Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 02:42 AM   #1
MOTOTRIPASIA OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Question Indonesian Registered Motorbike to Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, ... (SE Asia)

Hi there,

I'm planing to continue my great trip on my small indonesian motorbike (scooter Yamaha X-Ride) from Bali throught Jawa, Sumatra to Malaysia, (if possible Singapore), Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. I listen that to Vietnam and Burma it isn't possible to enter with motorbike from abroad...

Please, what I will need to cross borders to that countries with my motorbike, which is registered in Indonesia on name of my good indonesian friend?

Last year I already drove my bike from Bali until Timor-Leste and back - 2 months, more than 10.000 km, 22 islands and lot of fun.

This year I will join my friends who will be driving old Trabant cars from Australia to Bangkok (http://www.praguepost.com/cinema/442...or-documentary) throught Bali, where I will join to them.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Jirka (from Czech Republic)
Old 02-22-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
deaninkl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
In theory, an Indonesian registered vehicle can enter other ASEAN countries, but in practice it may not be so. Certainly a Malaysian or Singaporean vehicle can do just that. I have traveled to other ASEAN countries with Malaysian registered vehicles.

Having the bike in a friend's name may create an issue, as this would affect insurance. Indonesia generally does not have insurance (yes its included in the license plate) but not valid outside of Indonesia, so you would need to make sure you had valid insurance, all papers and a letter from the owner. But you would still be subject to the whims of every border crossing as Indonesian vehicles generally don't leave Indonesia. Timor Leste, is a simply without rules, so pretty much anything goes.

I hope someone else has better information for you, but I think you need to maybe visit the embassies of the countries you want to visit to get real info... and even then an Indonesian plate at the Thai border will still be fun....

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Didi1234
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi jirga
I have the same interest to ship my indon registered bike to west Malaysia..
According to IMI, Jakarta, you have to buy a carnet from them and you have no problem to ship your vehicle to Malaysia..
I am a Singaporean and the bike is under my friend's name..
It is better to get a real and recent confirmation from fellow bikers..
A French guy had actually shipped his indon bike to port kelang last year..he is shipping again this April on the way home...he had no problem shipping his indon bike...
Hope someone with real and recent experiences will share with us....Indonesian registered bike/car !!

Jirga, do exchange notes on this issue, thanks.
Didi1234 is offline   Reply With Quote