Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
/5 headlight wiring questions (with pictures) for the experts

Ladies and Gents,

I'm needing some help with the headlight bucket wiring on my '73 R60/5. I have a color coded wiring diagram and some good photos for reference, but I have four issues that I've confused myself on and need some help with. Here are my current stumbling blocks:

1) I have these two connectors left that seem like they should go together, but their colors are different (brown/black for the male connector coming from the connector block, and brown/yellow for the female connector coming from the turn signal switch/starter button. Here are a few photos:

Better photo:

Almost all other connectors between the connector block and the turn signal/starter button have been accounted for, with exception of an extra green/black terminal (which is issue # 2).

2) I have this loan green/black terminal unused. It is connected to the wire that goes from the turn signal relay back to the turn signal/starter button. You can see the green and black wire running from the turn signal relay up - follow it to about the center of the headlight bucket and you can see the unused female plug. Any ideas? (apologies if this pictures posts sideways, I've been having major problems with Photobucket not linking pictures taken in the portrait format correctly):

3) I had this blue/yellow wire coming from the turn signal/starter button. I read that blue/yellow is ground for the starter relay, so I grounded it on the headlight bucket as follows. Good, or did I misunderstand?

4) The two green/black wires that run to the turn signal relay are both in the terminal labeled 56B. They were like this before, I did not put them there. According to my wiring diagram, they should be in the terminal labeled 31. I only had the bike running for a few moments, but I did notice that the turn signals only worked on one side (I don't remember which). The other side would just come on solid rather than blink. Should I move the green/black wires to terminal 31?

Thanks in advance!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 08:56 PM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,435
From the colors it looks like your right handlebar switch has been replaced with a 1974 only switch?
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I have no idea - if that's the case, I didn't know about it. What colors do you see that make you think that? Any input on my "left over" terminals and wires?

Thanks!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I have no idea - if that's the case, I didn't know about it. What colors do you see that make you think that? Any input on my "left over" terminals and wires?

Thanks!
All of the left over wires. Blue/Yellow is part of the starting circuit(at starter relay) and brown yellow is part of the neutral cut off switch on a /6.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Ahhhhh, interesting. So does that mean that I don't need to wire up those colors?

Thanks again.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

I would need to look at a diagram but I am getting ready to head out of town for a few days.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks for the help so far, Chris, I appreciate it. At least knowing that these colors may be from a different year gives me hope that I don't have this all messed up!

I'm going to move onto wiring the frame side up and will wait for more responses. Worst case, I'll see if there is a local airhead that I can meet up with and compare headlight buckets with.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Thanks for the help so far, Chris, I appreciate it. At least knowing that these colors may be from a different year gives me hope that I don't have this all messed up!

I'm going to move onto wiring the frame side up and will wait for more responses. Worst case, I'll see if there is a local airhead that I can meet up with and compare headlight buckets with.
Look at a 1974 /6 diagram only for that right handlebar switch.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

One more question if anyone is willing to look in their /5 headlight bucket.

I believe two wires ground on the bracket located at 9 O'Clock as you look into the bucket. The first, which I have, is the brown wire from the top right of the terminal board at 12 O'Clock. What color is the 2nd, and where does it come from?

Thanks again!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,356
There is a brown wire coming from the harness for the turn signal switch that is grounded there too. Same harness has green wire with yellow stripe, blue with red stripe and blue with black stripe. All browns are ground...
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks Big Bamboo, I appreciate the help. This all very much supports BMWEuro's theory that someone at some point swapped my turn signal/starter button to a later model. Now I'm just not sure how to wire the newer switch up to my older harness. I don't have a plain brown wire coming from my turn signal/starter button. Here is what I do have, with an (X) next to it if I think it is wired up and accounted for:

Blue/Red (X)
Blue/Black (X)
Blue/Yellow - (currently wired to the ground bracket - possibly wrong)
Brown/Yellow (not wired yet - perhaps it goes to the ground bracket?)
Green/Black (X)
Green/Red (X)
Green/Yellow (X)

In addition to the two ones above that I have questions about, I also have a Brown/Black wire coming from the connector block and ending in a male plug (shown in the 1st and 2nd pictures above). No idea where that one goes either....

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

BMWeuro is correct, the brown wire with yellow stripe is not on a /5 wiring diagram, but it serves the same purpose on the /6 wiring diagram except it makes a detour to the connector board on the way. In both cases it connects the starter switch to the starter relay. It should connect to another brown wire at the connector block, and from there to the starter relay. Don't be disturbed by the later model switch either, it is the same mechanically, just had connectors from the factory, not just the plain soldered wire ends. The green with yellow stripe connects to the turn signal relay at 56a. The blue with yellow is part of the starter cut out circuit. Not used on the /5... Edited: hope this helps!

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 08:01 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,489
I wish I could help you, but I've had my /5 for 19 years, and have never had turn signals on it. I have rewired the bike, twice, and while it can be figured out, things are not pleasant in the headlight bucket for sure. Right now I'm going through the same thing on my T3 guzzi. It's about my least favorite thing to do on a bike.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks Big Bamboo, now I'm getting somewhere!

OK, the Brown/Yellow has been connected to the grounding lug/bracket at 9 o'clock. For now I'm going to assume the blue/yellow is not needed and not connected, since it appears to be for the /6 (just read your edit as I was typing this, thanks again!).

OK, the last mystery wire is this one it the photos below. It comes from the connector block and ends in a male plug as shown. The wife tells me it is Brown/Black (Confusing this entire issue is the fact that I'm color blind. Not black/white, but bad enough that I'm struggling with these wires and the wiring diagrams!). As best I can tell, it runs through connector block and to the same wiring harness that takes the blue/red and blue/black turn signal wires back to the rear turn signals.

Any ideas on this one? Getting that one squared away *should* make me comfortable enough to wire up a battery and pull the ohm meter out!

Thanks so much for your efforts!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

I think that spare brown with black should connect to the brown with yellow from the starter switch, not to ground. See if you have continuity between it and the same wire at the starter relay. It looks to me like a graft between the earlier wiring and the later switch. You COULD eliminate it and connect the brown/yellow directly to the block where the brown/black is now.

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 09:37 PM