ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #91
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,906
Yea you can really grunt these 300s through the trails,no need to rev the piss out of em.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #92
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Then comes the bang and you realize that you weren't prepared for that.
Like thump said, modern 2Ts are very tunable nowadays, MX hit, no prob, trials type knarl, no prob, they'll lug down to about 200rpms and pull away cleanly.

I know this is a red thread but this vid is too cool.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #93
modette OP
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I assume you mean the rubber tube that goes down into the Acerbis tank. Yes it will soften up and lie more straight up and down, but remember, its gonna flop all over in there anyway. You only get about 75-80% of the fuel out of that tank on a good day.

I used one of those fork mount tanks on my YZ250 2T way back in the day. I had all kinds of trouble with mine, so I bit the bullet and bought a bigger Acerbis tank. I'm sure the after market tank selection is pretty slim for your '12. My '02 GG 250XC has a Clarke unit on it. Holds 3+ gallons. I'd love to pick up a stock tank for it. That Clarke tank has enough fuel for about 100 miles.

The kickstand on my '02 has a return spring on it with constant tension. As soon as you lift the bike at all, it snaps back. If you aren't careful either the bike falls down or you get clocked just below the knee or both! I have a scar on my leg from the first time it did that. There is a fix for that to allow the stand to get past the top of the arc and stay down until it is pushed back in place like every other kick stand in the world, but I've never taken the time to do it.
hmmm maybe I will lean towards the petcock for the fork tank then. More likely to get closer to all the fuel out.

Yeah believe me I knew that be a downside on a newer bike having a limited (or no) aftermarket tank selection for now. Someone will make one it might be a year....although I heard Clarke was...but I just don't want to bump it to 3.4 gallons I would like a Safari style with the fuel radiator shrouds and maybe 5 gallons. That way I be good for any riding I do, and worst case I carry enough oil for one fill up.

Yeah I know about the $10 kickstand mod. I'm thinking I will do it. It's hard to put the kickstand down on soft terrain and then try and scoot a stick or rock under it to have the dang thing flop up on you. Silly European regulations on needing kickstands to automatically come up...I've never had an issue with that riding street bikes. I will say a billet heavy duty kickstand be worth while....well for now I'd be happy just having the bolt not snap...LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #94
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Like thump said, modern 2Ts are very tunable nowadays, MX hit, no prob, trials type knarl, no prob, they'll lug down to about 200rpms and pull away cleanly.

I know this is a red thread but this vid is too cool.
All my single track dreams will have to be put on hold for a while. I just bought back one of my old bikes. It's an 625 SXC. I think that this summer will be filled with backcountry riding.

That and maybe some trail clearing.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #95
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 939
Have you tried this? http://www.gasgasrider.org/

I have gained tons of info and found a bunch of parts suppliers just by thumbing through the forums there.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #96
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
That is a pretty piece of machinery right there Mark! That will be better suited for riding around Rico when you are here for RMAR!
Sweet GG. I hear Rico area has some great riding.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #97
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
All my single track dreams will have to be put on hold for a while. I just bought back one of my old bikes. It's an 625 SXC. I think that this summer will be filled with backcountry riding.

That and maybe some trail clearing.

Shit Tim, I wish someone would have told me the 625 wasn't for single track, I've been using it wrong all these years

My 625 has seen at least as many miles of single track as my 300s probably more. I would think it would be even happier in NM since you kids generally have fewer trees to navigate around that we do up here.

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #98
Hair
Outside the boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeeuro View Post
Shit Tim, I wish someone would have told me the 625 wasn't for single track, I've been using it wrong all these years

My 625 has seen at least as many miles of single track as my 300s probably more. I would think it would be even happier in NM since you kids generally have fewer trees to navigate around that we do up here.

And I have always thought that the single track around Salida has fewer corners. I know that I can ride the 625 on single track. And I probably will. But given the tires that I have on it, I am focused on DS.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #99
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
And I have always thought that the single track around Salida has fewer corners. I know that I can ride the 625 on single track. And I probably will. But given the tires that I have on it, I am focused on DS.
Tires are cheap and easy to change....
Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #100
Hair
Outside the boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Tires are cheap and easy to change....
The last time I priced 908s they were $140.00. Now they are around $230.00. I am still shell shocked.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #101
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,883
Quote:
Someone will make one it might be a year....although I heard Clarke was...but I just don't want to bump it to 3.4 gallons I would like a Safari style with the fuel radiator shrouds and maybe 5 gallons.
One nice feature of the Ogio Flight Vest is it's large side pockets in back - big enough to hold a few large Primus/MSR fuel bottles. The TE310's stock tank is 2.25, and even the IMS I put on is only 2.9.
You won't be getting 62mpg though My 440 EXC was doing good to get 23mpg.
My 250 EXC had a 3.4 IMS and it lasted quite a while.

I've bought quite a few tanks from these guys...

Clarke is a 3.2
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=1262

Safari a 3.6
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=1073

IMS only make '97-'99 and '00 - '04
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #102
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
The last time I priced 908s they were $140.00. Now they are around $230.00. I am still shell shocked.
I just did a quick Google and about fell out on my chair....
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #103
modette OP
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
One nice feature of the Ogio Flight Vest is it's large side pockets in back - big enough to hold a few large Primus/MSR fuel bottles. The TE310's stock tank is 2.25, and even the IMS I put on is only 2.9.
You won't be getting 62mpg though My 440 EXC was doing good to get 23mpg.
My 250 EXC had a 3.4 IMS and it lasted quite a while.

I've bought quite a few tanks from these guys...

Clarke is a 3.2
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=1262

Safari a 3.6
http://justgastanks.com/product_info...oducts_id=1073

IMS only make '97-'99 and '00 - '04
Yeah I have a contact at Justgastanks, I think they would let me try/test fit a 3.2 which would bump me up as of now I'm at 2.64 gallons to half a gallon. I'm just not sure seeing as the cost being $200...when that front fork tank was only $62. Now if we were talking bumped up to say at least to 4 gallons okay.

Anyways thank you Blake
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #104
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Yeah I have a contact at Justgastanks, I think they would let me try/test fit a 3.2 which would bump me up as of now I'm at 2.64 gallons to half a gallon. I'm just not sure seeing as the cost being $200...when that front fork tank was only $62. Now if we were talking bumped up to say at least to 4 gallons okay.

Anyways thank you Blake
what about the nomad tanks motosportz sells? those things are sweet and won't affect the bike's handling near as much as a for tank i'd think.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #105
modette OP
RMAR

Well today I got to ride the GG down the road, and on some trails. I also found out that the range is 62 miles....but lot of slow going due to snow and ice on the mountain road I was on. I have such a nice wife, called her up and said...SORRY bring the premix I almost made it home with maybe 4-5 miles to go.

I also meet my usual USFS ranger. We chitchatted he was showing me his book on exhaust. We did find where it says USFS approved, hidden under the plastic side panel. He also showed me what they actually are checking for with the metal rod. Also how that they are suppose to match up the design of the exhaust with schematics int he book...he said no one does that. Nice guy, I've chatted many times with him and it was me that stopped to say HI and offer to show the temp tag (I had in my backpack). Reason we talked about stuff is his words "some of these rangers are on a power trip and our asshole"...LOL

Anyways I went up, went to an area that does not get many people and I make tracks in the snow (hit and miss where there is snow a very light year). This bike is letting me ride at a whole new level, logs no issue and fun, steep hills not an issue and also fun. Drop the bike on ice, its so light to pickup. The rear tugger strap was used today...works great.

I decide to go and hit a road called Hotel Gulch. Solid ICE in one section, and its usually bad but this was nuts. It was so bad that further down a cabin near the creek had to of been flooded, and frozen solid in ICE...someone won't be happy come Spring/Summer when they see their log cabin destroyed. Also s car flooded and frozen solid...LOL Well this leads me to the next part of the story. I had no 2-stroke oil with me, and I tried but i could not get back up the road...in fact I slide down it out of control and that was probably crash 3 or 4 of the day.

So my options were to continue out to the main road and continue to Woodland Park or go Rainbow Falls back to where I came from. Thank God I opted for town. I get to town gas still seems fine. Okay not a huge deal back to my house is downhill all the way. So I feel good I can at least get out of the mountains.

I'm right, I get out...there was sputtering at a point so I did turn reserve on. That reserve does not last long on these bikes I'll tell you what. I get to my town of Monument, and guess what a cop going the other way. I wave, he waves, and he turns around after he notices no plate, no temp plate. I figured this would happen so not a huge deal. I stop, get out the temp plate, give license, give insurance card and he gives a little lecture...gives a warning and I'm on my way. I get through the blink your eye town and the bike finally dies. It was out of gas.

Oh well it was a great day, will be going out tomorrow too. Have a friend coming down from Denver and as he is a noob to off-road (well he took a school on off-road once many moons ago). He will be on the XR650R...it be an easy ride trying to stay off the snow/ice.

So is this the mileage I should expect?