ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #76
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
So can a Sawzall
true, but you can't cut a finger off with a zip tie
Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #77
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
Modette, If you were planning on getting a Hyde Racing pipe guard don't waste your time/money...
I don't know.. Sounds like user error to me.

Seriously though.. you gonna call Hyde and let them know they screwed the pooch on this one? I'd guess he has no clue that shit changed on the '12s. Down side of having one of those obscure Spanish bikes. I'll shoot you the guy's contact info.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #78
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Modette, If you were planning on getting a Hyde Racing pipe guard don't waste your time/money
Ummmm You do realize my first picture shows a Hyde Guard on a 2012?

modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #79
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,418
This thread is turning into a daily journal.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #80
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
I don't know.. Sounds like user error to me.

Seriously though.. you gonna call Hyde and let them know they screwed the pooch on this one? I'd guess he has no clue that shit changed on the '12s. Down side of having one of those obscure Spanish bikes. I'll shoot you the guy's contact info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Ummmm You do realize my first picture shows a Hyde Guard on a 2012?

I'm sure it can be made to work, but it isn't exactly a bolt on part. Mine wasn't going to fit without some serious modification. If impatience and a maybe questionable inclination to use power tools to get what I want constitutes user error, then I am guilty.

For the money it could be a little better thought out. That being said I kept the part that I wanted and it seems to be working against rock and drains sand well. Even just the pipe guard with the one frame mount is better than any alternative floating pipe guard, so I'll keep it until it's dead. I suspect that will take a while.

I was definitely more upset about the situation earlier than I am now after using it. If this ends up lasting I'd be inclined to buy another one and make the same modification. Then again it'd be neat to spend slightly more and buy a plastic welder and a sheet of hpde and go to town.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 04:13 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #81
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
.. so I'll keep it until it's dead. I suspect that will take a while.
Well that's good.. appears you have some other repairs to spend cash on.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #82
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well that's good.. appears you have some other repairs to spend cash on.

Gotta love low speed tip overs.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #83
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:

Gotta love low speed tip overs.
Hey.. could be worse... think I just killed the tranny on my 300 yesterday.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #84
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey.. could be worse... think I just killed the tranny on my 300 yesterday.
Damn, you'll just have to put in a six speed. Or get a shiny red bike that already comes with one

Sorry though, that sucks.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #85
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Damn, you'll just have to put in a six speed. Or get a shiny red bike that already comes with one

Sorry though, that sucks.
No chance to diagnose yet.. but seems there's some less severe possibilities.

Gotta keep this thing running until the Ossa gets to the US.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #86
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,086
That's okay...my kickstand snapped the 12.9 Grade bolt I put in off while in my living-room. All I did was turn the bars and I here pop (I was playing with that Acrebis 1.3 Gallon Fork Tank). Maybe a defective bolt so back out to the garage it went and I drilled out the bolt and will try one more...if it does it again I will tap out and put in a bigger bolt...LOL I'm sure a bigger bolt would fix the issue if there is one.

By the way how do you get the rubber tubing to go straight down into that tank, it wants to curl back up. Or once I add fuel will it soften up and thus lay at the bottom??? I'm wondering if adding the Fuel Petcock to the small tank is a better option!!!
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #87
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,418
Kickstand issues? How KTMish is that?

You are starting to move me toward a 2T for a trail bike. Although I still see the value in a nice Husaberg FE390. They are easy on the wrists, tires and just about all the other ware items.

2Ts remind me of handling fireworks. You light the fuse, and watch it burn. All the time thinking that gee this isn't so bad. Then comes the bang and you realize that you weren't prepared for that.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #88
papa_j
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
You are lucky . . .

Quote:
That's okay...my kickstand snapped the 12.9 Grade bolt I put in off while in my living-room. All I did was turn the bars and I here pop (I was playing with that Acrebis 1.3 Gallon Fork Tank).

You are lucky it was just a bolt. That Spanish Inquisition Karate Chop m'f'er of a kick stand almost broke my fibula! I will never scratch my balls while the kickstand is down again!

papa_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #89
thump_co
..ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Kickstand issues? How KTMish is that?

You are starting to move me toward a 2T for a trail bike. Although I still see the value in a nice Husaberg FE390. They are easy on the wrists, tires and just about all the other ware items.

2Ts remind me of handling fireworks. You light the fuse, and watch it burn. All the time thinking that gee this isn't so bad. Then comes the bang and you realize that you weren't prepared for that.
You need to steal one for a day. I think you'd find it pleasantly surprising how smooth a 300 can be tuned these days. You can keep the hit way up high so you only get it when you really want it (or you accidentally whiskey throttle and send it flyin ).

Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #90
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
That's okay...my kickstand snapped the 12.9 Grade bolt I put in off while in my living-room. All I did was turn the bars and I here pop (I was playing with that Acrebis 1.3 Gallon Fork Tank). Maybe a defective bolt so back out to the garage it went and I drilled out the bolt and will try one more...if it does it again I will tap out and put in a bigger bolt...LOL I'm sure a bigger bolt would fix the issue if there is one.

By the way how do you get the rubber tubing to go straight down into that tank, it wants to curl back up. Or once I add fuel will it soften up and thus lay at the bottom??? I'm wondering if adding the Fuel Petcock to the small tank is a better option!!!
I assume you mean the rubber tube that goes down into the Acerbis tank. Yes it will soften up and lie more straight up and down, but remember, its gonna flop all over in there anyway. You only get about 75-80% of the fuel out of that tank on a good day.

I used one of those fork mount tanks on my YZ250 2T way back in the day. I had all kinds of trouble with mine, so I bit the bullet and bought a bigger Acerbis tank. I'm sure the after market tank selection is pretty slim for your '12. My '02 GG 250XC has a Clarke unit on it. Holds 3+ gallons. I'd love to pick up a stock tank for it. That Clarke tank has enough fuel for about 100 miles.

The kickstand on my '02 has a return spring on it with constant tension. As soon as you lift the bike at all, it snaps back. If you aren't careful either the bike falls down or you get clocked just below the knee or both! I have a scar on my leg from the first time it did that. There is a fix for that to allow the stand to get past the top of the arc and stay down until it is pushed back in place like every other kick stand in the world, but I've never taken the time to do it.