ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #31
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I think it is just a modern 4t overview, my Husky certainly had some of those issues.
So do my Hondas, usally a result of folks who have no business working on a motorcycle. I see allot of orange out there. Last ride in the Swell we had riders from 3 different states come out, one Honda, one Yamaha, 6 KTMs, sorta speaks for itself.

Nice Bike Mark, sorry for the hijack.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 AM   #32
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,885
Quote:
I think it is just a modern 4t overview, my Husky certainly had some of those issues.

As to whoops, it's a woods bike, but I can tell you now it'll pound whoops better than a 4t euro trailbike no problem. I'm going to move the 310 and get a 450/5XX 4t for pure desert duty though, as trying to compromise sucks.
My thoughts exactly! I want/need a dedicated desert bike.

I do think that the GasGas would do great out there though. But, like you say, here we go again trying to have one bike do it all!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
So what did you guys have to pay for the bikes only, no farkles? PM me if you want, I want one too

I rode a 2012 GG300 kicker and the front wheel felt very planted compared to the pumpkin bike and was superior in turning/ holding a line/even changing lines. Much more stable in a straight line. Trials bike heritage, great lugging motor and has some top end power.

And you don't have kick stands that break off, wheel bearings failing like no other bike, EFI problems, gas lines that fail brand new, triple clamps that break, wonder bread seat foam, low budget cylinder plating, high oil consumption, oil transfer between isolated chambers, and a host of other problems that shouldn't happen.....KTM Talk says it all
Are you the guy in this video?

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #34
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Let's compare apples to apples. KTM 300s have none of those problems. Maybe the only one that is valid is the seat foam.
I have a Gasser trials bike in addition to my KTMs. I have put more repair dollars into that one two year old trials bike,than all my KTMs.

Edit. Don't bring up the 950. :

Btw, I can't wait to hear how you guys like em in the whoops. It should be brilliant in the woods!

I BOUGHT that 950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Luv the non applicable generalizations, have you even owned a ktm 2t? I abuse the crap out of mine never had those issues nor has any of my riding buddies, if that's your personal expierence you probably need to find a mechanic and quit working on it yourself.
And sometimes your 300 abuses YOU! Wait a minute, My orange 525 abuses me too, so maybe it's user error. Maybe the orange 300s are so light they don't have the kickstand problems. A lot of folks, myself included have had kickstand failures on KTM 4Ts. But hey, if it doesn't fail, then you can't justify a PMB replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
So what did you guys have to pay for the bikes only, no farkles? PM me if you want, I want one too

I rode a 2012 GG300 kicker and the front wheel felt very planted compared to the pumpkin bike and was superior in turning/ holding a line/even changing lines. Much more stable in a straight line. Trials bike heritage, great lugging motor and has some top end power.

And you don't have kick stands that break off, wheel bearings failing like no other bike, EFI problems, gas lines that fail brand new, triple clamps that break, wonder bread seat foam, low budget cylinder plating, high oil consumption, oil transfer between isolated chambers, and a host of other problems that shouldn't happen.....KTM Talk says it all
The seat foam on my 08' GG EC300 was way, WAY worse than anything my behind has ever sat on, short of concrete in January, and definitely worse than the stocker on my KTM. Wait, no, it was worse than concrete in January. I did a little modification that helped a lot. That said, the bike has been very good to me otherwise. Out of the box it's a fair bit shorter than its orange 300 counterpart, and that was a key buying point for me. The chassis feels more like a 175 than a 300. There's a lot of parts crossover, and I've even cannibalized back and forth with my 525 to make a Sunday ride possible.

The price? Definitely less than orange if you go used. Mine was a leftover and it was less than half of list. All in all, the KTMs hold their value while the GGs quickly depreciate.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post

The price? Definitely less than orange if you go used. Mine was a leftover and it was less than half of list. All in all, the KTMs hold their value while the GGs quickly depreciate.
That is one thing I will never understand. I never buy something to HOLD value, I buy it to use it. But then I'm not trading in a motorcycle every year or two...I ride it till it dies and then maybe some. I'll have the GG for 10 years...what type of value will I expect out of it then...LOL

I also view what was the value I got from riding/driving the vehicle. It's how I sold my FZ1...guy even asked if I was okay with the price, sure I could of gotten a little more but I was fine at the price I listed it because I factored that I got X amount of fun out of it. I'm never int he market of a vehicle to try and reclaim a ton of money.

So the GG could go down $4K by next year and it don't matter to me.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #36
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
That is one thing I will never understand. I never buy something to HOLD value, I buy it to use it. But then I'm not trading in a motorcycle every year or two...I ride it till it dies and then maybe some. I'll have the GG for 10 years...what type of value will I expect out of it then...LOL

I also view what was the value I got from riding/driving the vehicle. It's how I sold my FZ1...guy even asked if I was okay with the price, sure I could of gotten a little more but I was fine at the price I listed it because I factored that I got X amount of fun out of it. I'm never int he market of a vehicle to try and reclaim a ton of money.

So the GG could go down $4K by next year and it don't matter to me.
That was my decision too, I bought this bike to ride. It isn't an investment, just a toy financially speaking, so I decided to choose the one that felt best to ride. From all accounts it should last a while, but if I get 2 years of good riding out of it I'll be happy.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #37
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,732
That's the right attitude. Buy it. Ride it. Repeat if necessary. I only mentioned the depreciation because the guy asked about price. I feel like I got my Gasser for a steal, so my my fun=X value is through the roof.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #38
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
That's the right attitude. Buy it. Ride it. Repeat if necessary. I only mentioned the depreciation because the guy asked about price. I feel like I got my Gasser for a steal, so my my fun=X value is through the roof.
That certainly sweetens the deal!

Modette, are the Bullet Proof radiator guards the same across all years? I checked their site and it only listed 07/08 so I went with the Enduro Engineering braces, which certainly are an inferior product but should suit my purposes.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #39
TooFast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Apparently it's unaminous

video?[/QUOTE]
TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,549
Damm KTM 4 stroker kickstands!!!!

Good thing we found this on the trail. Saved us some time to get to the important things, like getting to Taos
to have a brew at Eskees.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #41
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
That certainly sweetens the deal!

Modette, are the Bullet Proof radiator guards the same across all years? I checked their site and it only listed 07/08 so I went with the Enduro Engineering braces, which certainly are an inferior product but should suit my purposes.
Mike at Timberline said he had them specially made and he knew of one other red one in the whole United States. So it might be a thing where you have to call them and see. It's why I grabbed them right up when he showed them too me, they are just pretty and functional.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Mike at Timberline said he had them specially made and he knew of one other red one in the whole United States. So it might be a thing where you have to call them and see. It's why I grabbed them right up when he showed them too me, they are just pretty and functional.
Advantage Orange:

Purdiest bling on my bike by far.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #43
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

I threw on the EE braces and the package was labeled 07-12 so maybe the one's on their site would work. I could always get the raw ones and have them anno'd red locally.

At any rate I put those, a EE shark fin, and some HDB hand guards on tonight. Still debating what to do about a skid.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #44
mylsmkj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
That was my decision too, I bought this bike to ride. It isn't an investment, just a toy financially speaking, so I decided to choose the one that felt best to ride. From all accounts it should last a while, but if I get 2 years of good riding out of it I'll be happy.
Tool not a jewel!
I was helping one of my buddies up in Idaho move and he had 12 and 20 guage 4-5K Benelli shotguns and I was being extra careful with them, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said "I use those for chukar hunting. they're tools not jewels"
mylsmkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #45
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/s...ewCat&catId=35
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote