User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
The pure electric car for the common man

I will be shopping for a new (or used) car to compliment my old toys - the 93 F-250 7.3 NA IDI, and the 81 VW Vanagon. I have been eyeballing electric car because they fit my need the best -- short trips to work and back, groceries and around town errands; and someone has to embrace the technology and buy into it, otherwise, they will go away.

Let's get couple of thing out first and let's not bring them up again. Crunching the math, it absolutely makes no economical sense or benefit in buying an a electric car. The cheapest I could drive an a electric vehicle is about $0.25/mile, not including insurance, registration, maintenance, and electricity. This is also on a 3 year lease. Buying one of these things would bring that number to $0.63/mile. You could bring this number down by either putting a lot of miles onto the vehicle, and selling it at fair market value when you get done with it after 5 years.

The second issue is battery life, long term maintenance, and waste. If I am looking into leasing this vehicle, it won't be my problem -- it will be someone else problem after 3 years... still... it's still a problem. I'm not buying this vehicle to offset the environment or save on gas, but I also don't want to create a new problem either.

Technology will be obsolete soon. Leasing makes more sense.

Distance, not an issue. If I have to take a longer trip I have a truck, van, or Enterprise; you rent they pick you up,

Capacity. See above.

Charging will not be an issue. I will get 220V charger at the house, and one will be provided by to me at work with my own designated EV parking.

But why even buy an electric car you ask? Someone has to do it, and help manufacturers bring alternatives to the market. The car just makes sense for what I will be using it, and might as well get on the band waggon.

Here is the kicker. I am looking at Nissan Leaf 36 month lease, at $199/month + $1000 deposit. I am not sure how these leases work, and if I would have to give them more money at the end. I calculated it would cost me $0.25/mile without charging, maintenance, insurance, registration and etc. In a sense, this would allow me to demo the technology for 3 years, and not feel stuck with something that may or may not go obsolete. Another thing I factored in is the fact that a new car would depreciate about the same amount it would cost to lease the Leaf. It's status quo. The total pay in ammount, not including charging, maintenance, and etc is $8164 for 3 years.

If the technology proves to be the way of the future, I would not be hesitant to lease the newer generation Nissan Leaf after 3 years.

What do you think guys? Help me with this lease math, and explain me the way of things.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,177
if it works for you, buy it (or lease it) sounds like a much better deal than the VW touareg I just leased

the leaf would have been perfect for me, I live 7 miles from work but there was the whole "fitting in the car" part which the leaf failed at for me
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Let's get couple of thing out first and let's not bring them up again. Crunching the math, it absolutely makes no economical sense or benefit in buying an a electric car. The cheapest I could drive an a electric vehicle is about $0.25/mile, not including insurance, registration, maintenance, and electricity. This is also on a 3 year lease. Buying one of these things would bring that number to $0.63/mile. You could bring this number down by either putting a lot of miles onto the vehicle, and selling it at fair market value when you get done with it after 5 years
Can you please let me know how you come up with those numbers? I am interested in buying an electric car as well but I am not really sure if it's worth it...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Honda Fit now has an all EV version which can be leased - in fact, that may be the only way to get one. This may give you some comparison or perhaps (I have no idea) get your per mile costs lower. It may be, at least initially, only available in certain markets.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
Can you please let me know how you come up with those numbers? I am interested in buying an electric car as well but I am not really sure if it's worth it...
The price of lease divided by miles you drive. In this case $199*36 months+$1000 non-refundable down payment divided by 36k miles. Nissan is also charging $0.25/per mile if you go over 36k
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Nissan Leaf seams to be unobtanium in this neck of the woods. It's so rare, that you are ten times more likely to see a Ferrari than an electric vehicle.

How much would a conversion cost?
Are there any companies out there doing conversions?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,567
I will add only that I am about 30 miles north of Seattle; I have been astonished at the number of Nissan Leafs I have seen in the Seattle area. They seem to be quite popular, especially with the dot com set.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Nissan Leaf seams to be unobtanium in this neck of the woods. It's so rare, that you are ten times more likely to see a Ferrari than an electric vehicle.

How much would a conversion cost?
Are there any companies out there doing conversions?
To get the same range as a leaf? Probably at least $25k

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

That's not bad, if it is done right, and if you could obtain a nice donor.. Nissan Versa Hatch or Volkswagen Bug gen before last.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Bumping this back to the top again. The Focus Electric looks aaamaaazing.. 36 months lease. Anyone leasing an electric car here?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 918
I have nothing to add to your technicalities, other than electric power is a much more viable option than a gasoline car if one wishes to save on the cost of vehicle ownership. Limited routine maintenance schedule, limited fill up cost, much quieter ride on the road. You literally have the lease of the vehicle to pay for, and that's it. You won't be doing your brakes every ~30K miles, you won't be changing the oil every 5K, or any minor or intermediate services as fuel powered car requires.

I recently got a chance to test drive an Electric Rav-4, the new model. That is one HELLA quick car. Pulls hard all the way up to about 70. It had more in it, but I didn't go much over that on the highway.

Going around a corner I hit the go pedal real hard and the wheels broke loose like I was on a wet surface. Traction Control didn't know what to do.

Definitely a unique driving experience having electric power, 154ph and 273 ft lb of torque. Awesome.

As far as technology advancing, battery technology has kinda been topping out lately. We've had HUGE advances in Lithium technology lately that have made batteries even lighter and more powerful, but things have kinda gotten about as good as they can possibly get. We will see what advances there are in the next couple of years, but for the past couple of years, not a whole hell of a lot has changed. Not even motor technology, we've made it about as good as it can get.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,583
Saw a thread about electric cars at another site awhile back. One guy there had a Focus Electric and liked it. Tons of arguing in the thread but you might find something of interest. I'll start you on page 2 where the Focus guy pipes up: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...php?p=11864032

He seems like a fairly intelligent guy, the only thing I can't figure out is how he leased one for a claimed 19k price. I didn't care enough to do the math or check in to Fords leases, so maybe it is doable.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,115
"I will be shopping for a new (or used) car to compliment my old toys - the 93 F-250 7.3 NA IDI, and the 81 VW Vanagon. I have been eyeballing electric car because they fit my need the best -- short trips to work and back, groceries and around town errands; and someone has to embrace the technology and buy into it, otherwise, they will go away."

I don't understand how a battery electric car fits your need better than a small fuel efficient gasoline car. I mean, "short trips to work and back, groceries and around town errands" is smack dab in the middle of many 40mpg car's wheelhouse.

With the President pushing BEV development with billions in stimulus money pouring into the industry I doubt they will "go away", whether people buy them or not.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Heck, if I can find 2014 Focus Electric for $19k, I would buy it out right..
Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 2,833
Good for you for wanting to help show there is a market. I can't because we live far back in the woods on a hill. Not a good place for an all electric. I will tell you that batteries aren't something to be afraid of. Our 2001 Insight is still on it's original battery with over 100K on it and is working 100%.
I am seeing a few Leafs around our suburbs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: