jimenez around 930am Saturday for playa Matapalo, bought some tuna and bread for a simple lunch, bottle of water and headed out on the "lastre" road, a rock / gravel combination. 3 kilometers outside of town, going down a hill towards a stream and I hear a "phat" and loose quite a bit of control of the bike...rear flat, nearly instantaneous.

Well, it had to happen "en algún momento". I had everything with me except....spare tube. Ok, I have my patches, let's see what it is, and how bad.

Ok, that's probably it.

I take the tube out, leaving the tire on and pump up the tube, it takes a little while, but I finally get enough air in to find the whole. Patch on, and I pump it up again...better, but still some hissing. I look some more and....ok...there's 1...and another...that makes 3....ok there's two more......all together there are 8 holes, or more. I swear about two seconds after realizing that this tube wasn't repairable, the first pick-up to come by stops, a tico wearing dark sunglasses, about 25, rolls down the window and asks if everything is ok, if I don't need help. I explain what I've done and say that if it's not too much trouble, yeah! I could use a lift back to P.J. Two others jump out of the truck, Nilsen and the other guy I can't remember. Nilsen jumps into the back of the pickup and the other two and I grab the bike and lift it up and in. Nilsen stays on the bike and I grab my trunk and tools and hop in. A few minutes later I'm at the "taller" and waiting for Andrés to install a new tube. The 3 Ticos won't accept any "gas money" and just want me to know that there are still lots of good Ticos...I tell him that I don't doubt it in the least.

Perlita at the doctor's office:

I wait about 45 minutes for Andrés to finish another job. Then his assistant runs somewhere to pick up another tube...I shout out, "mejor dos, por si aca" and 10 minutes later he brings back two so that I really do have a spare for the next time.

Andrés and helper installing new tube

Took him just a few minutes and I was ready to roll. Total charge: $19.50 for both tubes and for labor. Ok. I gave him a 10,000 colón bill, the equivalent of $20 and he said he'd have to run next door to get the change....I tell him that's all right...the heat convinced me that the 50 cents wasn't worth waiting. So...Gracias nice Tico maes, you saved me lots of toil I'm sure.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #93
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,368
That is a Heleconia (the no idea plant)
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #94
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
That is a Heleconia (the no idea plant)
Dang! That's pretty good! Is that English or Spanish? I asked my sis in law and she said it doesn't sound familiar to her. Gracias

Mike told me the name of so many plants / animals / bugs and I didn't have my notebook with me so I lost track after awhile.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #95
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

After the flat, headed out again for the Matapalo. Lunchtime...found a nice little isolated beach, the only company were a couple of iguanitas.

Getting closer to Matapalo, the first little river crossing was about 6-8" deep. Watched a car cross through first because the water was so dirty. Once I saw how deep it was, went forward. Perlita pass her first quiz.

This looks perty...

Lots of "dangerous current" signs around so I didn't go in very deep. Nobody else out here. Apparently Matapalo is good for surfing.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #96
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

I had wanted to make it Carate, but with the flat tire delay I stayed in the Matapalo area and enjoyed the beach and some of the wildlife. More "lapas" tucked away in the tree tops.

Cariblanca

It was getting late and I was supposed to go to some wedding reception so I started heading back...same "quebrada" crossings as before.

Back in P. Jimenez in time to take in an afternoon soccer game...the ref wore no shoes.

The games always bring out friends and family

A few shots of the bay

Back at Mike's, missed the reception but found some other interesting things. It doesn't go to waste.

Life seems simple for a bachelor farmer...not so sure that it is

Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #97
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

How to capture 5-6 hours of conversation with Mike regarding the politics of the Osa Peninsula from his point of view? I'll try a paragraph...in his words, not verbatim of course....

>>You hear the term "ecológico" and you think "conservation, green, good for the planet, protects animals" things like this. You hear of "Parque Nacional Corcovado" and you think "good, the CR government is doing what's necessary to protect large areas of forest intact". I hear these terms and I want to throw up. I mean, they sounded nice in the beginning, even to us who have lived here for a long time. (When Mike says these words, he practically spits them out). But to us these words sound like slavery words. What they mean in reality is that we can no longer fish the gulf. We used to fish and bring in what we needed...no commercial fishing, just enough for what we needed or could sell locally. The big fishing companies changed that. We used to hunt... we wanted a tree for finishing a structure, we cut it down...now you have to get permission from MINAI to use a fallen tree for lumber. We're supposed to leave it rot...they think it produces less carbon than if we burn it. BURN IT?!? Who the f*ck wants to burn it! We want to use it for building, to make a corral, to make furniture...they told us that the carbon doesn't escape as fast if the wood is left to rot! ...Pura mierda el gobierno de CR...They want to build a marina in P.Jimenez and they have to bring in tons and tons of material to fill in one area, sand, rocks and such....the owners don't have any problem requesting the materials because it's an "ecologically sound" project that will create new jobs--dock workers, mechanics, restaurant...have they done any analysis on the long term effects on the quality of the water? Noooo, that might show it to be less "ecological" than what was presented. But if I want to bring in the same type of rock and sand to improve my driveway, the permit is denied! What does the government what? I'll tell you what they don't want...they don't want to pay us old timers a fair price for our lands so they can protect the environment for future generations, hell, they don't even want to pay us a third of what the markets says our lands are worth. They don't want "sustainability" for us...because we wouldn't sell, we wouldn't leave. So what do they want? They want to bound and gag us with all their restrictions so that we'll just give up, leave our lands out of frustration, die off maybe...that way they can get their hands on our lands without paying anything...and all that money that comes from these international organizations that give CR money to pay us decent prices for our lands? Where does that money go? Into the very pockets of the politician's that sell the idea of "green" to the international community, that's where that money goes.

So what do you think you will do?

Maybe I'll sell at some point. Maybe move to Panamá...maybe buy a small finca somewhere else, just enough cows to make life interesting. Maybe not.<<

--Mike
Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #98
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Mike's living room, kitchen, dining room all rolled into one. The roof is zinc and there are no glass windows, nothing much separates the farm and the kitchen

The two of us...

When several locals suggest a route that they think you'd enjoy, it's worth listening to. The voices told me to look for San Juan after Rincón, that it would take me to a ferry cross the Río Serpe, that it would be shorter than going back on the "carretera" to the interamericana. My question each time was "will my bike handle it"...usually the response is "sure, no problem"...this time they would look at my bike, then look at me..."maybe it will". Hmmmm...

The ups and downs were pretty spectacular...as usual pics don't do it justice.

I had no idea what Perlita was capable of...with a 28 inch seat height wich allowed my feet to be used as rudders and a red line at 10,500rpm it was simply a question of letting first gear just pull you right up! I was pleasantly shocked at what it was able to climb...loose rock and dirt and it never really hesitated.

From the hiway to the ferry it was about 20 kilometers of up/down, every now and then passed by the 12 year old boy on his dirt bike speeding by me as if I were parked.

That's Río Sierpe where there's a ferry crossing somewhere.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #99
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Getting near the ferry

The ferry won't take just one motorcycle, so I had to wait about 20 minutes for a car to arrive, cars pay $12 and bikes $5.

The interamericana on the way back to P.Zeledón, very hot and dry

Washed out here and there

Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #100
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Time to finish off the ride home last Sunday. The interamericana turns north around Paso Real and there was very little in the way of anything. Did notices some signs for different indigenous communities. The students and I were set to visit one such community soon, so I didn't feel like stopping with the heat and humidity.

After Buenos Aires intersection there were two things more of interest to me. Anything to do with agricultural production is worth a stop. Pineapple...

And the sugarcane...

When I got back to Perez, I filled up Perlita and these guys, a Harley chapter from San José were happy to show off a little.

A very good three day weekend trip. Coming up, CR's version of bullfight / rodeo and visit to the indigenous community of the Bri-Bri...
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #101
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Muy interesante

>>You hear the term "ecológico" and you think "conservation, green, good for the planet, protects animals" things like this. You hear of "Parque Nacional Corcovado" and you think "good, the CR government is doing what's necessary to protect large areas of forest intact". I hear these terms and I want to throw up. I mean, they sounded nice in the beginning, even to us who have lived here for a long time. (When Mike says these words, he practically spits them out). But to us these words sound like slavery words.

