User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Honkey Cat OP
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,061
A Southern Tool Adventure To The Great Northeast

This is not my first adventure by far but my first ride report here. It will be more pictorial as I am not an efitionado ( prob spelled wrong )at writing. I will be riding for two weeks in New Jersey, New York & Pennsylvania. I have no plans on where to ride or stay as we are winging it, so bear with my poor writting skills and enjoy the RR

Day 1.

Destination: Sanford, fl amtrak auto train

I left my house at 8 am. It was raining lightly so I put on my rain gear in expectation of alot more rain which ended up being a smart decision.

I decided to take the back roads since I did not want to travel i-75 in the now pouring rain. I got off i75 in Ellenton and headed east on 301. There really is not much to see except open farmland, fields and a few mines along the way.

Here I was stopping for the train probally loading material from the mine.

Along the way i came across an old gulf service station ( i love old signs & bldgs) so i stopped to take a picture, after i noticed the street sign. There were no hookers there.

I had to stop to get a picture of this crane, it was huge. I always wanted to check one out real close in person but that will have to wait as im on a time crunch

I finally met my buddy in Sanford, fl at the train station and we loaded up the bikes on the train. I ride the mighty dr650 he rides the wimpy xr650l

I realized quickly we were the youngest two guys there.

I meant to take more photos on the train but my phone died.
The train is awesome you go to bed and you wake up in lorton, VA. I did not sleep well on the train as we were right by the junction door between cars so people were going thru it all night and its very noisy door.

Day 2

I wake up at 6 am to the sound as best i can describe it a fog horn that will not turn off ( guy behind me snorring ) i looked out the window of the train and noticed that virginia has lots of sugar sand like florida which is good since im in shorts and flip flops and all my gear is strapped to the bike

I decided to look at the weather radar and noticed that i might have left a week to early

We arrived at the lorton train depo around 11am ( which is 2 hrs late ) normally the bikes are off loaded first but for some reason not today so while everyone is dressed in there winter clothes im left standing there in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. I failed to plan for that.

Here is the bike as im off loading it. I quickly learned its not sugar sand.

Now i had planned on basecamp all back roads for the most part to the ferry in lewes,deleware to cape may, new jersey. Normally this would be about a 2.5 hour ride but as usual when im on a trip the garmin always acts up and all thr routes and tracks i spent days preparring are gone off the unit even tho they were there two days ago. So with no map ( big mistake i wont make again ) i decided to use my phone which of course wants to take the major highways. So off we go in 30 degrees with snow and ice. After riding for about 15 minuites i thought to myself what the hell and i doing, i cant see my helmet is so foggy i cant see, my glasses are also foggy and as the snow hits my face shield and melts why wouldnt it start to ice up. Well i guess it would not be an adventure if it was easy. We pull off the road at mc donalds for some route planning and to warm up as my water proof gloves turns out are not waterproof.

At this point we are frozen i think i still have toes as i can not feel them and we decide to get a hotel since we will never make the last ferry at 4:15. We travelled for 3 hours and we only went 50 miles. We had only made it to upper marlboro maryland. I will get better at pics for the rest of my trip.