ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
2012 Gas Gas EC 300 E-Start

It's been in the works, picked this up the other day.
2012 Gas Gas EC 300 E-Start

From the get go the farkles are:
Hyde Pipe Guard & Skid Plate
TUBliss Front & Rear (I've had good luck)
Bullet Proof Billet Radiator Guards
Rekluse Clutch Cover (Not installed yet)
Fork Air Bleeders
Cycra ProBend bar busters
BRP Billet clamps for Cycra probends
JD Jet Kit
Tugger (Front & Rear but only front on right now)

I also will do a Scott Shark Fin for rear disc protection and I ordered a Acerbis 1.3 Gallon fork tank for those long rides it then puts me at 4 gallons for now till someone comes out with a bigger tank.

Now for some pictures:

Little stuff it comes with, keys to lock the steering head...as this is the e-start it has a keyed ignition. Owners Manual, basic cheapo tools. Obviously I have a box of the original parts like skid plate, jets and stuff.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Very sweet bike, congrats

So just for discussion, what made you get a Gas Gas over the KTM. Any real differences?
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post

So just for discussion, what made you get a Gas Gas over the KTM. Any real differences?
I'm no expert on 2-strokes, I have not ridden a 2-stroke since the 1984 Honda CR60 sitting in my entertainment room...LOL

I like to be different, their is a sea of orange...I'm not one to bash other brands because I like them all. The reviews you can find on the Gas Gas's seem to be top notch when it comes to handling and quality components out of the box.

I needed a lighter bike was my main driving force to get something. Plus price on this was low being a 2012 and it being winter. I was really considering a Christini 300 which also has the Gas Gas engine but figured that was too unique for parts and support.

Actually the Importer of Gas Gas and I have something in common, he is located in TN in Nashville and he rides at a 17,000 acre private place and I happen to know the family through my mother...so we plan to maybe ride this august when I go back...I plan to drive and now I'm really considering hauling the gas gas on the hitch carrier. Small world we live in.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
papa_j
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
That is sexy. I have really liked my 2011 gas gas 300.
papa_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
rwhittak3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
That is one sexy bike.
rwhittak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
modette OP
RMAR

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,364
That is a pretty piece of machinery right there Mark! That will be better suited for riding around Rico when you are here for RMAR!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,708
Nice bike. So is Clay the friend of your family. I meet him once, Clay is a great guy.

Do you have any plans for a quick air screw adjustment for elevation changes. I use to be a 4t guy. But with prices over 10k, I need to rethink my trail bike. One thing that always concerns me is the constant need to adjust the air screw. Recently I've seen some remote adjustment cables that move the point of contact up to the handle bars. That seems like a ok solution to this problem.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,061
Now it's a sea of red around here. I believe VxZ just picked up a '13 last week.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post

I just picked up a 2012 XC300E myself there were many things which made me choose the Gasser over a KTM. Like modette said, there is the whole being different aspect but the two main reasons for me were size and handling. I've ridden a 09 300 XCW and a 11 300 XC and while the motors felt good I just couldn't get over the handling, they both felt about as stable as a roller skate going down the trail. Also the cockpit on the Gasser is considerably smaller than the KTM or even my Husky. I'm 5'9" and when i first rode the Gasser it just felt right, usually changing grips or bars on my own bike has me off kilter for a few rides so everything feeling comfy right out of the gate was a green light for me.

Hijack Off.

Modette, how does your estart work when it's cold? Mine just spins when it's below freezing until the bike warms up and then it engages like one would expect. My dealer says you can shim the starter to alleviate this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Now it's a sea of red around here. I believe VxZ just picked up a '13 last week.
speak of the devil

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 02:35 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 648
The Red Sea here in the Rockies...

Sexy red bike you got there!!

But where's the ultimate farkle for a 2T- The License Plate? Can you still plate a bike like that in Colorado?
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill Dave View Post
Sexy red bike you got there!!

But where's the ultimate farkle for a 2T- The License Plate? Can you still plate a bike like that in Colorado?
Don't think it is going to be an issue, the stock tires are DOT and the MSO says nothing about offroad only, mirrors and a horn and we should be GTG.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Don't think it is going to be an issue, the stock tires are DOT and the MSO says nothing about offroad only, mirrors and a horn and we should be GTG.
No issue, I just mailed today the paperwork back to Fritz in Gunnison and they will mail me a temp tag. I financed the bike (hate to say it) but ENT said as long as the MSO does not say off-road only (which it does not nor does it state that its a 2-stroke) they will like other things convert the MSO to Title for me...LOL I should have a real plate in 30 days. Oh and because its not an OFF ROAD bike ENT gave me the low interest rate.

In fact one of the papers I had to sign is a Title and/or Registration Application. I have full coverage insurance...runs me $74 a year with a $250 deductible.

I have a walk around video processing now. So in a bit I will get that up.

The bike starts fine thus when it is cold out...check my video above out. True today is not below freezing but the engine was stone cold for that video...pretty straight forward. With the XR650R I probably would of still been kicking...LOL
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Horn and mirror!!! I don't even need to do the inspection...lol Dealer signed off on the MSO, bank gets it and they convert it to a Title. You only need to do an inspection if you are buying from a private party who can not sign off on the MSO.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Horn and mirror!!! I don't even need to do the inspection...lol Dealer signed off on the MSO, bank gets it and they convert it to a Title. You only need to do an inspection if you are buying from a private party who can not sign off on the MSO.
I bought out of state so I have to get a VIN inspection I believe, and based on past experience our county inspector is pretty persnickety so I'm going to throw those on just in case, I already have takeoffs lying around so...

I didn't see your video, just checked it out. I love how quiet these bikes are.