Facinante!
I was very interested by the map. I had looked at that area of CR before but it's very confusing. There is that road on the right side of the peninsula, but nothing on the left. Then there is this huge Parque Nacional Corcovado. But the strange thing is that I tried and tried to find a road or a dirt path into it, but I could not find one. It's interesting what he said about protection for the wrong reasons. It would be like saving Yellowstone or any other national park...but now they can't be used at all. How do you get into that Parque Nacional? Or do you not?
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #102
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Building in CR

I'm also interested what you have found out about building in CR. You have the lote...but it seems like they will be controlling the type of structure you will build. Do you have info already on the type of house / shop you will be able to build? How does the government get involved with the building process? your friend had some serious doubts it seems with regard to how the government processes are helping or not helping the right people. It's interesting how individual municipalities control building and structures. For example, north of here. (gallatin) in Daviess county...no building permits needed...but they control the water rights. SO you might own 600 acres of land, but you only get one access to water, so unless you want to build a bunch of wells, you can't really subdivide the property and develop it. Other areas have CC&R's with regard to what can be built. Size, materials etc. You are going to be goint through quite the process there in your pequeno lote...It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Lots of questions arise....in your shop area, could you have a kitchenette and a place for people to sleep who are traveling through...or would that be against the laws of the land? Eso se va a poner muy interesante!
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #103
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
I was very interested by the map. I had looked at that area of CR before but it's very confusing. There is that road on the right side of the peninsula, but nothing on the left. Then there is this huge Parque Nacional Corcovado. But the strange thing is that I tried and tried to find a road or a dirt path into it, but I could not find one. It's interesting what he said about protection for the wrong reasons. It would be like saving Yellowstone or any other national park...but now they can't be used at all. How do you get into that Parque Nacional? Or do you not?
The lastre road (rock / gravel) leaving P. Jimenez goes around the under side and ends at Carate. Look at Drake on the upper side of the Peninsula. These are the two access areas as I understand it into the P.N. Corcorvado, somebody with more experience in this area will correct me. I'm pretty sure there are some other very minor roads that are 4 wheel drive roads. It was cool talking to him, kind of reminded me of Fidel Castro speeches back in the day. He's a good dude, just sad about some of his everyday realities, but not to the point of being overly bitter--he's too much into living life, has tons of friends to let it bother him too much.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #104
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Yeah, there are some things that need doing, but don't forget--this is my Tica wife's project so she has all this under control...and she loves doing this sort of thing, I just get out of her way.

There is a foundation study that needs to be done, but the lote already has water and electricity ready to be hooked up. The area is limited to building three structures on each lote if I remember right. But that's a restriction that the community has placed on the lotes, not necessarily a government one.

The plan is for the house, 3 bedrooms, and a simple garage-shop for car and moto. Later we'll build guest house if money is there.

Qué divertido...of course it'll be open house for adv riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
I'm also interested what you have found out about building in CR. You have the lote...but it seems like they will be controlling the type of structure you will build. Do you have info already on the type of house / shop you will be able to build? How does the government get involved with the building process? your friend had some serious doubts it seems with regard to how the government processes are helping or not helping the right people. It's interesting how individual municipalities control building and structures. For example, north of here. (gallatin) in Daviess county...no building permits needed...but they control the water rights. SO you might own 600 acres of land, but you only get one access to water, so unless you want to build a bunch of wells, you can't really subdivide the property and develop it. Other areas have CC&R's with regard to what can be built. Size, materials etc. You are going to be goint through quite the process there in your pequeno lote...It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Lots of questions arise....in your shop area, could you have a kitchenette and a place for people to sleep who are traveling through...or would that be against the laws of the land? Eso se va a poner muy interesante!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #105
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Monday night went with sis in law Olga and her son Chris to the rodeo / "bull fight", which is considerably different than bull fights you'll see in Mexico and Spain. It's an acquired taste.

The fair

Chris and company

There's a striking resemblance between the two of us.

Oh my...

They're getting the bulls into the ring...

On the side of their vehicle, kind of a cute emblem.

Bring on the bulls...

Starting to fill up

Preliminary action: you take off your shoe and throw it at the "llantas". If you get your shoe to land inside the tire, you win immediately and you're given a Toyota t-shirt. If you miss, they yell for you to throw the other shoe. If no one makes it, the winner is the one whose shoe lands closest.

Chris thew his, but didn't get very close. Olga kept hers on.