ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Earliest Time to Ride Lost Coast?

I'm thinking about doing a trip from NW Oregon down to the Lost Coast area for an extended weekend. What's going to be the earliest to go down there where it won't be raining the whole time, cold, and just nasty? March? April? Later?

Also, anybody know of an online map of trails, camping areas, etc. I can use to route plan?

Thanks!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
K. L. Rocket
Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer: 966
Usal Rd/CR 431 is closed seasonally approximately November 15 through April 15.

"Actual closure date will be determined by the
County Road Commissioner based upon seasonal conditions. The road will be closed to vehicular traffic
by installing one locking gate across the road at each end of a segment of Usal Road. The road closure
would block off approximately 18 miles of Usal Road between the Four Corners intersection and Hotel
Gulch. The first gate will be placed northeast of Hotel Gulch leaving access to Usal Beach and
campground from State Hwy 1. The second gate will be placed south of Briceland Road allowing access
to Bear Harbor Campground, Shelter Cove, and the Kings Range from Shelter Cove Road and Redway."
http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/pd...on_Usal_Rd.pdf

Road status: http://www.co.mendocino.ca.us/dot/roadClosures.htm

Lost Coast ADV thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I'm thinking about doing a trip from NW Oregon down to the Lost Coast area for an extended weekend. What's going to be the earliest to go down there where it won't be raining the whole time, cold, and just nasty? March? April? Later?

Also, anybody know of an online map of trails, camping areas, etc. I can use to route plan?

Thanks!

Rob

K. L. Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Rob.G OP
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Thanks... okay looks like later April then. Thanks for the link too. I did a couple of searches, didn't come up with that one.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
>"What's going to be the earliest to go down there where it won't be raining the whole time, cold, and just nasty? March? April? Later?"

Well, the last 4 days were good on the Lost Coast, sunny days but cold nights. (Note: We usually have a 'nice' spell in January).

That said, it usually doesn't stop raining on the North Coast until July through mid-September. At that point, you're often getting typical summer weather... fog on the coast and sunshine inland. Hopefully, the fog blows away on the coast during the afternoons, but that means wind.

I recommend Benchmark Maps... California (and other states). Good for route planning.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=benchmark+maps&sprefix=benchmark+maps%2Caps%2C725
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Hobbes950
Darth Kitten

Oddometer: 3,502
Check the link in my sig. There is a map there with a nice route (which we unfortunately did not ride.) It is all roads; dirt and twisties, not trails, but it is a start.

My Ride Reports
Hobbes950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
don't know any online resources, but tony huegel's coastal byways book describes a number of dirt and gravel roads in the lost coast and surrounding areas in detail... definitely recommended

http://www.backcountrybyways.com/calicoast.shtml

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote