User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
wvridgerider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
KTM maintenance

Everyone talks that a KTM is maintenance intensive. I picked up a 06 525XC with a 169 hours on it. The maintenance record, sheet of paper, was given with it. I now have 249 hours on it and looking at the paper there has only been a lot of oil changes. The PO replaced the steering stem bearings, heim joint, front wheel bearings, chain sprockets, and lubed the swing arm bushing at 168hrs. Right now I need to have seals put in the rear shock and I will replace oil and seals in the fork. I change the oil every 15-20 hours and clean the air filter. I adjusted the valves recently. The bike runs great and I consider the work performed on it routine and dont feel that it is maintenance intensive. I hope it keeps on ticking. Do you feel oil changes every 10-20 hours is maintenance intensive. I guess I like the orange kool aid.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,217
Nope, not for a dirt bike that does all these things so well.

Good on ya for not falling for the Internet hype...while others are on the interwebz warning everyone of the doom and gloom of Euro-bike ownership, and patting themselves on the back for being so smart as to buy a "cheap and reliable", we're busy just enjoying our bikes, and not stuck on a certain brand
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,675
Consider a new gen shock set to the correct length. Far better and especially when valved for you. PM me if you need a recommendation on a great guy to build you one, cheap too.

And yes, overblown on the wrenching. My results are the same, oil, brake pads, drive and tires.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
wvridgerider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I really like the bike. I was out of riding for about 20 years and bought a XR400 to see if I wanted to ride again and knew I still enjoy the sport so I unloaded it and now have the 525. The bike handles way better than the XR. I was fortunate that the bikewas already sprung for me. I dual sport it and it is a blast. So far it has been good to me. I don't care about changing oil and such and that needs to be done to all bikes.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,530
People that don't own or have any knowledge of KTMs use terms like "maintenance intensive" as fearful fuel to stay on crappy bikes....

.....which is just fucking fine by me, there are already too many people that ride em!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #6
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,067
sexy bikes

i have one of these XR250R 98 model love it

but bought one of these even after HEARING THE OMG KILLER MAINTENANCE stories an LOVE IT amazing bike.

honestly the most hardcore bike i have ever owned love it

2000 Honda ST1100
raycam01_au is offline   Reply With Quote